Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UF

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

EO

May 12, 2020

The course was comprehensive in helping me understand how to approach science writing, especially in the area of climate change. Am confident this will help me a great deal in my work.

1 - 25 of 452 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By evens d

Apr 28, 2019

I find the course to be valuable. Video lectures were engaging and very good quality. Practice examples and quizzes were pointed and relevant. The consequence of all this is that I learned a great deal about global warming and gained valuable insights about what we can, and should do to curb some of it's negative impacts. Otherwise, the consequences of inaction is far too great.

By QUAN M N

Jan 06, 2019

I would like to express my gratitude to Coursera and Penn University that give me useful lessons to improve my learning skills and upgrade more knowledge in the fields for my future.

By Sarchia K

Sep 15, 2017

Nice course, not only for learning English, also to be familiar with causes and effects of Climate Change in our world, and the new sources for creating renewable energy.

By João M S d N

Jan 15, 2018

Uau !! Adorei fazer esse curso. Foi uma experiência muito empolgante. Quero fazer outros. Não me sentia preparado , ou estava com medo de não dar conta, mas a partir da 3ª semana comecei a ler com mais autonomia os textos e entender os áudios. Foi uma ótima experiência que tive e aprendi muito. Esse mês de janeiro não possuo recurso para pagar o certificado mas gostaria de comprar o curso mais para frente se for possível. Realmente estou encantado com a plataforma.

By Liu R

May 21, 2019

I've not used MOOC for a long time as well as English, so I took this course as my comeback bufferin. It fulfilled my purpose as the the English taught here is clear and without stress (you can speed up the video whenever you want), to add to that it taught me a lot of knowledge about climate change and scientific findings new to me. The citing skills and reference standards are things I'd always wanted to learn. All in all, it's of great help to me.

By Mohamed H A

Jul 20, 2018

A very fruitful course in knowledge and language.

I also benefit from the style you use on your videos .

I use some sites such as quizlet.

I got 92.4 % . Thank you very much.

By Deepak U

Mar 25, 2019

It was good course. Great concepts of emerging science. Reading and Writing Scientific literature was impressive.

By Aness N

Apr 15, 2019

I have learned a lot about climate change and improved my English

By Nguyễn P

Apr 12, 2019

This is a great course, will asked my family member to enroll

By Benhenia w

Jan 22, 2020

This corse was amazing thank you so much

By yuri m p c

May 01, 2019

very useful, for life, for job, for all

By gowtham

Apr 09, 2019

Well constructed course for beginners.

By Ana M

Apr 19, 2020

This course is very interactive with different videos, texts for reading, quizzes and games. Topic is very popular and they made perfect balance between learning English (grammar, tips for reading professional texts etc.) and about climate change. For this five weeks I have learned a lot and I really enjoy in it. I would recommend this course to everyone who are interested in environment, climate change, technology or just want to spread their knowledge and learn new things. It doesn't require a lot of time, but believe me - you will want to spend a lot of time in this course!

By Priyanka F P

May 09, 2019

Super

By sandipkunwar

May 09, 2019

good

By Srijan S

Aug 23, 2019

Solar energy is radiant light and heat from the Sun that is harnessed using a range of ever-evolving technologies such as solar heating, photovoltaics, solar thermal energy, solar architecture, molten salt power plants and artificial photosynthesis.[1][2]

It is an important source of renewable energy and its technologies are broadly characterized as either passive solar or active solar depending on how they capture and distribute solar energy or convert it into solar power. Active solar techniques include the use of photovoltaic systems, concentrated solar power and solar water heating to harness the energy. Passive solar techniques include orienting a building to the Sun, selecting materials with favorable thermal mass or light-dispersing properties, and designing spaces that naturally circulate air.

The large magnitude of solar energy available makes it a highly appealing source of electricity. The United Nations Development Programme in its 2000 World Energy Assessment found that the annual potential of solar energy was 1,575–49,837 exajoules(EJ). This is several times larger than the total world energy consumption, which was 559.8 EJ in 2012.[3][4]

By Lalaine G S

English for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics is a great online course I have studied. It's amazing to learn more about the use of english language, the proper way of delivering ones speech or article. This course encourages learners to deeply understand the importance of science which is focused on renewable resources that could help eliminate the harmful gases causing our planet's temperature high. I am looking forward to access some free online courses for personal development and insight. Thank you.

By Sk I A

Apr 21, 2020

The Course is really awesome. It doesn't only makes us more skilled in English Language but this course is much more important for understanding the terrible things we have done our environment and what could be the future outcomes of this. Besides, we could also learn about new technologies specifically "Nanotechnology" which has the potential to do wonders for the mankind and you will definitely become happy learn about these things during the course.

By Axi

Dec 19, 2018

I am very grateful to the teachers Alyssa Swanson and Jack Sullivan for this excellent course!

All the material presented in the course is the highest quality, the explanations are clear and understandable, all videos are provided with a review of learning the material, all the tasks are perfectly prepared. In addition, most importantly - the relevance and importance of materials and the positive attitude of teachers! Made cool! Thank you very march.

By Whegang Y S

Nov 11, 2018

I really enjoyed the course. All steps including videos and practice readings were useful. I learned the impact of climate change and how human could contribute in reducing the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. I learned great on nanotechnology and how scientists are involved in testing new materials to increase the renewable energy system. And how new discoveries will change the human life across the world. Thank you!

By Erin R D G

May 30, 2017

Fue muy gratificante y reflexivo este curso, para tomar conciencia de que nuestro planeta nos necesita, y tenemos que usar los recursos naturales de manera responsable, porque los que primero sentimos las consecuencias del cambio climático, somos nosotros mismos. Gracias al generoso pueblo norteamericano,que a través de sus autoridades, nos brindan la oportunidad de tomar estos cursos para desarrollarnos como mejores personas.

By Nekpen O A

Oct 04, 2017

This course, I thought, was very well put together. The facilitators were phenomenal and were great in their delivery of all information related to this course.

Unfortunately, I did not put as much time as required for this course as I would have loved to even though I manged to complete it.

I feel this course was a good intro for me having been away from Coursera school for "many moons".

By Muse M I

May 07, 2020

I am highly appreciating for Coursera and the University of Pennsylvania for their wonderful preparation for this course which has allowed us to compete with people who studied English in science during school time.

Special thanks to my dear lectures Miss Alyssa Swanson and Mr. Jack Sulliban for their valuable time and breaking the difficulties into smaller.