Back to The Cycle: Management of Successful Arts and Cultural Organizations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Cycle: Management of Successful Arts and Cultural Organizations by University of Maryland, College Park

What makes a successful arts and cultural organization? Led by DeVos Institute Chairman Michael M. Kaiser and President Brett Egan, this course will introduce you to a management theory called the Cycle which supports thriving arts and cultural organizations. Learning from our work with managers from over 80 countries around the world, the DeVos Institute developed the Cycle as a simple, but powerful tool to assist managers in their effort to respond to an increasingly complex environment and propel their institutions to excellence. The Cycle explains how great art and strong marketing can create a family of supporters, who in turn help the organization produce the revenue required to support even more great art the next year. The Institute has seen the Cycle work in performing and presenting organizations, as well as museums, arts schools, and other nonprofit endeavors like service organizations, historical societies, public libraries, university programs, advocacy organizations, botanical gardens, and zoos. By taking this course, you will learn: • the importance of bold, exciting, and mission-driven programming in an organization; • how long-term artistic planning can help an organization produce this work; • how an organization can aggressively market that programming and the institution behind it to develop a family of supporters - including ticket buyers, board members, donors, trustees and volunteers; • how an organization can cultivate and steward this family to build a healthy base of earned and contributed income; and • how an organization can reinvest that income into increasingly ambitious programming year after year. All course material is available upon enrollment for self-paced learners. New scheduled sessions begin each month. For more information about the DeVos Institute's work, visit www.DeVosInstitute.umd.edu....

RV

May 20, 2018

The Cycle was an eye-opener in many ways. I always thought Arts Management required more artistic intuition than management knowledge, but this framework gave me a whole new perspective.

Sep 02, 2018

This course is really useful for people related to Art and Culture Management fields, it provides with useful techniques and ideas, particularly regarding marketing and fundraising.

1 - 25 of 66 Reviews for The Cycle: Management of Successful Arts and Cultural Organizations

By MD. R A

Feb 04, 2019

By Megan C S

Apr 09, 2019

This course was insightful, inspiring and enlightening. I look forward to applying all of the tools that I have now obtained in The Cycle to enhance my practices in Arts Management. I highly recommend this course to anyone working in the arts industry!

By Sara M

Feb 18, 2019

I recommend it to anyone interested in building a career in cultural non-profit organization!

By Danielle F G

Feb 19, 2019

I really enjoyed the setup of this course. From the short videos to the the reading and assignments. Everything felt as though it was setup with the success of the student in mind.

By Margaret S

Jan 13, 2019

The most important class you can take if working for a not-for-profit institution

By Dana A

Dec 23, 2017

Whether you're a newbie or a seasoned administrator, you can't go wrong by investing in this course.

By Silvia C O

Apr 14, 2017

Highly recommended.

By Kyra H

Jun 29, 2017

This course provides insight and skills that can be applied to any arts organisation immediately. Highly recommended.

By Meredeth S

Apr 16, 2018

Excellent. We are a small but mighty museum that needs long range planning. We are going to use the Cycle as the foundation. Thank you, thank you.

By Raymond S

Jun 16, 2017

A fantastic course for any person who is looking to expand on or take their first dive into arts management.

By Gary F M

Jan 09, 2017

Very important ground work, for further study. Invaluable!

By Kelly C

Apr 07, 2017

Truly enjoyed this class and the topics covered. Being an Arts Administrator I found it extremely interesting to read and learn about other organizations.

By Maria J R

May 29, 2017

Super enriching!

By Molly G

May 27, 2017

Fantastic! I would recommend this to all arts managers.

By Hasmik M

Apr 01, 2017

A wonderful Course! I learnt a lot and I will implement all the elements into my organisation's strategy.

Hasmik Movsisian, Music of Armenia.

By Fusi O

Apr 12, 2018

Very solid course... changed my approach with planning and delivering an arts programme

By Peter W

May 29, 2017

So much food for thought and many take-aways!

By Maeghan G

Feb 16, 2018

Excellent , organized, and engaging!

By Priscilla B

Feb 26, 2018

This is a fabulous course, interesting to listen to, engaging, informative.

I can't wait to take the next one!

By Sharon O

Mar 31, 2018

Absolutely insightful and relevant! Michael has such great delivery and really breaks down the elements of The Cycle fantastically. As someone who doesn't write reviews at all, I have to say that this course is definitely worth taking if you're into the arts and wish to add, or reinforce, structure to your venture.

By Grażyna S

Jan 06, 2018

Great course :)

By Jessica E H

Feb 20, 2017

This course was incredibly informative. The resources provided were amazing and thorough. I enjoyed the pacing of time of when assignment were due, worked with my schedule. It was great that if you fell a bit behind, you could catch up. I enjoyed all of the organizations that talked about their experiences implementing the cycle. Just overall a wonderful course! Thank you very much for putting this together!

By Dana V

Feb 19, 2017

So appreciative of opportunities like this, available online for prospective arts administrators to learn about. Being someone who has read all of Michael Kaiser's books, this was a great opportunity to hear him discuss everything he's written and become known for in the arts world. Thank you to coursera.org for having this opportunity available!

By Marco F

Mar 31, 2018

It was a useful course to understand the filed of the arts with another perspective.

By Roberto E B G

Jun 25, 2018

This course was eye opening. I recommend to get (and read) the book because there's precious content in there.Even if in Sicily is really difficult to implement most of the concepts illustrated throughout the course I found myself, as I offer marketing services for some art organizations, realizing many of the problems described in the course. So many "a ha!" moments.The hardest part is to get the organization well... organized. Sometimes I just avoid to get too involved because frequently they want to get me on the board and risk to lost them as clients... so embarrassing.Together to my marketing business I also run a small art studio/workshop and having this precious knowledge on my toolbox is at times, illuminating.Thanks a lot for such a great course.