Back to The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning

The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning, University of Colorado Boulder

About this Course

Social and emotional learning, or SEL, programs have flourished in schools during the last decade. While this growth has been impressive, inadequate attention has been paid to teachers’ social and emotional learning. In this course Dan Liston and Randy Testa introduce you to various rationales for why teacher SEL is needed as well as examine and reflect on various emotions in teaching and learning. This course is a part of the 5-course Specialization “The Teacher and Social Emotional Learning (SEL)”. Interested in earning 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization?? If so check out "How you can earn 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization" reading in the first module of this course for additional information. We want to note that the courses in this Specialization were designed with a three-credit university course load in mind. As a participant you may notice a bit more reading content and a little less video/lecture content. Completing and passing the SEL Specialization allows the participant to apply for 3 graduate credits toward teacher re-certification and professional enhancement. We want to ensure the quality and high standards of a University of Colorado learning experience. Interested in earning 3 graduate credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for The Teacher and Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Specialization? Check out "How you can earn 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization" reading in the first week of this course for more information....

By A

Jan 05, 2019

I was feeling down about my recent teaching experiences and this course has reconnected me to why I began teaching in the first place. I will return to the readings for future enlightenment.

By MG

Mar 11, 2018

Great insights on a much neglected or marginalized aspect of social and emotional learning that is centered on the teacher as the corner stone of a healthy educational environment.

19 Reviews

By Alannah Dore

Jan 05, 2019

By Jorge Blanco

Nov 05, 2018

Una experiencia de aprendizaje estupenda.

Ha satisfecho mis expectativas completamente.

By Tierney Lain

Oct 06, 2018

As a young teacher who just recently left the classroom I could sympathize with much of the content. It really helped me put my feelings into perspective. I cannot say that it was convincing enough to make me want to get another job at a public school, but it did allow me to better communicate to others about why I struggled in that environment.

By Valerie Van Kerckhove

Aug 17, 2018

This course involves reading a lot of old text passages that feel rather outdated. It feels like it could be offering more modern-day, practical lessons on how to manage the task of managing a classroom. Now that I've completed SEL for Students: A Path to Social Emotional Well-Being, I have a better understanding of why the course isn't focused on that: there are many SEL strategies, and different forms of teacher training will be provided depending on the strategy used. Still, it'd have been nice to get an overview of the most common ones used.

By Trish Duggan

Aug 11, 2018

This course is extremely helpful to teachers wanting/needing to re-energize. It affirms thoughts and feelings experienced by teachers on a regular basis, but provides a framework to change the way we think about those feelings. Well worth taking.

By Julieta Romina Greco

Jul 09, 2018

I really enjoyed thinking about my teaching experience and as myself as a person in contact with others rather than just someone who stands in front of a class. However, I did find some of the readings to be rather obscure.

By Martha Rivero Marín

Jun 26, 2018

I loved it, it´s helping me with my own way of teaching and beeing a mother (I´m learning what I want my daughter to have in her life) and what really matters

By Anran NIU

Jun 15, 2018

Inspiring course with rich materials and open opportunities for further exploration along your own interest!

By Youssef A. Ragab

Jun 09, 2018

Very nice and interesting. Helped in understanding motives and what we should work on to succeed in teaching.

By Michelle Hurlburt

Jun 03, 2018

The content offered in this course gave me lots of food for thought in terms of my own personal self-awareness.