Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UF

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

EO

May 12, 2020

The course was comprehensive in helping me understand how to approach science writing, especially in the area of climate change. Am confident this will help me a great deal in my work.

101 - 125 of 458 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Willie V

Nov 01, 2017

Great course to learn especially for those who have inclination to Science, where all the science concepts are applied in English sentence construction!

By Sophía G

Jul 11, 2017

The topics covered in the STEM course are of transcendence for all of us, how it is alternative sources of renewable energy and reduce global warming

By Mohammad M A

May 29, 2017

A very very big thanks for providing such an amazing course, after taking this course I really become more comfortable with my career in Engineering.

By Karen M S

Dec 05, 2019

Me gustó mucho. Es un gran curso para dominar vocabulario en inglés y aprender más sobre diversos temas relacionados a la ciencia y las matemáticas.

By Richard E N O

Jul 15, 2019

Nice way to combine science and learning english with interesting topics such as climate change, new technologies, renewable energy sources, etc.

By Enderson N C

May 03, 2020

Excelent!! The course helped me to improve my language skills and my knowledge STEM subjects.

Materials are very intresting and useful.

Thank you.

By Akrm s a

Jul 09, 2017

It's great opportunity to improve my English skills, while I'm gaining new scientific information.Thank you very much to all coursera community.

By Pauline M A

Jul 07, 2017

I would love to experience this again. I learned a lot from this course and I will really recommend this to my friends or classmates. Thank you!

By Marcus V L d S

May 22, 2020

Great course with appropriate language and vocabulary. There are valuable discussions about very important subjects, especially climate change.

By José F P B

Oct 14, 2019

This course has everything necessary to learn English , makes me more confident in this language , I feel very happy to have this opportunity.

By Adriano H F

Dec 01, 2019

O curso é muito bom!!! Os instrutores são extraordinários. Os conceitos científicos foram apresentados com clareza bem como a língua inglesa.

By SANTHA A

Jan 17, 2018

A very interesting, useful, wonderful course, through which I learnt a lot about global warming and saving Planet Earth. Thank you very much.

By Gabriel R R

Sep 28, 2019

I'm very grateful because I really learned a lot with this course. It was great and I enjoyed it so much that I want to continue learning.

By Israel R G

Apr 28, 2020

its a great course to know about enviromental vocabulary and lear grammatical rules, with the videos we can practice the listening. Tanks

By Vielka D F M

Aug 18, 2017

Thanks, to all the instructors for their lessons, was of great use for me in my knowledge and application learned, thanks again everyone

By Margarita R

May 05, 2020

Thank you! It was truely an enjoyable and helpful course! I am sure the knowledge I recieved in this course will help me in my career.

By Cai Y

Sep 10, 2019

I think the content is really interesting and not hard. For non-native speaker, it's a good way to imporve listening and oral English.

By Gyaneshor k

Mar 05, 2020

i am very happy because I have completed this course.I am thankful to related members of this university as well as this university

By Bhavana

Jan 15, 2018

This is awesome course thank you for such a easy way of learning. Instructors are so good at expressing and explaining the concepts.

By Ezequiel B J

Jun 03, 2019

Great course for english starters, hoped to have more advance english, but the articles and information they gave where interesant.

By Ррр

Oct 07, 2017

Thank you for the course. I highly appreciate your effort as now I use all the information provided when talking about this topic.

By Luis B

Jun 15, 2017

Excellent course, for learning new terms on Science, Math and Technology, at the same time learning and practice English Language.

By Viki D

May 20, 2017

Its a great way of reviewing and learning once again English with the mixture of science, technology, engineering and mathematics

By Paula N

Jul 16, 2017

Excelente curso!!!! O curso apresenta uma metodologia e uma dinâmica muito boa de aprendizagem da língua inglesa. Thank you!!!

By Jose M A

Jul 14, 2019

The course uses an exciting way to introduce scientific language. And the study case, Climate Change, is an excellent matter.