Back to Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin by University of California, Santa Cruz

In this course, Peter Kenez, Professor Emeritus at UC Santa Cruz, explains the events of modern Russian history and introduces its most significant actors—from Vladimir Lenin to Vladimir Putin....

JM

Aug 29, 2019

My first ever online course, and what a great start. The Professor leading it was very good at explaining the fasicating and recent history of Russia with a personal touch. 5/5

AG

Mar 26, 2018

Great class and the professor did an excellent job relaying the information. Honestly, I wish it was a little longer and a little more in depth. Definitely, learned a lot.

51 - 75 of 80 Reviews for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

By Elena

Jun 13, 2019

I'm native Russian and obviously I studied russian history at school and had a short course at the university. This course gave me a deep understanding of the reasons, the connections and the order of historical events, which I couldn't get anywhere else before. This is my first week, but I can't stop watching it and I already got to Week 3.

By Keith D

Jun 15, 2019

This course fully met my expectations and I learned a ton from the class. I feel like I have a more informed viewpoint of Russian history, and why Russians may see world events through a different lens.

By Clifton L

Jun 20, 2019

Great Course

By Norbert C

Jul 08, 2019

Great short course on Russian history--a sweeping overview.

By CHRISTINE M

May 27, 2019

Thank you for this course. Very great.

By Svetlana B

Jul 22, 2019

Professor Kenez, has such a noble way of speaking, that it is a true pleasure to listen to him. He gives an extremely well structured and a very clear account of the life in Russia, a grand and complicated country, in its most significant eras. Million thanks to Prof. Kenez for his outstanding job. Низкий поклон.

By Leo P

Aug 13, 2019

I came across this course as a second thought. I don't know anything about Russian History aside from the very basics and what one can catch from watching the news. However, to listen to Peter Kenez speak is a blessing. He is informative without being pedantic and does something that is often taken for granted, he passes on his passion for the subject to the students. I am now incredibly interested in Russian history, even as far as implementing it into my work. Thank you Coursera!

By Арестов Н И

Oct 18, 2019

It is very helpful!

By bonnie

Nov 20, 2019

Having just come away from Russia, I couldn't but take this course. It has in no way disappointed me.. In fact it has upheld a certain mystique and majesty that I've always visualised Russian history as having.

Thank you so much! I shall re visit the course over and over again till I maintain a100% Score!

By Чащин Д В

Nov 11, 2019

Interesting course, I'll like to continue this with more details

By Derek Z

Jul 14, 2018

I really appreciated Prof. Kenez's knowledge and passion of the topics covered, as well as he style of communication. Great for an introductory course, for someone with no previous knowledge on Russian history. I would recommend taking this course, very interesting. However, a 3 week course may not be long enough to cover 100 years of Russian history. I found the quizzes to be extremely easy (the quiz questions are pretty much all previously asked during the lectures), and the transcripts of the lesson are way off.

By Stella M

Dec 23, 2017

A great introduction to Russian history.

By Anastasia X

Mar 12, 2018

Very informative by an extremely knowledgeable professor. Sometimes it was a little difficult to follow him, probably because of his accent.

By Drue C

Dec 05, 2017

Very interesting information, unfortunately had to drop it while attempting to balance high school material. The professor had some instances where it was extremely difficult to understand him, and the transcript at times was incomprehensible (which, I assume, is a result of poor transcription). 100% would complete this course if I had the time to.

By Joy S

Jan 01, 2018

As an American, I learned that there has been misunderstanding about the Russians in my country. They have a different way of thinking than we do and some of the things they said have been misconstrued. They have had difficult times and are not the monsters we have been taught they were.

By Steve

Jun 12, 2018

Exellent course, maybe a bit too short for the subject. I liked the professor who spoke to the camera without notes. Maybe a bit more use of contemporary film would have bought course to life (photos were used)

By Cheneil A

May 03, 2018

The subject matter was interesting, and I found the teacher nice to listen to.

By Vicky

Dec 31, 2017

Amazing course! Really interesting and very good presented by the Professor. Thank you for uploading! I would definitely recommend it.

By Philip R

Jun 18, 2018

The volume was a little low unless I used my headphones, which doesn't happen elsewhere? Great content.

By Willem v G

May 05, 2018

Thank you very much Professor Peter Kenez for the instructive and interesting course which I have almost finished only the essay and reviewing peers are remaining. I wish I had been taught the history of Russia up till the time of me going to primary school when I was young.

Indeed, the Russian people have suffered a lot and it is no wonder that they see Putin as their rescuer, whether he really is there rescuer will be shown in the future. I am not very optimistic.

On the other hand, the communist system which created shortages asked for corruption and I think that not one Russian has not misused the system in the past, it has become part of life. That a few people, the oligarchs exploited the new situation is in no way defendable but was the outcome of a rotten system.

What I missed in the course is any talk about the Vory, the Russian mafia which was there even in Stalin’s period and which is at the moment in command in Russia according to the book” The Vory” from Mark Galeotti. Especially in the lesson “Shock therapy” I think the Vory should have been mentioned because of the crimes they committed during that time.

By Vicenţiu H V

May 24, 2018

An interesting course, despite the fact that it is almost impossible to talk about Russian contemporary history in a 3-weeks course.

By Ronald H

Apr 06, 2018

Very informative. Gave me a different insight into Russian thought especially in current administration of Putin. It seems that the Russians have been more afraid o the USA than the USA has been of them.

Units one and three are too long. Unit one should be divided into three units. Unit three should be divided into two units.