Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UF

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

EO

May 12, 2020

The course was comprehensive in helping me understand how to approach science writing, especially in the area of climate change. Am confident this will help me a great deal in my work.

126 - 150 of 454 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Abigail F P

Nov 30, 2017

I have learned so much that I'm very excited to share them with my students. Thank you for coming up with this great course.

By Ingrid N O S

Jul 15, 2019

It was an amazing experience to learn more about engineering and technology, hope to use this knowledge in my diary life !

Jan 26, 2019

this is not only useful for non English-speaking country, but this also provide a supportive English-learning environment.

By Tiago P G N

Sep 20, 2017

Ótimo para praticar e aprender. Além de ser um assunto que interessa a todos nós, o que torna o curso mais atraente ainda.

By pushpatamang

Sep 12, 2019

it is very difficult . but i did not lose my confidence and do ahead . today i fell very happy . and thank you coursera .

By Sérgio d A A

Oct 01, 2018

Curso excelente com muito conteúdo interessante ensinado de forma criativa e descontraida. Excelentes professores também.

By Blanca P

Apr 22, 2020

This course was excellent; I learned about English and Science. It helped me to improve my English as a second language.

By Emiliano J B M

Realmente me pareció un curso muy didáctico, entretenido y por sobe todo se aprende mucho de temas varios y del ingles.

By JOSE R C P

Apr 10, 2020

It has been a well-developed course, especially when familiar words are reviewed in practice and applied to technology.

By Tsz K T

Aug 01, 2019

I have not studied a course since I graduated around 10 years ago. This course makes me take back my passion to learn.

By Iryna A

Feb 24, 2019

Very interesting course! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! This topic is very important! Thank you for your work!

By Gabriela V S d S

Dec 16, 2019

It is amazing how you get envolved by the subjects aborded and learn at ther same time. Thank you for the knoledge.

By Tatjana J

Jun 30, 2017

Excellent course! My reading skills have improved tremendously as well as the ability to write effective summaries.

By Ossitashvili N

May 01, 2020

It was a great opportunity for me as a teacher of English to learn more and get certificate "English for Science"

By Kristian C B

Sep 19, 2019

This course has thought me valuable lessons about climate change and its effect in the environment and the people.

By Dubrovina I G

Apr 27, 2020

Many thanks to the organizers of the course for the opportunity to replenish their knowledge about this topic !!!

By Iris C M P T

Apr 16, 2020

The course shows important concepts for STEM, I am so thankful for the financial aid that coursera provides to me

By Felipe S d C

May 25, 2019

I recommend this course because it contributed to much my knowledge,

especially with my English language skills.

By Anahi V H

Amazing, It´s a great way to learn about climate change and english.

helped me practice and improve my English

By Alexei R

Jul 19, 2017

It´has been a really good course en which I could learn to know technic words and new language. I recomend you.

By Maria G S B

Excellent course! I've increased my English vocabulary and reviewed several important questions about science.

By Loienko A

May 22, 2020

Thank you so much for this experience, for this strongly interesting and useful course. I will recommend it.

By Joseph G

Nov 14, 2017

I had fun accomplishing this course and learned so much. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania.

By George P

Dec 26, 2018

It is very easy to understand and learn and it is very enjoyable with many quizzes and videos and readings.

By KOBBI M

Dec 08, 2019

It was very well organized and rich in technical informations and grammer rules.