Back to Tricky American English Pronunciation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Tricky American English Pronunciation by University of California, Irvine

In this course, you’ll practice the sounds of American English that might sometimes be confusing. You'll practice both consonant and vowel sounds. You’ll also learn about the things that give English its special “music,” such as how to stress the right syllable in a word, how to make your voice go up and down in a natural-sounding melody, and how to naturally connect sounds and words. Learning these things will help you speak more clearly and make sure that others can understand what you're saying. This course is useful for English language learners who want to improve pronunciation of American English for better communication. Note that access to all of the lectures and handouts are free to anyone, but the graded assignments and quizzes are only available in the paid version of the course. You will need to submit recordings of your own pronunciation for graded assignments....

FF

Apr 27, 2020

the tutors were explained all subject clearly to us, non boring and easily understood. thankyou for helping us, i'm gonna practice more so i could improve my english pronounciation in the future.

PY

Apr 22, 2020

They helped and taught me about American Englsih Pronunciation correctly which made me improves myself and encourage to speak out much more.\n\nThank you so much for a good course from Coursera.

1 - 25 of 528 Reviews for Tricky American English Pronunciation

By Carlos D

Nov 05, 2017

If English is not you native language, you can benefit enormously from this course, specially if you have been speaking English for a long time.

By Mahmoud S K

Mar 02, 2019

very good course. It helped me improve my pronunciation with clear tips.

I recommend it for everyone who wants to learn the English language

By Nayara S

Mar 25, 2019

Muito proveitoso! Nunca pensei que entenderia professores nativos falando tudo em inglês, são bastante didáticos, o curso é maravilhoso. indiquei para muitos amigos, pena não poder, no momento, poder pagar para ter um certificado e participar dos testes. maravilhoso! Quem puder faça que não se arrependerá.

By Mayar M

Aug 24, 2017

I really recommend this course for all who want to improve their English skills.

it was exciting.I am really enjoyed this course.

Coursera is the best.

By Fernando H U

Apr 28, 2017

Just finished the free mode course. This course is really great. I was expecting a lot from it, and I am very surprised it exceeded my expectations.

By Punnapop Y

Apr 22, 2020

Thank you so much for a good course from Coursera.

By Siwar B

May 07, 2020

the course is wonderful it makes you aware why does the American English sound the way it does

the course will improve your pronunciation skills and enhance them

Take it, it's worth it

By JUSTIN M A

Apr 21, 2020

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the opportunity to learn the American English Pronunciation. To Coursera thank you for this opportunity.

Regards,

Justin

By Anupama S

Dec 04, 2019

I'm so glad that you designed this course. Very Very much helpful. Thanks

I love studying on Coursera Community and recommend this to all.

By Amal H M

Jan 14, 2018

it is very helpful, i usfuled very much for this course and i liked the way to explain. i advice any one to take this course.

By PUNIT K P

Apr 14, 2020

I liked the course very much because it mainly focusses on improving your pronunciation through the word stress and where to give more stress while speaking a word, how many syllables in a word and which syllable should be stressed more, the up-down rhythm of intonation and the sounds and linking of the words and consonants.

The faculty is very helpful in this their tips of improving sounds and for improving the sound of TH words that are very helpful. so I am very lucky that I had an opportunity to learn from the best faculty and to enroll in this course.

THANK YOU ALL THE FACULTY MEMBERS AND THE STAFF

By Ian

Jun 21, 2020

For me, I think this is the best course for ESL students because the instructors here are not boring and they explained every topic very well. Although, I already knew some topics and tips discussed here. I still like this course, because it helped me to practice my pronunciation.

By Fatma F

Apr 27, 2020

By Wimonrat L

Jun 05, 2020

I like this course! The teachers have taught me a lot about pronunciation. You need to try this. Moreover, I think it would be great if we also got the score from the teachers or AI.

