Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EC
Sep 25, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to our instructors, Mr Jack and Ms Alyssa for an enjoyable course on STEM!\n\nIt was a very good learning experience!\n\nThank you!

DR
Jul 5, 2017

Great course! You can learn about modal verbs, intensifiers, present progressive and much more very easily. And is important too to know the methods and techniques for write a scientific article.

101 - 125 of 549 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Mahmoud H M

May 22, 2020

The course was very good and the professors were good but it wasn't very useful for improving my English as improving my knowledge about global warming and climate change 😄🤷🏻‍♂️

By Ana C F

Mar 23, 2020

It is essential for my career and studies to improve my English skills related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics areas. I am really satisfied with this course!

By Anyi C M D

Apr 15, 2020

It was amazing, I learned so much and improved some skills in English. All topics were really interesting and help me to have more concience about our Earth planet.

Thank you!

By Noemi F

Jun 7, 2017

I have been supporting MOOC groups at my BNC American Space in Sorocaba, SP-Brazil,CCBEU-Sorocaba. We have more than 160 people enrolled in 5 groups!

Great fun!

Noemi Fontao

By Diego A C F

Jun 5, 2020

Excelente curso para poner en práctica los conocimientos sobre el idioma y también da un gran plus para aprender nuevos temas y vocabulario relacionado con STEM. Muy bueno.

By Kh

Jun 2, 2020

Perfect course, perfect teachers, perfect program, very interesting topic, Very valuable information, every thing was perfect, I'm really appreciate that, thank you so much

By Ali T

Jun 10, 2020

It was and excellent course not only for learning English bu also to gain knowledge regarding protecting our planet. Many thanks to dear instructors and coursera website!

By Paulina M S

Apr 7, 2018

Thanks for everything! I learned a lot about climate change and current studies, experiments and possible solutions in the world.

I have also improved my English skills.

By Bauyrzhan S

Jul 27, 2020

The course contains helpful and interesting information, good instructions about scientific advances from 2010s. A nice introductory course about science for beginners

By Mónica V M R

Sep 11, 2020

Los temas son muy interesantes y eso te motiva a seguir leyendo, ya que aprendes ingles y lo que esta sucediendo entre la comunidad científica, en el área citada.

By Ricardo N M

Jul 8, 2018

This course is very valuable, because it improve us in the english language and to same time teach us about enviromental issue very important for the human being.

By Nathalia P d O

Jun 13, 2017

Curso muito didático, apesar do meu nível de inglês ainda consigo acompanhar as aulas.

Achei perfeito o material e os professores, sem dúvidas aprendo a cada dia.

By Gabriela P

Jun 9, 2017

It is an excellent course. This course is rich in information about climate change, global warming. Many thanks to the instructors and University of Philadelphia.

By Younsi Z

Jun 7, 2020

The course was a comprehensive and really effective and informative course. I would like to express my gratitude to Coursera and Penn University.

thanks a lot

By Tun L A

Jan 15, 2018

To develop systematically your English language skills and to improve scientifically you knowledge about global warming. This course will give you all above.

By Miguel A G M

Sep 4, 2020

Un curso que nos ayuda a comprender mejor los conceptos científicos en inglés y aparte nos nutre de vocabulario y gramática que se utiliza en la universidad

By Leandro S

Feb 24, 2020

Excelente curso, adorei a metodologia, a qualidade dos textos para leitura, e dos vídeos dos professores, super recomendo, ampliou muito o meu vocabulário!

By Piangtawan C

Apr 17, 2020

Very well-engineered course suitable for non-English speakers who are interested in science. No need for scientific background. Many engaging activities.

By Willie V

Nov 1, 2017

Great course to learn especially for those who have inclination to Science, where all the science concepts are applied in English sentence construction!

By Sophía G

Jul 10, 2017

The topics covered in the STEM course are of transcendence for all of us, how it is alternative sources of renewable energy and reduce global warming

By Mohammad M A

May 29, 2017

A very very big thanks for providing such an amazing course, after taking this course I really become more comfortable with my career in Engineering.

By Karen M S

Dec 5, 2019

Me gustó mucho. Es un gran curso para dominar vocabulario en inglés y aprender más sobre diversos temas relacionados a la ciencia y las matemáticas.

By Richard E N O

Jul 14, 2019

Nice way to combine science and learning english with interesting topics such as climate change, new technologies, renewable energy sources, etc.

By Enderson N C

May 3, 2020

Excelent!! The course helped me to improve my language skills and my knowledge STEM subjects.

Materials are very intresting and useful.

Thank you.

By Akrm s a

Jul 9, 2017

It's great opportunity to improve my English skills, while I'm gaining new scientific information.Thank you very much to all coursera community.