Back to Queering Identities: LGBTQ+ Sexuality and Gender Identity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Queering Identities: LGBTQ+ Sexuality and Gender Identity by University of Colorado System

In this course, you will explore the history of LGBTQ identities, experiences, and activism. We’ll study major events in global LGBTQ history, investigate local histories of queer and transgender people and communities, and consider how LGBTQ histories have helped shape broader conversations about civil rights, equality, and justice....

MD
Aug 20, 2020

I loved every aspect of his course. I am someone who has a very substantial foundation of knowledge towards the Queer community, but this course taught me a lot more than I haven't thought about yet.

TP
May 13, 2020

Got a better perspective of LGBTQ+ community and it was a well informed course altogether. Came across many new terminologies and etiquette related to the community, which I was unaware of.

1 - 25 of 80 Reviews for Queering Identities: LGBTQ+ Sexuality and Gender Identity

By Treesa P

May 14, 2020

By Kayla M

Jun 30, 2020

Fantastic course! Learning about queer theory was so interesting. Kudos for including so many unique voices and perspectives.

By Raina B T

Aug 4, 2020

This course was very informative and I learned a lot. However, the way the course is structured is an issue. Why is it that I can only complete the quizzes in the course if I pay 50 dollars to gain a course certificate? I am taking the courses on Coursera to learn about things that I won't learn in school, not to get the certificate and recognition or credit. I want to be able to make sure that I gained the knowledge that I was supposed to gain without being required to pay fifty dollars to do so. I would have given this course five stars if it had been structured like all of the other courses that I have taken on Coursera, with the quizzes available even without purchasing the certificate for the course.

By Sky L

Jun 23, 2020

This course does not let you submit your answers to quiz without upgrading first. This is very unfortunate as it seemed like a great course up until this point. Hopefully in the future this course will be accessible to people who are this point are not ready or are unable to upgrade to pay for a course certificate (before completion).

By Yuvraj S

Jul 17, 2020

It was such a great and diverse course. I got to know about so many different issues that queer people face and I didn't even know about. I am a queer boy who grew up in a homophobic country. And it wasn't legal to be homosexual in my country until last year. LGBTQIA+ issues are not openly discussed in my country so I was unaware of a lot of things. I didn't even know about all the identities that exist. And this course helped me learn that and much more. It was truly enlightening and I am grateful to both professor Dr. Katie and Dr. Jacob for creating this wonderful course!

By Bernadine I I L

Aug 21, 2020

Taking this course is one of the best decisions I made this summer! The sheer volume of narratives and stories of human experiences helped me understand the concepts and theories more deeply as well as empathize with LGBTQ+ persons on a more emotional level. Each resource is carefully chosen and has contributed immensely to my understanding of each topic. Kudos to the instructors for putting this course together so masterfully!

By Eleni A

Mar 1, 2020

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to not only take this course but be exposed to the wealth of knowledge that both lecturer's provided as well as the interviews and resources that were made available after every lecture. I am not from the USA so that exposure was fantastic and I feel far more well rounded and educated and more so,mindful when talking to any individual Thank you very much.

By Neha A

Nov 8, 2020

This course has helped me immensely in understanding about LGBTQIA+ community and it also helped in busting a lot of misconceptions that sometimes go overlooked even within the movement. This has changed my perception of looking at the world which often is branded as existing in binaries which is simply a social construct. The explanations were intensive, and highly informative.

By John W S

Oct 10, 2020

Not only does this course do a good job at dissecting the history of queer identity, but it also leaves a lot open ended as this is an ever-changing topic. The resources that they have prepared for additional reading are amazing and allow us to dive into the topics that interest us the most.

By Srishti S

Jul 13, 2020

A very informative and interesting course. I learned a lot of new things in this course about the LGBTQ+ community. Highly recommended by everyone who wants to know more about the community. The instructors were also really nice and very well aware regarding the subject at hand

By Tom B

Sep 26, 2020

This course is a great overview of theory regarding LGBTQ+ issues, history and further matters. As someone who is already into the topic, this course still was useful to get topical lectures in various domains and I also learned some new things. It was great!

By Dr. G

Jun 12, 2020

It is a wonderful course. Before joining the course I was confused about the LGBTQ issues and its theories. Now i have a lot of resources and reading material provided by Coursera. I can expand it in my research. Thank you very much for the insightful course.

By Animesh B

Jan 8, 2020

The course lived up to its objectives of creating awareness about sexuality and gender identity. It helped develop understanding about the latest issues and challenges in the queer space and provided great online resources to learn more on the topic.

By Karen A S

Nov 10, 2019

Taught me quite a bit about a culture that I have lived in for over 50 years. I mistakenly believe “I knew a lot about the LBGT+ culture”. I was wrong. I am much more savvy about the LBGT+ world and the changes that continue to happen with my world.

By Grace S

Sep 16, 2020

I really loved this course! I am apart of the LGBTQ+ community, but it is extremely helpful and interesting to learn more about Queer Theory/History, as well as how to approach others that are of a different orientation or sexuality than myself.

By Juan A P A

Sep 2, 2020

This course was just amazing, I really caught a lot of information and it was very well explained. I was hoping the instructors would interact more with the students but I didn't see any replies of them in the forums, but the course is worth it

By Jade C

Oct 26, 2020

I enjoyed the readings! Particularly the discussion on the controversy of allowing trans athletes in sports was very interesting for me. It made me aware of my own biases and challenge my beliefs by reading more about the medical aspect of it.

By Vladyslav I

Apr 8, 2020

I'm very grateful for the course instructors a valuable knowledge I tend to use while being a youth/social worker.

Moreover, the course materials allow me to reflect on my personal views and perceptions about gender social norms and practices.

By Bharath

Apr 29, 2020

The course really enlightens the knowledge of LGBTQ+ community. It explains the terms, definitions and the ideas in a well versed clear cut ways and the sources given for the reading is really helpful. I would recommend this course 5/5.

By Nikolaos L

May 15, 2020

This course is very interesting and intriguing. It offers an excellent introduction to LGBTIQ+ history, terminology and theories. It is highly recommended to those who want to work in LGBTIQ+ activism and research.

By Mark I L

Nov 27, 2020

This course has the sharpest take when it comes to contemporary LGBT issues around the world. Calm discussion but it's messages has been burning like a wildfire. Thank you so much to the teachers in this course!

By Marisa D

Aug 21, 2020

By ISADORA M G

Jul 24, 2020

This course was great! I learned a lot and the resources were amazing. Thank you so much for the opportunity. Here in Chile we have lot to learn and not a lot of places or courses to get informed.

By ELLANCHIKKUMAR T

Sep 9, 2020

It is an essential course to everyone. Many queer people are oppressed in many parts of the world. They are also humans. We should respect them and treat them equally.

By Eva T

Jul 29, 2020

The course material was informative and I enjoyed learning about this topic, the professors were also clear in relaying the material. All in all, it was great!