Back to The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning by University of Colorado Boulder

Social and emotional learning, or SEL, programs have flourished in schools during the last decade. While this growth has been impressive, inadequate attention has been paid to teachers’ social and emotional learning. In this course Dan Liston and Randy Testa introduce you to various rationales for why teacher SEL is needed as well as examine and reflect on various emotions in teaching and learning. This course is a part of the 5-course Specialization “The Teacher and Social Emotional Learning (SEL)”. Interested in earning 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization?? If so check out "How you can earn 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization" reading in the first module of this course for additional information. We want to note that the courses in this Specialization were designed with a three-credit university course load in mind. As a participant you may notice a bit more reading content and a little less video/lecture content. Completing and passing the SEL Specialization allows the participant to apply for 3 graduate credits toward teacher re-certification and professional enhancement. We want to ensure the quality and high standards of a University of Colorado learning experience. Interested in earning 3 graduate credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for The Teacher and Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Specialization? Check out "How you can earn 3 university credits from the University of Colorado-Boulder for this specialization" reading in the first week of this course for more information....

SA

Jul 27, 2020

It is an amazing course for all teachers and educationists who want to dig deep into the subject of social and emotional learning. I learned so many things and I hope it will benefit me in the future.

A

Jan 05, 2019

I was feeling down about my recent teaching experiences and this course has reconnected me to why I began teaching in the first place. I will return to the readings for future enlightenment.

1 - 25 of 94 Reviews for The Teacher's Social and Emotional Learning

By María I S

Mar 16, 2020

It was very interesting to think about why teachers tend to lose the passion they used to have when they started teaching. It also helped me to realize why I want to keep doing this job. Most of the time we are really busy grading our students, attending to meeting with no purpose, or being trapped in educational politics that have no meaning while you are in the class, but we do not take the time to think about our emotions and how this affects our work

By Omar T

Mar 25, 2020

I would like to thank Dr. Dan Liston and Dr. Randy Testa for their insightful viewpoints on the subject matter. This course is amazingly interesting! If you are new to SEL, you should definitely consider taking this course. I have learned so many things about teacher's social and emotional learning. I also learned how to grow grit as well as how to deal with despair.

By Trevor W G

Jul 18, 2019

I loved this course, it was a lot more involved in developing a foundation, of emotional intelligence and self efficacy for teachers than I expected. The sincerity and dedication of John Liston to making a positive impact on educators taking this course was apparent in the pdfs he authored - it was a joy and a privilege to take this course.

By Rajat T

Jan 08, 2020

This course needs some modifications. There's a lot of reading materials. I wish there were more interactive parts such as case studies , interviews, and peer guided assignments.

By Boon H S

Oct 20, 2019

This course is resourceful and provide wide range of knowledge. It is important to note that self-learning is a key factor to succeed in this course as materials are given to learners to read by themselves. Nonetheless, I love how it gives space and time for learners to think by themselves or to have own opinions in different matters.u

By Jessica W

Apr 21, 2019

Awesome, research based, practical, engaging and relevant. This is an excellent course for those who work in education and want to learn more about the importance of Teacher's knowing themselves and their emotions, students social emotional learning and social emotional program choices for school wide and classroom implementation.

By Sheena B

Apr 14, 2020

Being a teacher, who has an experience of 3 years, I feel this i a very enlightening course for me. I have still have a lot of enthusiasm for my vocation but loved to understand how this enthusiasm may falter, yet it can be rekindled. I highly recommend this course to all the teachers.

By Amber S

May 02, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and found many things that I can take back and apply for Professional Development with teachers. The only suggestion is on Week 5 - the questions on the first video do not match. They are supposed to be on the second Duckworth Video. Thanks!

By Trish D

Aug 11, 2018

This course is extremely helpful to teachers wanting/needing to re-energize. It affirms thoughts and feelings experienced by teachers on a regular basis, but provides a framework to change the way we think about those feelings. Well worth taking.

By Amy O

May 07, 2020

I am really pleasantly surprised by the focus on the social and emotional needs and insight of the teacher in this course. As I was engaging with the materials I had so many "aha! That's what we're calling it!" moments. Thank you so much!

By Jose A d S

Sep 25, 2019

I really liked this course. It is very useful for teachers once it makes them aware of the importance of dealing with their own emotions to better connect with their students and help them develop a love of learning.

By Maria C M d S

Jun 01, 2020

This provided an immersion in who I am as a person and as a professional. A splendid, sensitive and profound course! I thank the teachers and everyone who participated in the organization of this beautiful course.

By Shabir A

Jul 27, 2020

By Alannah D

Jan 05, 2019

By Khoiri N

Jul 19, 2020

This is such brainstorming course for me to learn, I have to read, review and analyzes a lot material and that's fun. I am enjoyed this program. I hope I can see more project like this

By Synthia W

May 04, 2020

I loved the readings and videos in this program. I am grateful to be able to expand on my own well-being so that I can continue to pursue supporting the 'whole being' of my students.

By Stuart C

Mar 18, 2019

Simply superb. Excellent readings that provide a glimpse into several beautiful minds who have thought deeply about the experience of being a teacher. Powerful and trans formative.

By asha p

May 25, 2018

There is a lot of material here that I need to read and re-read. I do not feel that I have completed a course...I think this is just the beginning of a whole new cycle. Thank you:)

By Muhammad G

Mar 11, 2018

Great insights on a much neglected or marginalized aspect of social and emotional learning that is centered on the teacher as the corner stone of a healthy educational environment.

By Marc T

Jun 03, 2020

This is a great initiation to the SEL specialization. It covers an integral part which is the teacher's own well being that allows them to engage in SEL with their students.

By Catherine N

May 07, 2020

This course really helped me to step back and view teaching and myself as a teacher in a new lens. I have enjoyed learning about SEL in teaching and ultimately the teacher.

By Ali W H

Mar 05, 2020

From the first week this course has changed my mentality not only as a possible teacher but also as a human being, thanks to :

University of Colorado Boulder

Coursera

By Neelam Y B

Jun 01, 2020

Very helpful and easy to understand. Videos and learning recordings are very helpful. Thank you for all the support. Look ahead for more learnings and insights.

By Martha R M

Jun 26, 2018

I loved it, it´s helping me with my own way of teaching and beeing a mother (I´m learning what I want my daughter to have in her life) and what really matters