Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG

Jul 27, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB

Sep 10, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

51 - 75 of 504 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Xenia M

Jul 17, 2017

It was a good and clear course that helped me organize myself and understand better the requierments to do a quality scientific work.

By Eddah K

Jun 26, 2016

This course has given me a new energy to move on with my research. I loved the advice on the need to plan and manage well and to ensure one writes something everyday. Thank you and I look forward for more topics.

By Ijem O

Oct 27, 2016

In learning the precepts of carrying out research and its methods, this course stands me in better stead as a researcher.

By EBENEZER A

Jan 30, 2018

Very helpful content.

By zabihullah I

Aug 17, 2015

great course

By Anindita S

Jul 03, 2017

Very well- structured. Enjoying the Assignments.

By Karl P R M

Nov 05, 2015

In terms of delivery, the course delivery was very simple, critical and relevant. The course content was very engaging as it included interviews with graduate students and professors alike who are doing their researches. Quite fittingly, I commend the creators of this course for recognizing the fact that most online courses on research methods out there focus on having a linear tackling of lesson topics. For this course, it stressed the key issues and reflections of individuals who are doing the actual rudiments of the thing we call "research". More importantly, this course was also critical and relevant in many respects as it allowed us to have some write-ups about the topics without requiring us to go through many readings. It is in this sense that I would say that it its relevant--concise and direct in its approach, the instructors have seen to it that what they are to discuss will be the things which new comers to the research endeavor might ask.

Kudos to the team! And my warmest regards to all of you! =D

By Maria T O

Apr 07, 2017

The course is very good.

By 徐进

Oct 07, 2016

good

By Kseniia B

Dec 05, 2016

Great

By E. S S

Aug 17, 2015

Really helpful course, just the right length, from a prestigious University.

By Turlea O

May 25, 2016

A really fantastic course for those who want to learn how to do great research!

By Sanjogita M

Mar 21, 2018

Very well structured course and good assignments.

By THU Y A

Sep 26, 2017

a great introductory course.

By Edgar J C C

Sep 21, 2015

clear and to point

By Scott56

Mar 07, 2016

Horrible. This course is too fun, too short, and a big teaser. The discussion forum is congenial and academically stimulating. I hope it leads to a follow-up continuation.

By basem m s

Nov 15, 2015

very brilliant course

By Ahmer J K

Aug 08, 2017

Great course with thought provoking discussions which give new meaning to academic research and food for thought.

By Francisca G G

Jul 03, 2017

Well structured and helpfull! A must do!

By Ghayda A

Sep 04, 2017

This course has helped me to build a mini proposal, for a paper I've been thinking about for two years. I owe the course its encouragement and giving me the 'push' to write something on this subject. I will always remember a sentence from the last video: "Research isn't something one does between 9 and 5. It's something you wake up in the small hours of the morning thinking about."

By Katherine S

Mar 30, 2017

Really loved this course. It was completely understandable and easy to apply to my own project. I only wish there was more to the review function!