Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

51 - 75 of 1,444 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By AHMAD W T

Jul 31, 2020

No doubt I have learned a lot from this course. Deep insight regarding research methodology. My capabilities are now being enhanced to write a research proposal as compared to before starting of this course. Now the sequence of the research proposal will be more clear and in logical pattern. I tried it again to write, now the first proposal has been improved in understanding.

By Sothearak N

Jun 12, 2016

I am really impressed with the opinion and examples from different scholars on each topic of each lesson of the week. This gives me a better grasp on understanding Research Methodology Clearer which I couldn't even attain when I was in my unstandardized college in Cambodia. I'd definitely recommend this course to my fellow and junior classmates who wish to study research.

By John C C

Jul 3, 2020

Learned a lot from the course. It expanded the mind on research methods. The videos shared are inspiring and very informative. Grateful to the people behind this course. Happy to know that are people coming from different backgrounds joined the course. Nice to read their comments and reviews on my work. Thumbs up to the professors who facilitated in this undertaking. 😊

By LAURA N A B

Jul 12, 2017

El curso es muy amigable y me agradó la modalidad de entrevistas a investigadores para que hablaran desde su experiencia, además las lecturas propuestas son muy útiles y fáciles de comprender. Realizar y recibir retroalimentación fue valioso, sugeriría en este sentido, mayor claridad en las indicaciones para enviar tareas, ya que los trabajos variaron mucho en calidad.

By Miguel A L N

May 22, 2019

Excelente curso. Me pareció muy completo ya que nos da un panorama muy detallado de lo que significa la investigación y los métodos y enfoques a seguir. Además, la utilización de videos explicativos facilitan el aprendizaje y la retención de la información. Adicional, las lecturas complementan los videos y hacen que de comprenda con mayor facilidad los conceptos.

By Mauricio G R

Apr 6, 2020

Creo que es un curso bastante dinámico, en lo personal creo que es muy bueno conocer las diferentes perspectivas de otros investigadores, en cuanto al enfoque y la postura al momento de recibir críticas sobre nuestro trabajo, al mismo tiempo, cuales son los resultados que busco, independientemente de mi area de investigación....¡muy, muy buen curso!

¡Saludos!

By Sahla N M

Apr 10, 2020

Now I can easily figure out how to start, run and enrich my research paper and make it valuable. Thanks a lot to coursera for running such useful free online courses and making knowledge free for students like me. And also thanks a lot to University of London. I've really enjoyed my course under my incredible instructors Dr. J Simon Rofe and Dr. Yenn Lee.

By Jun H L

Aug 8, 2016

It was nice and abundant for the 'basic' understanding about research methods. It leads to the further more deepen methodological approaches. If you already know about qualitative or quantitative something, it will be easy for you however if you are unfamiliar any other methodological approaches, this course give you essential information about that.

By Martin Z

Jul 31, 2020

Me encantó el curso. Creo que es conciso, va al punto, presenta diferentes tópicos de interés para quien se haya sumado al curso. Desde el lado de alguien que no tiene al inglés como su lengua materna, sostengo que los textos son de fácil comprensión si se tiene un inglés relativamente aceitado, algo que me preocupaba al comienzo. Lo recomiendo!

By Fahin R A

Jun 2, 2020

This seemed like a course that people at any education level can benefit from immensely and also can complete within a short time. Different perspectives about the same concept from different exemplars especially make sure you connect to the views. As for myself, it cleared up Literature reviews for me with which I had been struggling for long!

By Turky S A

To be honest, when I heard about this course I said to my self what can I get from it? I have been studied research method before, but after I listened to the videos and read the documents, I realised that, there are lots of knowledge that I really want to study it more and more. I recommend this course for all students. It is really helpful.

By Namrata J

Apr 30, 2020

In general, many consider the literature review to be a less important and time-consuming activity. The course helps in understanding the importance of reviewing the literature ....it is the foundation of success for any research activity. Thanks to Simon, Yen and Dr. Sandra. Their explanations helped me in understanding the concepts better.

By Paritosh D

Feb 4, 2018

A course which is highly recommended for people who would like a short, primer type, introduction to research. The videos were short, simple and at the same time very informative. People, especially beginning researchers, think research is all about statistics. this is not the case and this course will orient you in the right direction.

By Anurag B

Really well explained and well crafted course. Many things to learn in fact with reference to the knowledge of how to conduct literature review and selection of research methods band research design. I have gained some great experiences while undergoing the course. Thank you again. Will look forward for more courses in near future.

By Shyam K

May 3, 2020

"Understanding Research Methods" is one of the best course in Coursera. I would like to thank to the University of London and Coursera for providing me this great opportunity to upgrade & enhance my Knowledge in research area. All the topics are well presented and explained. From all the videos and assignments I have learnt a lot.

By Srey U

Jan 5, 2018

Research is the systematic process of collecting and analysing information in order to increase our understanding of the phenomenon with which we are concerned or intersted .

Research must be systrmatic -it follows certain steps that are logical order

Understanding the nature of problems to be studied and idenntifying the relatesd

By Dr.Debasmita M

Jul 9, 2020

An excellent course for understanding what research is and what are the steps taken to undergo any kind of research,how to choose a topic of research and most importantly, the utility of a research.It also aims on the quality of research,different approaches and how should it be presented in writing properly to convince others.

By ASHWINI S

Jul 9, 2020

It good and helpful to what is e_ tivity and then how to work useful for we need a special skill then we use to now how to work it first we make use the video the we object it then we finished it very will we should no what use this and it many times very to students and their can make use of it is are to knowledge are education

By Abdul J

Jul 19, 2020

This course helped me a lot to get the correct insight of what research methodology is, how to pose a research question and hot to know to be a good researcher. It was pleasant to listen top notch exemplars and to learn them from their experiences. The activities were also beneficial to flourish in writing and assessing skills.

By Sneha S

Sep 24, 2020

I really loved this course. The topics are very well explained and helps us in understanding the content in depth. I personally loved this subject because as a BBA student, it helped me a lot to improve my knowledge in research methodology. Those who would like to know more about research should certainly go for this course.

By Francisco G H R

Dec 6, 2017

If you are not sure on how to start your research proposal, this is your first stop. Short, concise videos, precice, good readings and quick feedback response. I only wish it was longer and covered each unit of the proposed book weekly. It cleared many doubts and I feel confident to keep learning about this topic on my own.

By Pravin B

May 23, 2020

Best Course !!. Well detail about research work has given, Best course for students in science I would like to give suggestion that one module should be for literature review and citation of the problem, So, students can understand more details about importance of literature survey and how they can summarizing literature .

By Derek L

Sep 8, 2020

Enjoyable, informative, and admirable succinct in 4 weeks or parts. At about 2 hours per part it took me a few days. Exceeded my expectations. I learnt what to do, and how to assess quality and value for a literature review in week 2. Research question in week 2 and research design in week 3 were particularly valuable.

By Nurlan J

Sep 11, 2018

The course was nicely designed and helped me to explore new perspectives and expand my questioning skills to master them. Moreover, it provided valuable real-life experiences and advices from senior scholars which improved the practicality of the course.

Thank you for everything, dear University of London and the Team!

By MR. S K S

Sep 21, 2020

Understanding Research Methods gave ooverview of the current research topic or area of study under consideration. Also learned Objective of the literature review and significant sources selected for the current work. Added too Discussion of both the distinctiveness of each source and its similarities with the others.