Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UF

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

EO

May 12, 2020

The course was comprehensive in helping me understand how to approach science writing, especially in the area of climate change. Am confident this will help me a great deal in my work.

51 - 75 of 457 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Marco A P G

Apr 19, 2020

This was a pretty good course for someone who is in an intermediate level of English and even it helps for some C1 too. This climate change issue it's very important so everyone needs to see this as a real problem rather than something that "just happen".

By Hisham K

Jul 22, 2017

I liked the articles.

I was able to know more things about climate change and global worming.

The video presentations were marvelous with the cartoon illustrations and experiments.

The whole course was informative and added to knowledge.

Thank you so much!

By Сорокин З Ю

Apr 26, 2020

The course taught me to understand the text in English, to be able to speak and write well. He also spoke about the environmental problems of the world, about their solutions and consequences. I realized that the future of the Earth depends on us.

By Karina I

I am very happy to have completed this course. I got a lot of new knowledge on the topic of STEM. The organization of the course is very well structured and prepared. Watching a video is a pleasure. Thanks a lot for the opportunity to get better.

By Sridharbabu Y

Apr 30, 2020

WOnderful course, well explained each and every part of the course. Thanks to Mr. Jack Sullivan and Ms. Alyssa Swanson. I also learned how impressively and effectively one can explain a concept. Great experience. I strongly recommend this course.

By Sandy Y

Feb 24, 2019

This course is so great, I've learned so much from it. I've learn how to read STEM articles, how to write essays, how to present my thinking, and so forth. I really recommend this course to anyone who intend to step into college or academic area.

By Orakan K

Nov 29, 2019

This course opened my mind to learn more about climate change and new technology. I never realized before that the climate situation that we faced now is bad. Anyway, I think I improved my language skill. Thank you for making the useful course.

By miguel a g g

May 22, 2019

It's a course where you can learn many words else what are the causes of the climate change, differences between climate change and global warming, how help to the environment etc. I'm very satisifed with this course. A great greeting everyone.

By Maha N E

Mar 04, 2019

This course is very useful ,added to my knowledge a lot , made me aware of the changes which are happening around us and encouraged me to make change in my lifestyle and be a part of the solution to help our environment to get better. Thanks

By Angélica J S C

Jul 31, 2019

Es un curso muy completo, en el cual pude aprender una gran cantidad de vocabulario relacionado con el tema STEM y mejorar mucho mi inglés en cuanto a pronunciación, lectura y escritura. Los profesores son muy buenos también, muchas gracias!

By Bianca B

May 13, 2020

Great course for beginner students of English. Also it s a oportunity to study two topics and the same time: English and Science. The topic about Climate Change is actual and demand discussions and understood about consequence for our world

By Sergio M

May 09, 2018

This course has helped me very much to improve my English communication skills, because an English learner I need interesting themes like this to continue practice. I will definitely take some other courses of University of Pennsylvania.

By Maria E

Dec 07, 2019

This course has favored me a lot to learn in the English language, and what better, taking it with the subject of my interest, renewable energies and the damages that we cause in the environment!

Thanks for everything, very good course!

By DULCEMARIA G S

The course is intense compared to others on this platform (double or triple content, homework and tests) for the same reason you learn a lot. It is very pedagogical, scientific, interesting and strategic. I love it! 100% recommended!

By S Y

Jan 01, 2018

It's very helpful course to understand some scientific terms, both the instructors are very good. It helped to increase my knowledge about current major issues and how to use English to explain scientific terms more effectively.

By KARTHIK K

Aug 16, 2019

Really A Fantastic Course. Before I enroll I thought it is only an English course, but the contents used made the course very informative. I sincerely thank the Professors for their commitment in this course. Thank You one again.

By OCTAVIO A F N

Jan 16, 2020

It´s a really good course where you can find a lot of techniques and vocabulary to learn English and improve your English if you have already a level of this language. I´m from Mexico and this course for me was soo useful

By Метелица Ю

Dec 04, 2017

Хороший курс. Из лекций и текстов почерпнула для себя много новых слов, идиом и устойчивых выражений. Задания по грамматике рассчитаны на не очень высокий уровень, но повторить пройденное никогда не будет лишним.

By Ladislav Č

Apr 24, 2020

This course is really well designed. It gave me useful information on how to work with a scientific text and vocabulary/grammar which should be used in the STEM field. Authors of the course did a brilliant job!

By Ghani J

Mar 31, 2018

It is a very informative course and has developed my knowledge about global warning and its consequences along with English Language structures. I would definitely recommend you to join this informative course.

By Әсел Б

Apr 20, 2020

Thank you so much. Course helped me to improve my thinking and writing also speaking skills how to make right senescent and I have improved my vocabulary in addition I got a lot of knowledge about our climate

By Gabriela S R

This course gave me a lot of valuable information about the global warm, why is happening and what scientific community in doing to fight against this problem and what we can do to help our world. Thank you!

By Shih T H

Oct 13, 2019

Really thankful for the professors, I get lots of information about global warming. I will definitely join for the next course tough by the professors from Pennsylvania University. Thank you for all of this.

By Zhanat Y

Interesting and useful course for STEM teachers with a broad range vocabulary, quizzes, interesting articles, helpful grammar tips, and more. Thank you very much lecturers, and Penn for their contribution!