Apr 21, 2020

If you already speak English at a fairly basic level, then this program is not for you. This program caters to people interested in learning English with a little to no fundamental knowledge of the language. While the course is called "Tricky American English Pronunciation," the content does not cover words that are written in a manner that a non-speaker would mistaken during their pronunciation. As a reader, there are times where I comprehend a particular word but would not link the word to a particular pronunciation due to a lack of verbal communication. Words such as 'epitome,' or 'colonel,' would be better categorized as "tricky," as opposed to introducing colloquial terms such as 'gotta,' or 'wantsa.' The main complaint I have with this course is the actual pronunciation of the lessons. I am uncertain whether it is the sound quality of the audio files or whether the person recording is unable to pronounce the words they're supposed to be demonstrating. The sound bits are often nasally and contains an accent different to what a native speaker would sound like. The program does not appear to have an unenroll feature either, but that may be due to the ongoing promotion for the price of the program.

By Lan Đ

Jun 21, 2020

I got very good experience improving my English with this course. Very excited to take more! Btw its my first certificate from Coursera, very happy now. So many thanks!

By Jael T

Jun 21, 2017

I really liked all the information presented, but I wished the "Q and A" sessions with the Irving profs had been longer. They were so short and I never felt like they completely expanded on anything. A full quarter of each video was spent introducing the profs, who I had met in the other videos! I thought they had fantastic tips and advice, and I wished you had made them longer. :-)

By Akram T B

Apr 26, 2020

I think this is a good class for beginners or people with pronunciation difficulties. not that helpful for more advanced learners though. so it depends on your level of mastery of the language.

By MOHAMAD H E Z

Jul 12, 2018

I like this course because it helps you with the speaking skill, which needs practical practicing in the real learning but it worked online!. I also liked that I had to record my self and that give my an overview on my pronunciation problems. I wish the course had focused on more topics and had other ways in the activities.

By Dr. G S R

Jul 25, 2017

Really a wonderful course and I picked up few interesting things like how helpful an innocuous looking technique of "shadowing a speech" can be, connected speech nuances, musicality element of speech, prosodic components etc etc.

MCQ assignments were really complementing the course content coverage and really brought in some challenging set of questions. At the same time though i felt some where those audio assignments were a tad easy to do, but no complaints about the overall content. This is my 4th course with UCI and I must say they have a wonderfulllllllll team and above all COURSERA I love you a lot..... May all success come to Coursera all the time...

By Cherneta T

Jul 06, 2020

Tricky American English Pronunciation course is worth both its theoretical and practical sides. Shadowing a conversation method is a great way to improve English Pronunciation, speaking skills, linking, reduction, intonation etc. Thanks a lot to Tricky American English Pronunciation teachers and team!Tricky American English Pronunciation course is worth both its theoretical and practical sides. Shadowing a conversation method is a great way to improve English Pronunciation, speaking skills, linking, reduction, intonation etc. Thanks a lot to Tricky American English Pronunciation teachers and Coursera team!

By Kaliakbarova Y

Jun 01, 2020

Linguistics, languages are very interesting, but I am a chemistry teacher, a little different thinking, in each new knowledge I find a certain structure, I had to change myself somewhere in pronunciation, perception of words by ear, I really liked the course. I discovered a lot of new things for myself, my attitude to the English language changed, and I began to listen to the pronunciation of words better. Thank you very much, I'm thinking of going back to language courses!

By Amit S

Jul 30, 2020

One of the best courses to learn about American English Pronunciation. The course syllabus was managed in a certain way that will set you up on a path of your own if you want to learn more about pronunciation after you complete this course. I didn't feel bored for a single moment while listening to videos and the instructors have dumbed down the lessons so it's easy to grasp for anyone. I am really thankful to everyone related to this course and especially the instructors.

By Letícia M S

This course was beyond my expectations! It definitely ain't easy for you to finish. The practice parts take patience and resilience but it totally worths it! Also, it helped me a lot in this quarantine due COVID-19. I can totally see myself after all this pandemic seeking for a better job, with my certificate. Thank you so much to the teachers and UCI for approving my financial aid. I don't take this for granted! Much love for this course, teachers and university!

By Bach H P

Jun 13, 2020

I find this course really helpful. It explains the nuances of pronunciation sounds very effectively. I have certainly gained more knowledge on American English pronunciation thanks to this course. I especially like shadowing exercises. For an ESL learner like me, it is a good way to introduce intonation with this type of exercise. All aspects of pronunciation including stress, intonation,... are covered well