Back to Queering Identities: LGBTQ+ Sexuality and Gender Identity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Queering Identities: LGBTQ+ Sexuality and Gender Identity by University of Colorado System

In this course, you will explore the history of LGBTQ identities, experiences, and activism. We’ll study major events in global LGBTQ history, investigate local histories of queer and transgender people and communities, and consider how LGBTQ histories have helped shape broader conversations about civil rights, equality, and justice....

MD
Aug 20, 2020

I loved every aspect of his course. I am someone who has a very substantial foundation of knowledge towards the Queer community, but this course taught me a lot more than I haven't thought about yet.

TP
May 13, 2020

Got a better perspective of LGBTQ+ community and it was a well informed course altogether. Came across many new terminologies and etiquette related to the community, which I was unaware of.

1 - 25 of 121 Reviews for Queering Identities: LGBTQ+ Sexuality and Gender Identity

By Raina B T

Aug 4, 2020

This course was very informative and I learned a lot. However, the way the course is structured is an issue. Why is it that I can only complete the quizzes in the course if I pay 50 dollars to gain a course certificate? I am taking the courses on Coursera to learn about things that I won't learn in school, not to get the certificate and recognition or credit. I want to be able to make sure that I gained the knowledge that I was supposed to gain without being required to pay fifty dollars to do so. I would have given this course five stars if it had been structured like all of the other courses that I have taken on Coursera, with the quizzes available even without purchasing the certificate for the course.

By Sky L

Jun 23, 2020

This course does not let you submit your answers to quiz without upgrading first. This is very unfortunate as it seemed like a great course up until this point. Hopefully in the future this course will be accessible to people who are this point are not ready or are unable to upgrade to pay for a course certificate (before completion).

By Treesa P

May 14, 2020

By ELLANCHIKKUMAR T

Sep 9, 2020

It is an essential course to everyone. Many queer people are oppressed in many parts of the world. They are also humans. We should respect them and treat them equally.

By Thomas F

Mar 26, 2021

I found that the Instructors were very knowledgeable and engaging. The readings both required and optional were extremely helpful to me. I really enjoyed this course.

By Kayla M

Jun 30, 2020

Fantastic course! Learning about queer theory was so interesting. Kudos for including so many unique voices and perspectives.

By Matija H

Jun 17, 2021

B​efore taking this course, I imagined taking it would make me even more accepting and inclusive of people who identify as something other than the two binary genders and heteronormatively defined sexualities. While this is certainly the case and I feel I have learned much that I hadn't known before about this fascinating aspect of humanity, taking Queering Identities had an entirely unexpected additional effect on me: I feel I am now more accepting of everyone, including myself! I particularly enjoyed the fact that the two excellent educators brought in a wide range or authentic and relevant voices and stories to help bridge the gap of understanding for anyone at the deepest common level of humanity that we all share.

By Yuvraj S

Jul 17, 2020

It was such a great and diverse course. I got to know about so many different issues that queer people face and I didn't even know about. I am a queer boy who grew up in a homophobic country. And it wasn't legal to be homosexual in my country until last year. LGBTQIA+ issues are not openly discussed in my country so I was unaware of a lot of things. I didn't even know about all the identities that exist. And this course helped me learn that and much more. It was truly enlightening and I am grateful to both professor Dr. Katie and Dr. Jacob for creating this wonderful course!

By Aedrian A

Jan 25, 2021

This is a highly insightful course on being on the loop in current sexuality and gender identity issues. To understand and contribute favorably in addressing the challenges and concerns faced by LGBTQ+-identifying members of society, we must hit the ground running by learning the relevant lexicon, its history and its implications - and this course delivers in that regard. The material may hopefully inspire the learners to know themselves better on these issues and in doing their own way to make the world a more accepting place.

By Paul A

May 8, 2021

An incredibly well-organized course, with engaging instructors and rich readings, videos, and supplementary material. As a cisgender heterosexual male from an Asian American upbringing, I previously had only a cursory understanding of the issues facing the LGBTQ+ community, and this crash course was an incredible launchpad to further my education and have meaningful and contributory discussions in this area. One of the best courses I had had the privilege of taking on the Coursera platform.

