Back to The Science of the Solar System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of the Solar System by Caltech

Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding....

CE

Mar 04, 2020

Learning facilitated by good lecturing, well prepared lectures and excellent quizzes.\n\nLecturer Mike Brown, enthusiastic about his subject, generous in sharing his knowledge, humorous, and honest.

GN

Nov 29, 2017

Challenging. Amazing. Mind-Blowing.\n\nSpace enthusiasts should totally do this course. And yeah, did I say that Mike Brown is the coolest teacher ever. Never a dull moment in the lectures. :)

76 - 100 of 179 Reviews for The Science of the Solar System

By Prompiriya P

Jul 02, 2020

Very difficult, insightful, challenging and interesting course! Worth all the time spent, gain a lot of new knowledge. Thanks professor for this course.

By Emilio J P

A worthy course for knowing the Solar system, of easy understanding, which make me think about the bright design it has. No better way.

Thanks, profesor.

By Ita R

May 11, 2016

Wonderful course, fascinating, keeps me from dying of boredom in my day job. I'm already wondering how I'll cope when the lectures finish in two weeks.

By Preben K K

Feb 16, 2020

Excellent course with a great lecturer and guest lecturers. Interesting stuff about our solar system and the ways we explore it. Highly recommended!

By Gavin K

Jan 01, 2020

Amazing course! Much, much better than the other Caltech astronomy course, and right up there with the fantastic ANU Astrophysics courses on edX.

By John R

Sep 14, 2018

Excellent course and instruction. I would highly recommend this challenging course to anyone wanting a solid science update on our solar system.

By Aditi C

Jan 27, 2020

Excellently taught. I was able to understand almost everything despite only being 14 and not knowing most of the physics involved beforehand.

By Dave M

Jun 27, 2016

Loved every minute of it, could not do some of the maths, that otherwise very informative.

Like Mike Brown's technique… Enjoy the humour!

By Rich K

Oct 15, 2016

Absolutely fantastic course. It's both broad and rigorous and uses the appropriate math and chemistry to show how we know what we know.

By Shivam S

Aug 31, 2017

Professor Mike Brown is awesome. He does not let any student distract. He has a unique teaching charm for which I appreciate him a lot.

By Srijan A

Feb 23, 2017

This is an amazing course.Thank you Dr Brown for allowing me to pursue this course from the comforts of my home.And thank you coursera.

By Sean W

Aug 01, 2020

Very interesting and well taught. Not too complicated while still not being too general. Some things seem outdated though.

By PIYAKAN S

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you, Prof. Mike Brown & Team for this Course, It's look like this course make us to explore in the solar system. :)

By Mohammed s

Jun 04, 2020

Big thanks for Caltech and Staff, specially to Mr Mike Brown for making me literate in Astronomy.

Best wishes to you all.

By Petrik d H

Oct 09, 2016

The course taught me a lot, and was perfectly balanced between being informative and technical. Highly recommended.

By Naomi M

May 19, 2016

Way over my head but has definitely given me a reason to pursue learning more about physics and the solar system.

By Yudi Y S

Apr 11, 2020

I love this course. Everything is very detailed but it's very hard to understand. But still manage to finish it!

By Catalina

Excellent course, it was challenging for me due to the contents and the level; but I enjoyed a lot. Thank you

By José D C F

Sep 10, 2020

IT WAS AMAZING, THE AMOUNT OF THINGS I LEARNT WOW I AM SHOOK AT THE QUALITY OF THIS COURSE. 10/10 RECOMMEND

By David J P O

Aug 17, 2020

This course is beyond my level, but I really appreciate the hard work they have done in putting this course

By Florent B

Mar 08, 2020

Tons of interesting unknown facts about the planetary science, with a very pedagogic and fun presentation!

By Isabel G

May 17, 2016

This course is amazing! Professor Mike Brown is great at what he does, and everything is well explained.

By Marcos S G

Apr 13, 2016

Fantastic teacher, amazingly well-prepared contents. It's incredible that they are doing this for free.

By Damien S

Jun 20, 2017

Mike Brown is an excellent and funny lecturer, and I learned something interesting from every lecture.

By Jackie K

Oct 14, 2019

Interesting enough that you'll forgo whatever you're watching on Netflix and finish in about 2 weeks.