Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UU

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

MA

Jul 20, 2018

A very fruitful course in knowledge and language.\n\nI also benefit from the style you use on your videos .\n\nI use some sites such as quizlet.\n\nI got 92.4 % . Thank you very much.

26 - 50 of 318 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Jennifer F

Jun 11, 2017

I am not ESL but I have always had trouble with science. I took this course so I could take more courses in science and be able to understand them. I think classes like this should be made available to people like me from elementary school on. I'm glad I was able to take it now.

By Chin M Y

May 12, 2018

I like this course. It helps me with my vocabularies and the tutors' teaching method is fun and interacting with games and discussion forums, and the assignments are just cool and helped me with my pronounciation and of course give me a better understanding in global warming.

By MARCIO D S C

Jul 10, 2017

This was one of the best English language courses I've ever attended. Bringing a real background to study, in this case climate change, has not only made it easier to learn the English language, but also gave us a deeper understanding of what is really happening to the world.

By Marcelo M

Jul 18, 2017

I liked the course, the didactic way in which the course was presented, the slow way of speaking helped to understand the pronunciation well. I liked the games that encouraged you to learn in a didactic and fun way.

Congratulations on the teaching method. Hugs

By BO G

Jul 07, 2017

I strong love this practical and efficiently online courses. I think I catch the main ideas of each chapter. The ways of expressing STEM ideas will help me. Although there are some minor mistakes in the courses, I still believe it is a high quality course for everyone.

By AGBENOU K

Jul 25, 2017

The course was so interesting. It helped me not only to widen my knowledge at English but also to understand more about the causes and the impacts of climate change and the solution ways to save our planet from those impacts.

I recommend this course to everyone.

By Lindy L

Nov 18, 2017

Taking this course is really a great help for me. I've been teaching SCIENCE in grade 9 and the topic climate change will be discussed on the third quarter. A lot of information i get from this course which i can use in my class discussions.

Thank you so much.

By Hisham K

Jul 22, 2017

I liked the articles.

I was able to know more things about climate change and global worming.

The video presentations were marvelous with the cartoon illustrations and experiments.

The whole course was informative and added to knowledge.

Thank you so much!

By Sandy Y

Feb 24, 2019

This course is so great, I've learned so much from it. I've learn how to read STEM articles, how to write essays, how to present my thinking, and so forth. I really recommend this course to anyone who intend to step into college or academic area.

By Orakan K

Nov 29, 2019

This course opened my mind to learn more about climate change and new technology. I never realized before that the climate situation that we faced now is bad. Anyway, I think I improved my language skill. Thank you for making the useful course.

By miguel a g g

May 22, 2019

It's a course where you can learn many words else what are the causes of the climate change, differences between climate change and global warming, how help to the environment etc. I'm very satisifed with this course. A great greeting everyone.

By Maha N E

Mar 04, 2019

This course is very useful ,added to my knowledge a lot , made me aware of the changes which are happening around us and encouraged me to make change in my lifestyle and be a part of the solution to help our environment to get better. Thanks

By Angélica J S C

Jul 31, 2019

Es un curso muy completo, en el cual pude aprender una gran cantidad de vocabulario relacionado con el tema STEM y mejorar mucho mi inglés en cuanto a pronunciación, lectura y escritura. Los profesores son muy buenos también, muchas gracias!

By Sergio M

May 09, 2018

This course has helped me very much to improve my English communication skills, because an English learner I need interesting themes like this to continue practice. I will definitely take some other courses of University of Pennsylvania.

By Maria E

Dec 07, 2019

This course has favored me a lot to learn in the English language, and what better, taking it with the subject of my interest, renewable energies and the damages that we cause in the environment!

Thanks for everything, very good course!

By S Y

Jan 01, 2018

It's very helpful course to understand some scientific terms, both the instructors are very good. It helped to increase my knowledge about current major issues and how to use English to explain scientific terms more effectively.

By KARTHIK K

Aug 16, 2019

Really A Fantastic Course. Before I enroll I thought it is only an English course, but the contents used made the course very informative. I sincerely thank the Professors for their commitment in this course. Thank You one again.

By OCTAVIO A F N

Jan 16, 2020

It´s a really good course where you can find a lot of techniques and vocabulary to learn English and improve your English if you have already a level of this language. I´m from Mexico and this course for me was soo useful

By Метелица Ю

Dec 04, 2017

Хороший курс. Из лекций и текстов почерпнула для себя много новых слов, идиом и устойчивых выражений. Задания по грамматике рассчитаны на не очень высокий уровень, но повторить пройденное никогда не будет лишним.

By Ghani J

Mar 31, 2018

It is a very informative course and has developed my knowledge about global warning and its consequences along with English Language structures. I would definitely recommend you to join this informative course.

By Shih T H

Oct 13, 2019

Really thankful for the professors, I get lots of information about global warming. I will definitely join for the next course tough by the professors from Pennsylvania University. Thank you for all of this.

By Cybelle F F M

Jul 11, 2017

Very good way to teach both, STEM language skills and the Greenhouse Effect problem.

The teachers speaks slowly and clearly and the subject is presented in a very simple and efficient way to us, students.

By Hoa D

Aug 20, 2017

I have learned a lot from this course, not only English but also the content in this course. Now, I know more about climate change, its impacts and the need of doing something before too late. Thank you!

By Paulo A

Jun 27, 2017

Muito bom o curso, além de ser uma ferramenta para auxiliar no estudo da língua inglesa, também você consegue aprimorar o conhecimento de outras áreas, neste caso da ciência. Ótimo curso, recomendo!