Back to Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin by University of California, Santa Cruz

In this course, Peter Kenez, Professor Emeritus at UC Santa Cruz, explains the events of modern Russian history and introduces its most significant actors—from Vladimir Lenin to Vladimir Putin....

JM

Aug 29, 2019

My first ever online course, and what a great start. The Professor leading it was very good at explaining the fasicating and recent history of Russia with a personal touch. 5/5

AG

Mar 26, 2018

Great class and the professor did an excellent job relaying the information. Honestly, I wish it was a little longer and a little more in depth. Definitely, learned a lot.

1 - 25 of 77 Reviews for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

By Jesper O A

Dec 17, 2017

Mr Kenez is making a remarkable presentation of Russian history. Very structured and balanced. Impressive knowledge. Thanks for a very interesting course.

By sanjay R

Mar 06, 2019

This is a very balanced and in depth journey about Russia by the leading scholar. Every episode was a such a treat. Highly grateful and Salute !

By Greg L

Apr 16, 2018

The flow of the lectures was challenging to follow and, while the opinions of the professor appeared to be logical and well founded, I struggled with finding documented support for some of the assertions.

By Armando B M

Jan 29, 2019

Great course!!!! Thank you very much prof. Peter kenez. I've learned a lot!!!!!!

By Jay v R

Jan 29, 2019

Excellent course that showed me a really broad picture of Russian history in the 20th century. Professor did an excellent job in opening various aspects of such a complex topic. My only concern was that his English was a tiny bit broken and he spoke quite slowly (so I watched everything on 1.25x speed). All in all it was a great experience!

By Jeff B

Feb 05, 2019

Terrific class. Vastly knowledgeable and charming professor. Hours of interesting lectures that are both cogent and entertaining. Dr. Kenezs' insites are valuable and relevant and a product of his obvious mastery of the subject.

A small disappointment of mine was that there wasn't any supplimenntary reading required or suggested. I only wish that there were links to optional relevent reading for each module. But this is a minor point for overachievers like myself. The lectures provide enough material to get a good handle on the subject and Trranscript s are also available for rereading.

Thanks for a great class!

By Gerald H

Jan 23, 2019

I learned an entirely different impression of Russian history and gained more understanding of the people, I felt the instructor presented the history as a story with great background and experience, A wonderful course.

By Tony M

Feb 22, 2019

Excellent teacher and course!

By Olga S

Mar 09, 2019

Thank you, professor, for your deep understanding of Russian history and Russian soul.

By Limell L

Mar 20, 2019

Thank you professor Kenez for this excellent course! I enjoyed it immensely and learned a great deal.

By Ricardo M A

Apr 07, 2019

I had the feeling of great impartiality in this course.

By Peter B

Dec 12, 2018

This course gives a great overview of Russian history: It explains why Russian / Soviet leaders did what they did, but it describes the "immense" suffering of ordinary citizens in the 20th century, too. Thank you, Peter Kenez!

By Daniel D

Apr 11, 2018

Está increíble. Gran profesor, gran clase. Thank you very much for this.

By Yuliya U

Feb 09, 2018

Thanks to Dr. Kenez! Very interesting course!

By Joshua C S B

Jan 28, 2018

Amazing experience for a Mexican student

By Anubhav R

Jun 02, 2018

Really nice, accurate and informative course.

By Risovas, J J

Jan 22, 2018

Fantastic revelation, thank you!

By alejandro

Nov 25, 2017

Great lectures with outstanding photo-illustrations. I highly recommend this course because it is delivered without bias, as it is all too easy to view events from your own cultural perspective.

This is the first time the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact was placed in context of the Allies "tacit approval" of the Nazi invasion of Czechoslovakia and the Nazi assistance to Franco's destruction of Republic Spain.

By Gabriel H B

Nov 28, 2017

Pretty good for a short Coursera course, though it's much easier to follow if the subject matter is already familiar to you. To get the most out of it I recommend reading a short book about the history of Russia in advance, such as "Russian History: A Very Short Introduction" by Geoffrey Hosking.

By Howard G M

Mar 14, 2018

Well done. I will be taking a Russian History at Emory this Spring and this course: Russian History: from Lenin to Putin will have prepared me well. For me, taking this course was a bit of a rush since I do not need a certificate and had to reschedule it in order to complete it. That is the only thing I do not care for at Coursera; I am not allowed

By Ivan O

Dec 29, 2017

Excellent course and great lecturer.

By Shaleen P

Jun 14, 2018

Very clear and in-depth discussion of events.

By Robert K

Apr 27, 2018

Major featers: exellent narration, informative and perceptive, unbiased and thought-provoking.

I liked the structure and the way the topics were identified and discussed. My knowledge of Russian history greatly expanded and I learned interesting ways of approaching and explaining historical events.

Thank you.