Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

AW

Aug 31, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. The lectures were engaging, the assignments applicable. I really enjoyed being able to review other classmates' assignments from around the world. Very cool concept.

151 - 175 of 189 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

By Rebeca C

Jul 04, 2017

I give four stars because I wanted more about interviews and ethnography, but honestly, I really liked it.

By Xinlin J

Jun 05, 2017

Please provide the complete transcript of a week in pdf format like quantitative research methods?

The slides are too dark (black background) and don't look good in print.

By Ramona R

May 04, 2018

Great basic course on qualitative methods, very practical.

By Julieta R G

Nov 17, 2017

Excellent in everthing! Fun and very interesting! One thing only would make it perfect. Instead of having the slides as notes, the same info could be organised differently in a word document, as it would be easier to read and to print out. But other than that, it was excellent! The prof. is engaging and the lectures very well orgaqnised. Besides, difficult material was made easy.

By Leonid P

Jun 07, 2016

Interesting and very special course ,because of it qualitative nature.Though this also adds the assessment problems.I would give a 5+ ,if not the assessment part.

By Michelle C M J

May 04, 2017

There is no reply in the forums. This is very bad. But the course, in general, was very good.

By Ingo V

Jun 04, 2016

good; but not as good as the other modules in the specialisation; the instructions for the assignments are a bit too convoluted, clarity would be added not by adding more information, but by reducing the text.

By Minhal S K

Sep 22, 2016

The material is good and the professors quirky way of presenting is interesting to me at least. I'm enjoying his lectures and am able to follow his examples.

By Kayode A

May 17, 2018

Nice topics, excellent approach and presentations

By Arwin v d P

Jun 21, 2017

This course is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge on Qualitative Research. Prof. Gerben Moerman is one of the most excited teachers you'll ever 'watch' during any lesson, which makes it even more fun to watch all the lessons. On top of that, the course really touches upon the most important things about this kind of research in a very enjoyable (and not boring-lame-exhausting) way. You have to invest some serious time in doing your weekly tasks, but they are all interesting and easy to make you grab the essence of doing Qualitative Research. Overall, I enjoyed this course very much. It's a lot better than the experience I had at the faculty of religionstudies in Groningen, The Netherlands.

By zeba a

Sep 20, 2017

Its a good introductory course on the topic. Of course, the subject is too wide to fit in a month-long mooc but I felt it was a good primer and touched about key aspects of Qualitative Research Methods, with good references and sign-posting to further in-depth study on the specific topics.

By 赵思奇

Nov 19, 2017

Strong effort on the production team. But I don't think mooc is a suitable format for this course. You can only learn qualitative research by doing it.

By Danielle L

Nov 07, 2017

Overall, a very good course. I'm more analytically minded so I took it as a part of the sequence and there was a bit of a reckoning since it's not a way that I usually think. Regardless, the material was well presented and the lecturer is nothing if not enthusiastic.

By Tyson P d M U

Apr 26, 2018

Pretty good. I learned a lot.

By Clare G

Jul 29, 2019

The assignments were really interesting and I understood everything. However I found the lecturing style distracting so just read the transcripts and slides.

By Davi F L V Z

Sep 05, 2019

Um curso bem estrutura. Os conceitos aqui mostrado são bem definidos e explicados. Ótimo curso!

By Candacee W

Sep 16, 2018

Difficult to understand some assignments and questions. Requires a great deal of work, in addition to attempting to understand what is being asked of students. Excellent content, though!

By Bartosz K

Dec 10, 2015

Good, but it lacks proper materials to come back to - slides are very heavy and not clear and transcript is missing connections to slides.

By Fabian G

Dec 05, 2015

Very convoluted; examples not so clear; still interesting and well produced.

By PHUONG T

Oct 13, 2016

I found this course very useful and would recommend it to friends if they are interested

By Jessica N

Feb 27, 2017

I found the video lectures less helpful with this course (than the quantitative course) and resorted to reading the transcripts in order to learn the important information. I did enjoy the assignments ( observation and interview processes) and found the application helped better understand the theory.

By Diede K

Aug 25, 2017

The amount of information is quite unstructured. I found it difficult to distinguish the essential information from the less important information. Besides that, the subtitles where really bad most of the time. Which was a pity. However, I still learned a lot.

By Carol C

May 17, 2017

The readings were helpful but I would have liked to see more accessible articles. It's not possible to complete all the references during the 8 week course. BUT I will use them to further assist me with diving into my interview data. Thanks for the direction.

By Naohi I

Jul 10, 2017

The course materials and assignments were excellent, but it would be better if the faculty give me some kind of personal comments on our works.

By Matthew B

Jul 11, 2019

The subject matter was interesting and useful to me. The reason I didn't rate the course higher is that I found a lot of the lectures hard to follow because the lecturer often wandered off on tangents or ended thoughts with non sequiturs. This made it hard to understand precisely what he wanted to say, which was a shame when we're dealing with nuanced concepts. My notes are full of question marks because, at times, I truly wasn't sure what information he was trying to tell us. I also found some of the assignments similarly confusing in their instructions and structure. I think this could be helped by working with someone outside the field to polish up the murkier parts of the lectures and assignments.