Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

AW

Aug 31, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. The lectures were engaging, the assignments applicable. I really enjoyed being able to review other classmates' assignments from around the world. Very cool concept.

101 - 125 of 189 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

By hardeep s m

Dec 25, 2015

Excellent course. Prof is just awesome.

By Larissa

Apr 20, 2016

Good combination of theory and practice. For the assignments you have to conduct an observation and an interview and analyse your collected data, without doing this as a researcher there won't be a complete understanding of the discussed theory.

By zabihullah I

Nov 27, 2016

unique course on qualitative research methods,

Dec 24, 2015

An excellent teacher, interesting material, and demanding homework.

By Cynthia Y

Feb 11, 2017

Fun classes, challenging assignments

By James B

Sep 28, 2016

I found this to be an excellent course for not only developing my knowledge of qualitative research methods, but also expanding it. Having done a previous course in University I was surprised at the amount of new information this course had. The peer reviews felt fair and were always informative, I have never been exposed to such global critique!

By Daniel O

Aug 20, 2017

Great starting off point for any one looking to do qualitative research.

By Cassie L

Mar 30, 2018

great course. very enthusiastic lecturer.

By Sophie S

Oct 18, 2017

Great teacher! He has boundless energy and enthusiasm. Because of this enthusiasm, learning is almost effortless. I would certainly recommend the course to others.

By Mirza J A C

Jun 14, 2018

I think is a very didactic course, and friendly.

By Kate W

Mar 03, 2016

The lecture videos are interesting, engaging, and informative, and the assignments are so much fun to complete!

By Dmitry T

Apr 19, 2016

The lector is just amazingly incredible!!!

By Juan D d C R

Jul 30, 2017

Excellent in all ways! I enjoyed a lot doing field work and analyzing results from all over the world

By Jacqueline G

Jan 31, 2017

This course is so well done! The classes are taught with enthusiasm and the material covered is very interesting and valuable. Loved this class!

By Elpida S

Jun 12, 2018

Very well organised course useful material well educated ProfessorVery interesting approach for assigments Despite it is so much theoretical it provides the suitable knowledge to undestood the not only the learning process but the aspects of society. Assigments made us to investigate , to search, to code to interprete.. alone. I will reccomend to everyone.

By Nina X

Oct 26, 2017

The passion of lecturer made the complicated terminology FUN!

By Aigli R

Mar 21, 2018

Very informative course, very engaging videos and assignments that might come along as time consuming but that they really help you to grasp each concept/ tehcnique discussed. Highly recommended for people interested in research methods (not only qualitative) in social sciences.

By Sen W

Mar 20, 2016

For a Chinese student who rarely had experience touch on Western Philosophy, the startling line is a little complex and hard to gain the "pure meaning" of the course. But after look the videos over and over again, I feel better now. In China, I never witnessed a teacher jumping in front of the students, in front of the camera or in the livid classroom. So I really appreciate to see Mr. Moerman who show his passion in the field of study and teaching itself. I really love this course and the "elephants".

Now I have less than 24 hours to finish the first assignment. Though many website are forbid by the "Great wall", such as google, I will do my best to finish the assignment which is the first English homework in my life.

By Rodrigo R F

Jan 02, 2018

Great course. Very important to understand basic concepts on qualitative research!

By Kelly O

May 29, 2017

Great course with a solid introduction to qualitative research methods. Loved the enthusiasm in the videos and the assignments were practical and great practice to use the methods taught.

By Dr. S H

Nov 01, 2017

Excellent Course. Very interactive. Faculty is excellent. Keeps the learner engaged for 8 weeks!!!

By Nicole B

May 14, 2018

I learned a lot and will probably continue with the other courses on qualitative research from this series. :)

By Stella G

Feb 05, 2018

Very good course and very worthwhile your time. The lecturer is very enthusiastic and will also make you enthusiastic about qualitative research. To really understand qualitative research you need to do more reading on your own but this course gives a good overview

By Karen B

Aug 10, 2016

Excellent introduction to qualitative research methods. Loved the lecturers enthusiastic style and quirky sense of humour. Very engaging.

Assessments were practical and supported the course material.

By Linda.Zh

Aug 29, 2017

It is a fantastic course. It deepens my understanding of qualitative research methods and prepares me with basic skills in doing qualitative research. It is perfect for beginners. The lecturer Dr Moerman is very passionate, logic and funny in these lectures. It has been a very enjoyable learning experience.