Back to The Science of the Solar System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of the Solar System by Caltech

Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding....

PK

May 25, 2019

The lectures are engaging and replete with thought provoking material. Professor Brown's in depth knowledge of the field and his passion for planetary science aroused an everlasting curiosity.

GN

Nov 29, 2017

Challenging. Amazing. Mind-Blowing.\n\nSpace enthusiasts should totally do this course. And yeah, did I say that Mike Brown is the coolest teacher ever. Never a dull moment in the lectures. :)

1 - 25 of 109 Reviews for The Science of the Solar System

By Gwenolé B

Jan 19, 2018

Awesome course. Quite challenging for someone with no (formal) science background, but fascinating and well worth it!

By Anthony Y

Feb 16, 2019

It was really a privilege to be taught by a world renowned expert in his field. Professor Brown teaches clearly and with enthusiasm. I would love to be one of his grad students! Everyone should take this course. It’s amazing the work his team does and what they are discovery about the universe.

Thank you, Dr Brown!

By Hellas F

Feb 28, 2019

the best course ever. It's the only one that i have rated with 5 stars. Really amazing

By Jakob G

Mar 02, 2019

The best course I've ever taken, and the course I've needed since I was a teenager.

Mike Brown is not reading from his script, even if he has one. He's showing, drawing, writing and explaining in a way that totally removes the otherwise numb feeling of one-way communication of an illustrated audio text that so many other online courses suffer from.

I need more of this, when is the sequel released?!?

By Diego F

Mar 04, 2019

Great course, it has a huge content about our solar system, starting with a lot of discussion about mars/water. It is hard because the nature of the topics, but Mike Brown explains really well the content.

By Shimon S

Aug 01, 2018

This is by far, the best course I've ever taken! Space is the future! If you have an interest in space or know someone that does....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking this course. After you've successfully completed this course....you'll feel greatly rewarded!!!

By Alex R

Aug 23, 2018

Excellent course. Very interesting and motivating.

By arlex b

Aug 24, 2018

por favor traducir al español !!

By John R

Sep 14, 2018

Excellent course and instruction. I would highly recommend this challenging course to anyone wanting a solid science update on our solar system.

By Victor R G

Sep 21, 2018

I have taken and taught many online courses using various platforms. This is by far the best courses I have taken. It is well organized and the content cover is beyond my expectations. Excellent course!

By Terry L L

Jul 18, 2017

I am a social scientist and this course filled a very large void in my knowledge. While data for social scientists are gathered in the here-and-now with subjects being only a few feet away, I have learned to respect how astromers must gatherdata points that are millions of years old AND millions of miles away. Good luck, Professor Brown, with your work on Lucy!

By Sergio G C

May 04, 2018

Awesome and challenging

By Marcos S G

Apr 13, 2016

Fantastic teacher, amazingly well-prepared contents. It's incredible that they are doing this for free.

By Andrew W J

Jun 13, 2017

And excellent, deep yet accessible introduction into what we know about the solar system, the science behind our knowledge, and the big questions under investigation.

By Shivam S

Aug 31, 2017

Professor Mike Brown is awesome. He does not let any student distract. He has a unique teaching charm for which I appreciate him a lot.

By Kirk B

Jul 06, 2018

Almost wish I could forget everything I just learned so I could take it again. Fantastic course.

By Eskil S

Mar 09, 2018

Great course and superb teaching!

By Dave M

Jun 27, 2016

Loved every minute of it, could not do some of the maths, that otherwise very informative.

Like Mike Brown's technique… Enjoy the humour!

By miguel a g a

Aug 16, 2017

I great great course, full of new data and theories. Thabks the team for their thorough work.

By John S

Sep 08, 2017

Best course so far!

By Brian P

Jun 02, 2017

Excellent overview of the current state of solar system exploration. The lectures were amazingly entertaining, even if the quiz questions were typically convoluted and designed for confusion. By sheer repetition, repeating the quizzes until all the answers are correct, the information is hammered home. The most interesting part of the course for me was the planetary science, the astrobiology coverage at the end was, of necessity, much less rigorous. Discussion of recent spacecraft exploration missions is good but it's hard to keep a topic like this up to date when the lectures are meant to be reused for multiple sessions of the course. Wanted to dislike the instructor because of his arrogance in the Pluto affair, even if I can't argue with the substance of it, but just couldn't because even though he is arrogant, he knows his stuff, is obviously good at what he does, and more importantly he communicates his knowledge really, really well.

By Naomi M

May 19, 2016

Way over my head but has definitely given me a reason to pursue learning more about physics and the solar system.

By Lilly H

Mar 30, 2017

My favorite Coursera class!