Back to Statistical Mechanics: Algorithms and Computations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Statistical Mechanics: Algorithms and Computations by École normale supérieure

In this course you will learn a whole lot of modern physics (classical and quantum) from basic computer programs that you will download, generalize, or write from scratch, discuss, and then hand in. Join in if you are curious (but not necessarily knowledgeable) about algorithms, and about the deep insights into science that you can obtain by the algorithmic approach....

KL

Sep 23, 2017

Excellent and enthusiastic lectures and tutorials covering a number of topics. Much of the learning took place in the assignments where the concepts were applied and various points were illustrated.

YR

Mar 18, 2017

I really like this course also I am only confused by my knowledge in computing because this course is very high rated in sense of detailed explanation and easy to follow through difficult themes.

1 - 25 of 62 Reviews for Statistical Mechanics: Algorithms and Computations

By Kunal L

Sep 23, 2017

By jadoul m

Nov 02, 2018

One of the three best MOOCs I have seen.

By Yessimzhan R

Mar 18, 2017

By Nazarov A P

Apr 12, 2017

Prepare yourself for the fact that if you want to really understand all the programs and theory in this course you will need at at least 8 hours per week. But if you cope with all the problems you will get not bad skills in python programming and overall statistical mechanics understanding.

By Robert F

May 27, 2016

Material is very interesting and the courser work provides great opportunities to try out and build different statistical algorithms. You don't need a background in physics but I think it would help to fully grasp the materials.

By Ahmad M

Jan 31, 2019

i love this course, but most codes were not properly explained and rather difficult to tweak.

By Marcus S

Mar 27, 2017

Nice but demanding course. No course certficate is available after passing the course...

By Kwan-Yuet H

Aug 23, 2018

Highly recommended. Old subjects with new technology!

By Wan-Yi W

Aug 25, 2018

Very helpful to me.

By Le Q L

Aug 29, 2018

A good course in introducing statistical mechanics concept with programming! If there are other advanced courses, I'm willing to take!

By Monika K

Aug 02, 2016

Way over my head but hope to keep working at it.

By Marcelo S

Aug 23, 2016

The course is excellent. Great quality of supplied material, teachers and assignments. I rate it on the fact that I was able to follow it and learn quite a lot on a subject that is far from easy, and I'm pleased with the results.

The only issue / recommendation I can point out : The course is not very specific on the needed background. As an example, I took this course being an engineer with a decent understanding of maths, a less-decent understanding of physics (almost no quantum physics background), and experience with python programming: in my case, it required a lot of effort in order to follow some of the chapters (specially the ones focused in quantum physics), and normally always more than the normal 8 hs/week. I recommend the student to have some background on probability theory / functions and python programming so as to follow easier, and expect some difficulty in fully understanding some of the subjects. I still rate it 5 stars.

By Simon C

Jun 27, 2017

A great introduction to the ideas of statistical mechanics and Monte Carlo methods. I also like Dr. Krauth's sense of humour. He begins by imagining children on the beach in Monte Carlo, computing pi by throwing pebbles.

If you're looking for a nice set of lectures followed by easy multiple choice questions, this course isn't for you. The lectures and tutorials are very professional, Dr. Krauth & his students have done a great job, but the assignments are where you will learn the most. They are hard work, and I found I had to think hard. Don't leave them until the last minute: start early, and break for a walk outside when you get stuck. They really teach the ideas.

I started this course to support other coursework as was doing, as I felt my command of thermodynamics was a bit shaky. I've found it enjoyable in its own right. I've learned to appreciate Monte Carlo methods, and apply them to my own work on Molecular Diagnosis.

By Bingyu Z

May 29, 2016

The course is self-contained. Very good for people even if they are not physicist. They can still learn a lot about computational methods that are useful in many ways.

By César A L

Dec 22, 2017

You will learn not only the theory about how to solve differente many body problems, but you will laso will adquire the hability to ptogram the solutions for any incoming value in almost any related problem

the best statiscal mechanics course i've taken in my whole live. I also bought the book by Werner, it's very well written

By RLee

Aug 28, 2017

Engage students with the world of Statistical Mechanics by making hands dirty. One needs to have some basics in Quantum Mechanics or Thermodynamics in order to make sense of what have been done. Not sufficient mathematical proof and intuition could be found in Professor's textbook, although it is good to have it free. The solutions to Newton's packing problem is a kind of surprise. Not sufficient conclusions to problems like with and without boundaries; one-half rules; violation of tabula rasa rules; rejection-free direct sampling to avoid Metropolis Algorithm; simulated annealing. These gaps need to be filled in order to make it more self-sufficient. But still it is a very sincere effort to promote this branch of Physics to the world. It is very transferable to Mathematical Finance and Artificial Intelligence.

By Erik P

Aug 20, 2017

Very clear and very interesting! The exercises are a bit difficult (especially for me that I'm only a beginner in Python) but it's a powerful introduction to computational condensed matter physics!

I suggest it for people that already has the rudiments of Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics and algorithmic approach to every-day problems

By Uwe K

Feb 06, 2017

All is said. Strongly recommended

By wali_1314

Oct 10, 2017

brilliant!!!

By Mehdi H

Mar 08, 2018

I really enjoyed the course. The only problem was that I was using python 3+ and the programs were written with python 2+. There are some minor differences but I figured the them easily.

By Philipp K

Aug 07, 2016

Really good course. Thanks for all that work you put in the lectures.

By Kaushal k

Dec 24, 2016

good one

By Michele G

Mar 05, 2018

This is a really great course! The concepts proposed here are kind of advanced for non physicists (and a full understanding of all the theory beyod it would require much more than 2 and a half months!), but the course is so well managed and the lecturers are so good that I think that most graduate people from semi-thechnical fields can keep up and be very satisfied about everything!

Jul 30, 2016

This course was awesome! Although, I can tell I'll need another pass at it to understand things more fully...

By Teng

Jun 05, 2017

A good combination of physics and programming.