Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

176 - 200 of 1,499 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Rivera c

May 15, 2020

understanding research methods are very useful to me. it is a very good approach for all the scholar students who are studied. A very good platform for learning everything. thank you very much.

By Manju P K

Jul 16, 2020

I am very lucky to do the course through coursera. The reading material is and resourses are arranged in an efficient order. Resourceful RPs. Really amazing and wonderful corse arrangement.

By 19SME10 M S

Sep 21, 2020

I am a first generation graduate in my family and my exposure to the aspects of research is minimal. This course expanded my knowledge on research methods. Thanks to the teachers of coursera.

By Dr. M Y

Feb 29, 2020

The course was very informative and provides comprehensive information about Research methodology, review of literature and planning to be done for successful completion of proposed research.

By Shirley, Y C

Aug 2, 2020

This is truly a great lesson for a biggner to learn and understand what is about "Research". The 4 -week lessons helped me to build a clear structure for the procedure of a research purpose.

By Novi A T

Jun 30, 2020

This course really helps me understanding how to make a good research project. As a lecturer, it is really helpful and insightful. Thank you very much, especially to the coaches. Keep it up!

By Cesar G G R

Apr 19, 2019

excelente curso,tiene buenas herramientas como vídeos,texto,la información es clara y concisa.

Excelente curso,agradezco mucho la informacion ,me ayudo a centrar los objetivos de mi proyecto.

By M T R

Apr 13, 2020

It is a useful course and the teaching materials; especially the video lessons are engaging. This course has helped me to improve my research skill. Thanks to the instructors and Coursera.

By alireza m

Nov 19, 2020

it is a valuable course for everybody who wants to gain a true understanding of research. Thank you to all professors who teach me primary concepts of research with an effective approach.

By Dr. K R

Jul 30, 2019

Highly useful course! It change my attitude towards Research and writing a project proposal. I recommend this course for the students/academicians who are interested in pursuing Research!

By Onkar A

May 13, 2020

very good and to the point course, nothing excess, instructors both simon and yenn are good. All the interviewees also gave very helpful insights on reseaching, Thank you simon and yenn!

By Muhammad F A

Apr 10, 2020

It was really my good experience of online learning, Your video structure well design with proper step. I really understood about research; and now able to start research writing. Thanks

By Alnie E N

Dec 27, 2020

I'm enlightened the distinction of the three methods that guide me on what types of method i should choose with respect to the data available, variables to consider and analysis needed.

By Dragana A

Jun 17, 2020

Amazing course which will help you navigate through the course of actions with your research. It really helped me understand how it should be done and where should I focus my energy to.

By Sruthi V S

Oct 26, 2020

This course has helped me with understanding the basics of research methodology. I hope to use what I have learnt here in my personal journey towards gaining higher studies. Thank you.

By IkramUllah K

Apr 27, 2020

Exceptionally well organized course. It provides deep insight into complex elements of research methodology like Literature Review. I highly recommend it to students and professionals.

By Adesikeola O

Apr 14, 2020

Great Course. However, the course can be enhanced if it is extended to cover more explanation on;

Analysis of data in mixed-method research

Validity and Reliability of Research Findings

By Lalitha T

Aug 31, 2020

Thanks to the organisers team , i enjoyed very much to know about the reasearch review about a topic...

& I should thank to my peers also to reviewed &discussed in my assignment topic.

By Dr M A S

Jul 6, 2020

The Course gave an insight into the basics of the research methods. This has brought a clarity to me as a teacher and researcher. A good combination of reading, listening and writing.

By ArunPrabu C H

Feb 20, 2020

The course gave me insights into various approaches to research. It also gave me an understanding of different methods to solve a problem. I am happy indeed to have taken this course.

By Mohammed N F

Nov 12, 2019

The course is amazing as it provides a deeper insight into the various nuances of the activities that one needs to take care which carrying out quality research of world class repute.

By Manohar G

Mar 4, 2018

Tis a simple and good module for beginners to plan and understand various strategies in organizing themselves for impactful research and hear tips from various experts in the field..

By Pratheeksha R

Jul 20, 2020

As a new and a beginner as a researcher, this course was extremely helpful. The speakers guide us and give us a clarity in regards with many problems that might occur in the future.

By mohamud

Jan 5, 2017

the course was very interesting and i have benefited more about understanding research methods it will help me do a good research by applying what i have learnt. thank you so much.

By Dr V K C

May 5, 2020

Known more about various types of reviews, Important elements of literature review, planning and management skills and how to frame a research question. Thanks to the Instructors..