Back to The Science of the Solar System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of the Solar System by Caltech

Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding....

GN

Nov 29, 2017

Challenging. Amazing. Mind-Blowing.\n\nSpace enthusiasts should totally do this course. And yeah, did I say that Mike Brown is the coolest teacher ever. Never a dull moment in the lectures. :)

PK

May 25, 2019

The lectures are engaging and replete with thought provoking material. Professor Brown's in depth knowledge of the field and his passion for planetary science aroused an everlasting curiosity.

1 - 25 of 107 Reviews for The Science of the Solar System

By Gwenolé B

Jan 19, 2018

Awesome course. Quite challenging for someone with no (formal) science background, but fascinating and well worth it!

By Mateo M M

Jun 10, 2019

It's a very good course, Professor Mike is excellent and solved many doubts but the most important thing is that I believe many more in my head, a very good course.

By Paras K

May 25, 2019

By Maria A C T

Apr 23, 2019

Muy didáctico. Bien diseñado. Los instructores hacen muy interesante y agradable el aprendizaje. Es un curso completo del que se puede aprender ademas del contenido en sí, cómo preparar un buen curso.

Felicitaciones por la excelente calidad

By Syed M A

Apr 12, 2019

Best teacher and wish every earth science students to learn from him. Thanks

By Diego F

Mar 04, 2019

Great course, it has a huge content about our solar system, starting with a lot of discussion about mars/water. It is hard because the nature of the topics, but Mike Brown explains really well the content.

By Jakob G

Mar 02, 2019

The best course I've ever taken, and the course I've needed since I was a teenager.

Mike Brown is not reading from his script, even if he has one. He's showing, drawing, writing and explaining in a way that totally removes the otherwise numb feeling of one-way communication of an illustrated audio text that so many other online courses suffer from.

I need more of this, when is the sequel released?!?

By Hellas F

Feb 28, 2019

the best course ever. It's the only one that i have rated with 5 stars. Really amazing

By Anthony Y

Feb 16, 2019

It was really a privilege to be taught by a world renowned expert in his field. Professor Brown teaches clearly and with enthusiasm. I would love to be one of his grad students! Everyone should take this course. It’s amazing the work his team does and what they are discovery about the universe.

Thank you, Dr Brown!

By

Dec 10, 2018

This class was awesome! It was simple enough for someone from a non-astronomy background to understand, but in-depth enough to still be incredibly thought provoking and interesting. Professor Brown covered a ton of information on many of the areas I had questions about and even some I didn't know I had questions about! I definitely recommend this class to anyone who is curious about space and what we know about whats out there.

By Gihan I

Nov 10, 2018

I find this course presented quite exciting with Prof Brown; but at times the mathematical calculations leave me far behind.

The fact that this course is a preliminary for graduates to Caltech is the reason for this.

By Victor R G

Sep 21, 2018

I have taken and taught many online courses using various platforms. This is by far the best courses I have taken. It is well organized and the content cover is beyond my expectations. Excellent course!

By John R

Sep 14, 2018

Excellent course and instruction. I would highly recommend this challenging course to anyone wanting a solid science update on our solar system.

By

Sep 10, 2018

Fantastic course from start to finish. Very insightful, engaging and thorough. The material was excellent and of the right level of difficulty. Would highly recommend.

By Juan M

Sep 09, 2018

Awesome course! A lot of information, I have been taught Master courses which teach you much less than this one. There are a few cons though. No Mercury, nor Venus units (they are barely mentioned through the entire course). And it would be nice to have access to the oficial notes, if there are, so we can take a look before watching the lectures ( I understand that this could be too much for an online course).

By arlex b

Aug 24, 2018

por favor traducir al español !!

By Alex R

Aug 23, 2018

Excellent course. Very interesting and motivating.

By Shimon S

Aug 01, 2018

This is by far, the best course I've ever taken! Space is the future! If you have an interest in space or know someone that does....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking this course. After you've successfully completed this course....you'll feel greatly rewarded!!!

By Kirk B

Jul 06, 2018

Almost wish I could forget everything I just learned so I could take it again. Fantastic course.

By YiFan ( Z

Jul 06, 2018

Absolutely fantastic; stunned at the detail and complexity in which the material is covered with. The Instructor is very engaging and he has a genuine passion for this topic. The material is challenging but manageable. Definitely will recommend.

By Alexandra R

Jun 17, 2018

Great course, nicely taught and regularly updated. It taught me a lot.

By DAMASO V U

Jun 14, 2018

Considero que el curso es muy bueno a la vez que muy interesante, pero al no poseer suficientes conocimientos de ingles, tambien he detectado que el sonido era deficiente en muchos casos, por ello he tenido muchas dificultades para poder llegar hasta el final, por lo que no entiendo que una Universidad de tanto prestigio como Caltech, y en California no tenga a nadie que pueda hacer transcripciones adecuadamente los textos hablados por el Profesor Brown, por ello mi calificación no ha sido la que me hubiera gustado aplicar, ya que cuando se ofrece un curso de estas caracteristicas debe estar habierto al Mundo Entero y el mundo habla tambien otros idiomas,

By Javier R

Jun 11, 2018

Outstanding! Great course and excellent professor

By kevin k

Jun 04, 2018

I am overwhelmed. This was an excellent course and Dr. Brown was one of the best knowledgable scientists and lecturers I have ever seen. It's been more than a few decades since I was last in a University classroom (Canada) and I found that this coursera format makes a great balance of online learning, and testing for knowledge acquired. Back to the content, sure there are some issues... numerous typos in transcripts, quiz material, bad audio in many spots, but when it worked 90%+ of the time it was exhilarating! Busy for the summer but come the fall (northern hemisphere) I will look for other courses by him.

By Richard E

Jun 01, 2018

This was definitely an excellent course, presenting interleaved layman and technical perspectives of our solar system. Not quite 5 stars but certainly better than 4 stars. Some issues: (1) Missing lecture transcripts. (2) The transcripts frequently need manual clean-up. (3) The case made for why Pluto is not a planet needs the addition of a more rigorous discussion of what should the definition of a planet be. I'd love to see a debate between Dr. Brown and Dr. Alan Stern!