By Bernadine I I L

Aug 21, 2020

Taking this course is one of the best decisions I made this summer! The sheer volume of narratives and stories of human experiences helped me understand the concepts and theories more deeply as well as empathize with LGBTQ+ persons on a more emotional level. Each resource is carefully chosen and has contributed immensely to my understanding of each topic. Kudos to the instructors for putting this course together so masterfully!

By Eleni A

Mar 1, 2020

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to not only take this course but be exposed to the wealth of knowledge that both lecturer's provided as well as the interviews and resources that were made available after every lecture. I am not from the USA so that exposure was fantastic and I feel far more well rounded and educated and more so,mindful when talking to any individual Thank you very much.

By Neha A

Nov 8, 2020

This course has helped me immensely in understanding about LGBTQIA+ community and it also helped in busting a lot of misconceptions that sometimes go overlooked even within the movement. This has changed my perception of looking at the world which often is branded as existing in binaries which is simply a social construct. The explanations were intensive, and highly informative.

By Corine R

Feb 23, 2021

Eaxctly what I needed! I'm currently studying to be a sex therapist and there's a major lack of informations about LGBTQ+ reality, informations, etc.. And this course helped me to have a solid base regarding queer reality and LGBTQ+ reality. This course is really complete and I would like to thank my two teachers ; Dr. McWilliams and Dr. Mohrman!

By vasiliki s

Jan 25, 2021

I would like to thank both instructors for this enlighting and informative course. Even though I work in the field of institutionalised implementation of gender equality, I had some gaps. Through this course, I managed to clarify crucial terms and to become able to propose more inclusive policies on gender equality. Thank you!

By John W S

Oct 10, 2020

Not only does this course do a good job at dissecting the history of queer identity, but it also leaves a lot open ended as this is an ever-changing topic. The resources that they have prepared for additional reading are amazing and allow us to dive into the topics that interest us the most.

By Srishti S

Jul 13, 2020

A very informative and interesting course. I learned a lot of new things in this course about the LGBTQ+ community. Highly recommended by everyone who wants to know more about the community. The instructors were also really nice and very well aware regarding the subject at hand

By Tom B

Sep 26, 2020

This course is a great overview of theory regarding LGBTQ+ issues, history and further matters. As someone who is already into the topic, this course still was useful to get topical lectures in various domains and I also learned some new things. It was great!

By Dr. G

Jun 12, 2020

It is a wonderful course. Before joining the course I was confused about the LGBTQ issues and its theories. Now i have a lot of resources and reading material provided by Coursera. I can expand it in my research. Thank you very much for the insightful course.

Apr 10, 2021

I really love the two teachers who have always been so devoted and open about many aspects of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation among other topics. They project a sense of hospitability and that makes me feel so enthusiastic to continue this journey!

By Ran B R

May 22, 2021

Great course combining comprehensive basic information with deeper dives on several subjects, including plenty of resources for learning more. I especially appreciated the many interviews.

One note: many of the mid-video quizzes grade True/False incorrectly

By Animesh B

Jan 8, 2020

The course lived up to its objectives of creating awareness about sexuality and gender identity. It helped develop understanding about the latest issues and challenges in the queer space and provided great online resources to learn more on the topic.

By Pragyan

Jun 6, 2021

The course is an absorbing and informative take on the subject. The topics intrigued me to explore furthermore and contemplate deeply. The reading materials were helpful and educative. It contextualizes the radical aspect of the queering identities.

By Karen A S

Nov 10, 2019

Taught me quite a bit about a culture that I have lived in for over 50 years. I mistakenly believe “I knew a lot about the LBGT+ culture”. I was wrong. I am much more savvy about the LBGT+ world and the changes that continue to happen with my world.

By Grace S

Sep 16, 2020

I really loved this course! I am apart of the LGBTQ+ community, but it is extremely helpful and interesting to learn more about Queer Theory/History, as well as how to approach others that are of a different orientation or sexuality than myself.