Back to Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin by University of California, Santa Cruz

In this course, Peter Kenez, Professor Emeritus at UC Santa Cruz, explains the events of modern Russian history and introduces its most significant actors—from Vladimir Lenin to Vladimir Putin....

RS

Sep 15, 2020

I found that course had a central theme, the incompatibility of the Communist structures with an increase in the standard of living, that was well documented from the time of Lenin to that of Putin.

MM

Apr 14, 2020

I recommend anyone interested in this period of Russian history to take the course. Professor Kenez is an authority on the period and delivers an excellent overview of the time.

1 - 25 of 169 Reviews for Russian History: from Lenin to Putin

By Alexander P G

Mar 26, 2018

Great class and the professor did an excellent job relaying the information. Honestly, I wish it was a little longer and a little more in depth. Definitely, learned a lot.

By Jesper O A

Dec 17, 2017

Mr Kenez is making a remarkable presentation of Russian history. Very structured and balanced. Impressive knowledge. Thanks for a very interesting course.

By Karen S

Jun 19, 2018

This course is excellent. It took a video or two for me to get used to seeing the professor talk to the camera, but once I got used to that, I really began to enjoy Dr. Kenez's style. He managed to cover a lot of history while still giving enough details to help student understand why events occurred as they did. Also, I like the fact that he told you when he offered an opinion. More than once, he said, "In my opinion" or "I believe" rather than presenting his opinion as a fact. If he had another course, I would take it because he did such a great job. I don't need the certificate but have decided to pay for this course as I think it's only fair to pay for such a valuable product. Thank you, Dr. Kenez.

By Joel M

Aug 29, 2019

My first ever online course, and what a great start. The Professor leading it was very good at explaining the fasicating and recent history of Russia with a personal touch. 5/5

By Jeff B

Feb 05, 2019

Terrific class. Vastly knowledgeable and charming professor. Hours of interesting lectures that are both cogent and entertaining. Dr. Kenezs' insites are valuable and relevant and a product of his obvious mastery of the subject.

A small disappointment of mine was that there wasn't any supplimenntary reading required or suggested. I only wish that there were links to optional relevent reading for each module. But this is a minor point for overachievers like myself. The lectures provide enough material to get a good handle on the subject and Trranscript s are also available for rereading.

Thanks for a great class!

By Peter B

Dec 12, 2018

This course gives a great overview of Russian history: It explains why Russian / Soviet leaders did what they did, but it describes the "immense" suffering of ordinary citizens in the 20th century, too. Thank you, Peter Kenez!

By Gerald H

Jan 23, 2019

I learned an entirely different impression of Russian history and gained more understanding of the people, I felt the instructor presented the history as a story with great background and experience, A wonderful course.

By Suzanne C

Dec 04, 2017

I very much enjoyed this course and hope that Professor Kenez is working on another course covering the period from 1940 to the present. I think that it very important that we understand Russia, especially now.

By Sara B

Sep 16, 2018

This was a great course i really enjoyed the lectures i would forget i was stuck at home and felt as if i was back in a lecture hall! Would recommend to anyone to take!

By sanjay R

Mar 06, 2019

This is a very balanced and in depth journey about Russia by the leading scholar. Every episode was a such a treat. Highly grateful and Salute !

By Alena R

Nov 01, 2018

Thank you for the course! As a russian I had a great opportunity to look at the history of my country form another point of view. Brilliant!

By Stephen T

Dec 22, 2017

A very interesting and well-presented course which dovetails nicely with Stalin and Stalinism. It is simply designed and easy to follow.

By Anna K

Jul 09, 2018

Beautiful course!! I am originally from Russia. The professor knows the material and he is very passionate about

By Limell L

Mar 20, 2019

Thank you professor Kenez for this excellent course! I enjoyed it immensely and learned a great deal.

By JOHN Q

Oct 22, 2017

Nice review of Russian History over the past century. I really enjoyed the course. Thanks so much!

By Chris

Feb 04, 2020

The topic was very interesting, and I was very fond of Professor Kenez and his presentation style.

By Olga S

Mar 09, 2019

Thank you, professor, for your deep understanding of Russian history and Russian soul.

By Armando B M

Jan 29, 2019

Great course!!!! Thank you very much prof. Peter kenez. I've learned a lot!!!!!!

By Daniel D

Apr 11, 2018

Está increíble. Gran profesor, gran clase. Thank you very much for this.

By Ricardo M A

Apr 07, 2019

I had the feeling of great impartiality in this course.

By Elisandra S

May 31, 2018

Wonderful course. Very well structured and dynamic!

By Shaleen P

Jun 14, 2018

Very clear and in-depth discussion of events.

By Yasiru R

Aug 15, 2018

Good course to learn the Russian History. <3

By Tony M

Feb 22, 2019

Excellent teacher and course!

By Danny T