Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UU

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

MA

Jul 20, 2018

A very fruitful course in knowledge and language.\n\nI also benefit from the style you use on your videos .\n\nI use some sites such as quizlet.\n\nI got 92.4 % . Thank you very much.

1 - 25 of 308 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By evens d

Apr 28, 2019

I find the course to be valuable. Video lectures were engaging and very good quality. Practice examples and quizzes were pointed and relevant. The consequence of all this is that I learned a great deal about global warming and gained valuable insights about what we can, and should do to curb some of it's negative impacts. Otherwise, the consequences of inaction is far too great.

By sandipkunwar

May 09, 2019

good

By Sakar C

May 09, 2019

Super

By yuri m p c

May 01, 2019

very useful, for life, for job, for all

By Aness N

Apr 15, 2019

I have learned a lot about climate change and improved my English

By Priyanka F P

Apr 14, 2019

Excellent technical information!

By Nguyễn P

Apr 12, 2019

This is a great course, will asked my family member to enroll

By Gaurav M

Mar 29, 2019

not received my certificate

By gowtham

Apr 09, 2019

Well constructed course for beginners.

By Deepak U

Mar 25, 2019

It was good course. Great concepts of emerging science. Reading and Writing Scientific literature was impressive.

By Liu R

May 21, 2019

I've not used MOOC for a long time as well as English, so I took this course as my comeback bufferin. It fulfilled my purpose as the the English taught here is clear and without stress (you can speed up the video whenever you want), to add to that it taught me a lot of knowledge about climate change and scientific findings new to me. The citing skills and reference standards are things I'd always wanted to learn. All in all, it's of great help to me.

By QUAN M N

Jan 06, 2019

I would like to express my gratitude to Coursera and Penn University that give me useful lessons to improve my learning skills and upgrade more knowledge in the fields for my future.

By JUAN C F F

Jan 16, 2019

excellent

By Aayush S

Jan 14, 2019

Thank you for this course.

By Yati S

Feb 02, 2019

I've got so many knowledge from this course.

By Artur F S d O

Jan 21, 2019

Best course

By Sagar S

Jan 23, 2019

This is probably going to help me and my other friends in their future.

By Carlos A V A

Dec 14, 2018

hermoso curso

By Aalok G

Jan 05, 2019

Really amazing course. Really a helpful course for students.

By Carol L

Jan 10, 2019

I really like how professionals were the instructors and the tematic addressed: the climate change!

By Sandy Y

Feb 24, 2019

This course is so great, I've learned so much from it. I've learn how to read STEM articles, how to write essays, how to present my thinking, and so forth. I really recommend this course to anyone who intend to step into college or academic area.

By Iryna A

Feb 24, 2019

Very interesting course! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! This topic is very important! Thank you for your work!

By Samyog C

Feb 28, 2019

good

By Kyoung H Y

Mar 04, 2019

T

By Cindy J N

Mar 04, 2019

I would like to recommend this to my friends and relatives too. I learned a lot in this course.