Back to Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin by University of California, Santa Cruz

In this course, Peter Kenez, Professor Emeritus at UC Santa Cruz, explains the events of modern Russian history and introduces its most significant actors—from Vladimir Lenin to Vladimir Putin....

JM

Aug 29, 2019

My first ever online course, and what a great start. The Professor leading it was very good at explaining the fasicating and recent history of Russia with a personal touch. 5/5

AG

Mar 26, 2018

Great class and the professor did an excellent job relaying the information. Honestly, I wish it was a little longer and a little more in depth. Definitely, learned a lot.

26 - 50 of 82 Reviews for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

By Tony M

Feb 22, 2019

Excellent teacher and course!

By Danny T

Feb 23, 2018

Great course. Well Done!

By Tetiana D

Nov 20, 2017

up to the last lecture it was more or less ok. But the last lecture is outrageous. Almost all of its statements took directly from russian propaganda. If i were more paranoid I would think that it is paid by russia propaganda, but maybe professor watched to much russia today channel. I don't recommend to take this course it, especially last part. It is misleading and full of inaccuracy with facts. If you want more detailed analysis see my post in discussion forum week3

By Annie M

Apr 12, 2019

The professor may well know his subject but he cannot lecture. His speech is so slow and the sentences complex, therefore making it difficult to follow. I'll just read the text I bought. Coursera, you failed again.

By Karen S

Jun 19, 2018

This course is excellent. It took a video or two for me to get used to seeing the professor talk to the camera, but once I got used to that, I really began to enjoy Dr. Kenez's style. He managed to cover a lot of history while still giving enough details to help student understand why events occurred as they did. Also, I like the fact that he told you when he offered an opinion. More than once, he said, "In my opinion" or "I believe" rather than presenting his opinion as a fact. If he had another course, I would take it because he did such a great job. I don't need the certificate but have decided to pay for this course as I think it's only fair to pay for such a valuable product. Thank you, Dr. Kenez.

By pierre v

Feb 11, 2018

What a gem of a course! I loved everything about it. When I was a boy in the 1970s, my interest in history was kick started by an ITV series called 'The World at War', with Laurence Olivier as the narrator. It was fascinating to me. The thrill of listening to this series of lectures, reconnected me with the excitement and sense of wonder which I experienced back then. Peter Kenez has so much knowledge on this subject, and his presentation and treatment of the information was fascinating. I gained so much insight into the history of Russia and the events which shaped modern day Russia. Thank you for enriching my life and allowing me to see the world in new ways.

By Maksim H

Dec 20, 2017

I cannot recommend this course more than giving it five stars. Actually a one-star review have sparked my interest to go through the history of my motherland from the perspective of the foreign professor. Reviewer claimed that professor is biased towards Putin and watches Russia Today all the time. It cannot be further from the truth! After listening week three I am convinced that this "reviewer" is actually a Kremlin-paid-troll whose only aim to discredit this material.

The story is filled with empathy to russian people and I am genuinely grateful to professor Kenez for sharing these lectures and his efforts to shed light on troubled russian history.

By Leo P

Aug 13, 2019

I came across this course as a second thought. I don't know anything about Russian History aside from the very basics and what one can catch from watching the news. However, to listen to Peter Kenez speak is a blessing. He is informative without being pedantic and does something that is often taken for granted, he passes on his passion for the subject to the students. I am now incredibly interested in Russian history, even as far as implementing it into my work. Thank you Coursera!

By alejandro

Nov 25, 2017

Great lectures with outstanding photo-illustrations. I highly recommend this course because it is delivered without bias, as it is all too easy to view events from your own cultural perspective.

This is the first time the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact was placed in context of the Allies "tacit approval" of the Nazi invasion of Czechoslovakia and the Nazi assistance to Franco's destruction of Republic Spain.

By Howard G M

Mar 14, 2018

Well done. I will be taking a Russian History at Emory this Spring and this course: Russian History: from Lenin to Putin will have prepared me well. For me, taking this course was a bit of a rush since I do not need a certificate and had to reschedule it in order to complete it. That is the only thing I do not care for at Coursera; I am not allowed

By Elena

Jun 13, 2019

I'm native Russian and obviously I studied russian history at school and had a short course at the university. This course gave me a deep understanding of the reasons, the connections and the order of historical events, which I couldn't get anywhere else before. This is my first week, but I can't stop watching it and I already got to Week 3.

By Svetlana B

Jul 22, 2019

Professor Kenez, has such a noble way of speaking, that it is a true pleasure to listen to him. He gives an extremely well structured and a very clear account of the life in Russia, a grand and complicated country, in its most significant eras. Million thanks to Prof. Kenez for his outstanding job. Низкий поклон.

By Robert K

Apr 27, 2018

Major featers: exellent narration, informative and perceptive, unbiased and thought-provoking.

I liked the structure and the way the topics were identified and discussed. My knowledge of Russian history greatly expanded and I learned interesting ways of approaching and explaining historical events.

Thank you.

By bonnie

Nov 20, 2019

Having just come away from Russia, I couldn't but take this course. It has in no way disappointed me.. In fact it has upheld a certain mystique and majesty that I've always visualised Russian history as having.

Thank you so much! I shall re visit the course over and over again till I maintain a100% Score!

By Gabriel H B

Nov 28, 2017

Pretty good for a short Coursera course, though it's much easier to follow if the subject matter is already familiar to you. To get the most out of it I recommend reading a short book about the history of Russia in advance, such as "Russian History: A Very Short Introduction" by Geoffrey Hosking.

By Kejie Y

Jan 17, 2020

A fascinating course on a fascinating topic. Prof. Peter Kenez's teaching style is intriguing - he gives a well-paced lecture and highly meticulous account of the various topics throughout modern and contemporary Russia. I love listening to the lectures and have a "heady" feeling learning.

By Beatriz m D

May 30, 2018

Ha sido una experiencia maravillosa,le doy las gracias al profesor Kenez por acercarnos un poco más a un país tan bello y a la vez tan hermético como es Rusia.

No hago el ensayo al no optar al certificado.Gracias profesor,saludos,Bea.

By Keith D

Jun 15, 2019

This course fully met my expectations and I learned a ton from the class. I feel like I have a more informed viewpoint of Russian history, and why Russians may see world events through a different lens.

By Daniel D

Apr 11, 2018

Está increíble. Gran profesor, gran clase. Thank you very much for this.

By Чащин Д В

Nov 11, 2019

Interesting course, I'll like to continue this with more details

By Norbert C

Jul 08, 2019

Great short course on Russian history--a sweeping overview.

By Adriana A

Mar 19, 2018

Great course! It really helps to understand Russia history

By Shaleen P

Jun 14, 2018

Very clear and in-depth discussion of events.

By Anubhav R

Jun 02, 2018

Really nice, accurate and informative course.

By Yuliya U

Feb 09, 2018

Thanks to Dr. Kenez! Very interesting course!