Back to The Science of the Solar System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of the Solar System by Caltech

Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding....

CE
Mar 3, 2020

Learning facilitated by good lecturing, well prepared lectures and excellent quizzes.\n\nLecturer Mike Brown, enthusiastic about his subject, generous in sharing his knowledge, humorous, and honest.

GN
Nov 28, 2017

Challenging. Amazing. Mind-Blowing.\n\nSpace enthusiasts should totally do this course. And yeah, did I say that Mike Brown is the coolest teacher ever. Never a dull moment in the lectures. :)

76 - 100 of 197 Reviews for The Science of the Solar System

By Xiaoxuan W

Aug 10, 2020

Excellent course. Challenging but rewarding. The quizzes are well-designed and helpful. Totally recommend it to everyone interested in serious astronomy other than fun facts.

By Alfio C

Nov 25, 2020

Questo corso mi ha incrementato tanto le mie capacità, il prof spiega le lezioni in un modo a parer mio chiarissimo e senza mai far annoiare, i miei più grandi complimenti.

By Jared A

Dec 7, 2017

Excellent Course! Very informative and gives a brief overview of the history of the Solar System and some of the questions driving new and current missions. Thank you.

By Lori A D

Aug 26, 2020

I knew nothing about the solar system, but learned more than I will ever forget. Thank you.

Excellent course. Love Mike as a teacher. So informative and brilliant!

By Mateo M M

Jun 9, 2019

It's a very good course, Professor Mike is excellent and solved many doubts but the most important thing is that I believe many more in my head, a very good course.

By Jeroen G

Oct 7, 2020

This one is one of the best courses I've done on Coursera. If you want to know about the current state of the science of the solar system, this is where to start.

By Professor R M

May 3, 2020

Ótimo curso, tive a oportunidade de ouvir aulas de um célebre cientista que conhece muito da sua área, com informações extremamente atuais. Extremamente válido!

By Arilin S H P

Nov 19, 2019

I completely loved this course, it’s beautifully explained and sometimes even funny.

It is nice to have the chance of learning from people who really knows.

By Prompiriya P

Jul 2, 2020

Very difficult, insightful, challenging and interesting course! Worth all the time spent, gain a lot of new knowledge. Thanks professor for this course.

By Emilio J P

A worthy course for knowing the Solar system, of easy understanding, which make me think about the bright design it has. No better way.

Thanks, profesor.

By Ita R

May 11, 2016

Wonderful course, fascinating, keeps me from dying of boredom in my day job. I'm already wondering how I'll cope when the lectures finish in two weeks.

By Preben K K

Feb 16, 2020

Excellent course with a great lecturer and guest lecturers. Interesting stuff about our solar system and the ways we explore it. Highly recommended!

By Gavin K

Jan 1, 2020

Amazing course! Much, much better than the other Caltech astronomy course, and right up there with the fantastic ANU Astrophysics courses on edX.

By John R

Sep 14, 2018

Excellent course and instruction. I would highly recommend this challenging course to anyone wanting a solid science update on our solar system.

By Aditi C

Jan 27, 2020

Excellently taught. I was able to understand almost everything despite only being 14 and not knowing most of the physics involved beforehand.

By Dave M

Jun 27, 2016

Loved every minute of it, could not do some of the maths, that otherwise very informative.

Like Mike Brown's technique… Enjoy the humour!

By Rich K

Oct 15, 2016

Absolutely fantastic course. It's both broad and rigorous and uses the appropriate math and chemistry to show how we know what we know.

By Shivam S

Aug 31, 2017

Professor Mike Brown is awesome. He does not let any student distract. He has a unique teaching charm for which I appreciate him a lot.

By Srijan A

Feb 22, 2017

This is an amazing course.Thank you Dr Brown for allowing me to pursue this course from the comforts of my home.And thank you coursera.

By Sean W

Aug 1, 2020

Very interesting and well taught. Not too complicated while still not being too general. Some things seem outdated though.

By PIYAKAN S

Jul 14, 2020

Thank you, Prof. Mike Brown & Team for this Course, It's look like this course make us to explore in the solar system. :)

By Mohammed s

Jun 4, 2020

Big thanks for Caltech and Staff, specially to Mr Mike Brown for making me literate in Astronomy.

Best wishes to you all.

By Marco Z

Jan 25, 2021

Amazing course! I found the art of teaching of Prof. Mike Brown absolut fantastic! one of the best courses on coursera!

By Petrik d H

Oct 9, 2016

The course taught me a lot, and was perfectly balanced between being informative and technical. Highly recommended.