Back to The Science of the Solar System

The Science of the Solar System, Caltech

About this Course

Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding....

By GN

Nov 29, 2017

Challenging. Amazing. Mind-Blowing.\n\nSpace enthusiasts should totally do this course. And yeah, did I say that Mike Brown is the coolest teacher ever. Never a dull moment in the lectures. :)

By JA

Dec 07, 2017

Excellent Course! Very informative and gives a brief overview of the history of the Solar System and some of the questions driving new and current missions. Thank you.

99 Reviews

By

Dec 10, 2018

This class was awesome! It was simple enough for someone from a non-astronomy background to understand, but in-depth enough to still be incredibly thought provoking and interesting. Professor Brown covered a ton of information on many of the areas I had questions about and even some I didn't know I had questions about! I definitely recommend this class to anyone who is curious about space and what we know about whats out there.

By Gihan Ilangakoon

Nov 10, 2018

I find this course presented quite exciting with Prof Brown; but at times the mathematical calculations leave me far behind.

The fact that this course is a preliminary for graduates to Caltech is the reason for this.

By Victor R. Gomez

Sep 21, 2018

I have taken and taught many online courses using various platforms. This is by far the best courses I have taken. It is well organized and the content cover is beyond my expectations. Excellent course!

By John Radic

Sep 14, 2018

Excellent course and instruction. I would highly recommend this challenging course to anyone wanting a solid science update on our solar system.

By

Sep 10, 2018

Fantastic course from start to finish. Very insightful, engaging and thorough. The material was excellent and of the right level of difficulty. Would highly recommend.

By Juan Manuel

Sep 09, 2018

Awesome course! A lot of information, I have been taught Master courses which teach you much less than this one. There are a few cons though. No Mercury, nor Venus units (they are barely mentioned through the entire course). And it would be nice to have access to the oficial notes, if there are, so we can take a look before watching the lectures ( I understand that this could be too much for an online course).

By arlex benitez

Aug 24, 2018

por favor traducir al español !!

By Alex Ruelas

Aug 23, 2018

Excellent course. Very interesting and motivating.

By Shimon Starfury

Aug 01, 2018

This is by far, the best course I've ever taken! Space is the future! If you have an interest in space or know someone that does....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking this course. After you've successfully completed this course....you'll feel greatly rewarded!!!

By Kirk Boodry

Jul 06, 2018

Almost wish I could forget everything I just learned so I could take it again. Fantastic course.