Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

SA

Feb 01, 2020

All the instructors were very knowledgeable and used lots of real life examples to explain the theory. They were also kind of funny and turned a "stiff" topic into a lively and fascinating story.

401 - 425 of 548 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

Jun 07, 2016

Nice.

By WADHAH A M H A

Jan 25, 2018

Good

By Fábio C F J

Feb 13, 2019

Feb 29, 2016

G

By Mohamed K I A E

Jul 01, 2016

This course helped me a lot to better understand the financial markets , and the different assets in which we can invest. The presentation was simple and clear in most of the modules. Maybe more examples and detailed description needed in company evaluation especially for students with moderate mathematical background. The module of Bonds needs -in my opinion - reconstruction so that we can read and understand the changes in Bonds' prices we find in the economical websites and newspapers. Anyway, the course is motivating to know more & extend our knowledge. Thanks a lot to all the professors and lecturers who prepared that course. Special thanks to Dr. Michelle and Dr. Ines for their attractive and simple approach. I recommend this course to all interested in investment management either for themselves or for professional purposes.

By Steve A

Mar 06, 2016

Generally this is a good course. It has a good bit of definitions about markets. As an individual investor I picked up some information on Net Present Value pricing of stock. Now that the courses are not free we have to determine does the cost provide the value for me. I think of the specializations as being one semester of schooling. A general semester last 16 weeks and thus one specialization last 4 months with a capstone project, so about 20 weeks. Total cost of the specialization is roughly equivalent to one semester class at most Colleges. The advantage to the current layout of learning is that it puts the information into a structured timeline. This places time limits on the info which has a tendency to keep me moving toward the goal.