Back to The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning by University of Colorado Boulder

Social and emotional learning, or SEL, programs have flourished in schools during the last decade. While this growth has been impressive, inadequate attention has been paid to teachers’ social and emotional learning. In this course Dan Liston and Randy Testa introduce you to various rationales for why teacher SEL is needed as well as examine and reflect on various emotions in teaching and learning. This course is a part of the 5-course Specialization “The Teacher and Social Emotional Learning (SEL)”. Interested in earning 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization?? If so check out "How you can earn 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization" reading in the first module of this course for additional information. We want to note that the courses in this Specialization were designed with a three-credit university course load in mind. As a participant you may notice a bit more reading content and a little less video/lecture content. Completing and passing the SEL Specialization allows the participant to apply for 3 graduate credits toward teacher re-certification and professional enhancement. We want to ensure the quality and high standards of a University of Colorado learning experience. Interested in earning 3 graduate credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for The Teacher and Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Specialization? Check out "How you can earn 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization" reading in the first week of this course for more information....

SA

Jul 27, 2020

It is an amazing course for all teachers and educationists who want to dig deep into the subject of social and emotional learning. I learned so many things and I hope it will benefit me in the future.

A

Jan 05, 2019

I was feeling down about my recent teaching experiences and this course has reconnected me to why I began teaching in the first place. I will return to the readings for future enlightenment.

76 - 100 of 110 Reviews for The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning

Oct 21, 2019

Thanks

By Valerie V K

Aug 17, 2018

This course involves reading a lot of old text passages that feel rather outdated. It feels like it could be offering more modern-day, practical lessons on how to manage the task of managing a classroom. Now that I've completed SEL for Students: A Path to Social Emotional Well-Being, I have a better understanding of why the course isn't focused on that: there are many SEL strategies, and different forms of teacher training will be provided depending on the strategy used. Still, it'd have been nice to get an overview of the most common ones used.

Feb 28, 2018

I loved it. Really inspiring. Just missed more practical exercises instead ob reading, but still love it. The videos are incredible and made me think a lot about different ways of teaching as well as why is it so important to connect with students or people in general and no just teach them something and leave. I have always thougt that we have a lack of feelings, and that we should try to improve this to have better realtionships in general throughout our lifetime. Because we all know we only live once, but If we do it right, once is enough.

By Tierney L

Oct 06, 2018

As a young teacher who just recently left the classroom I could sympathize with much of the content. It really helped me put my feelings into perspective. I cannot say that it was convincing enough to make me want to get another job at a public school, but it did allow me to better communicate to others about why I struggled in that environment.

By Florentina D

May 02, 2020

Exploring the self- as a teacher is often an overlooked process, but ever so important. The course helped me reflect better as a teacher. The course ware enable me to pull key points for me to work with in the new future, and I'm sure I'll be revisiting the reading material to help me cope in the long term.

By Julieta R G

Jul 09, 2018

I really enjoyed thinking about my teaching experience and as myself as a person in contact with others rather than just someone who stands in front of a class. However, I did find some of the readings to be rather obscure.

By Adriana A J

Sep 15, 2020

information is really useful but texts are hard to read, the embedded format in PDF doesn´t allow to make letters bigger to ease the reading, and the questions are really hard LOL!! I had hard times going through quizzes!!

By Hilary D

Jul 12, 2020

The content was interesting and well delivered, but I didn't think the quizzes were very well written. Some of the questions had answers that were vague and too similar to the others to effectively find the right answer.

By Ananda M

Mar 26, 2018

This course includes many interesting reading passages on SEL. However, the scans could have been made a little bit more reader-friendly by cropping them to individual pages rather than double-page spreads.

By Richard G

Mar 30, 2020

I originally took this course believing that it was designed on teachers implementing SEL but I kept going because I felt that I could apply this with my colleagues and my students.

By VCaddel

Aug 03, 2020

The material is mostly relevant. There are some multiple choice questions which are so finite it is difficult to find the answers. I am a careful reader and took notes.

By Tara O

Mar 01, 2018

Helpful course and enjoyed the process. To improve the course it may be beneficial to add more modern articles and some more information on contemporary research.

By Kandice S

Jan 22, 2020

Dewey promotes racial disenfranchisement and I didn't like that we ended promoting his believes. Other than that, I very much enjoyed the entire process.

By Cory J

Jun 02, 2018

The video are nice and the chapters are interesting. I haven't seen how I can implement any of the concepts into my own class room or life.