Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

426 - 450 of 504 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Mark K

Apr 08, 2018

Good fundamentals. Yield curve discussion in lecture 4 was complicated. Introduction to '4 Pillars of Investing by Bernstein' very good

By Vedika M

Aug 06, 2017

The best thing about this course is that there are some interesting questions in between and that makes you interest level very high and hence easy to focus and learn

By Jaiwant N A

Mar 10, 2016

Very good!

By Philip M

Feb 18, 2018

Simple and easy to understand with practi

By Ray

Apr 11, 2016

Very clear on the points he is teaching, and good humor.

By BHARATH M B

Sep 13, 2016

plain and simple(course content)! I found assignments were very simple , wish increasing in level of difficulty.Modules for reading should be made compulsory.I completed this course in three days.why the hell it needs 4 weeks?There should be serious look at assignments as they are the core part and key measure of understanding and passing should be in terms of questions not percent and there should be increase in number of questions.

By Benjamin D A

Aug 28, 2016

Very good indeed from a beginner's perspective. I would recommend it.

By Athuliya V S

Sep 27, 2017

Very Good

By Mohamed K I A E

Jul 01, 2016

This course helped me a lot to better understand the financial markets , and the different assets in which we can invest. The presentation was simple and clear in most of the modules. Maybe more examples and detailed description needed in company evaluation especially for students with moderate mathematical background. The module of Bonds needs -in my opinion - reconstruction so that we can read and understand the changes in Bonds' prices we find in the economical websites and newspapers. Anyway, the course is motivating to know more & extend our knowledge. Thanks a lot to all the professors and lecturers who prepared that course. Special thanks to Dr. Michelle and Dr. Ines for their attractive and simple approach. I recommend this course to all interested in investment management either for themselves or for professional purposes.

By Jochen S

Oct 13, 2016

The course offered a good repetition of some major concepts and from time to time I also gained some new insights.

For 4 weeks only, however, 70 EUR is rather expensive compared to some other courses offered by Coursera.

By Chandani P

Dec 07, 2017

A good wholesome understanding of financial markets. Though I think practical application is something missing in the course.

By Abhishek S

Aug 25, 2016

Superb.. This is a perfect course to start with investment management and also a review to the graduates.

By Irene S

Nov 30, 2016

First time for me to study MOOC. I learned a lot but there are still concepts I have a hard time grasping.

By Atul C

Jan 22, 2018

Good and simple foundation building in Financial Markets, on some very interesting topics. Michael it is a pleasure to listen to you and all the analogise that you . A

By Sarath M

May 31, 2017

Nice Course

By Poloko M

Apr 14, 2016

I enjoyed the course very much wish here was more interaction with staff though

By Samson P

Apr 10, 2016

Easy understanding the basic concept of Financial Market.

By Cindy M

Aug 06, 2017

I had been a bit leery of taking this course because I feared a language barrier, but all of the instructors so far have spoken English very clearly. The information is well presented, although I sometimes find the graphs with the inverted scale on the right hand side confusing at first. I would recommend this class to others who are interested in getting the basics of how financial markets work.

By Sam F

May 30, 2017

Solid introduction to concepts in portfolio management

By Usama Q

Mar 04, 2018

Some modules seemed a bit vague during explanation.

By Rahul D

Aug 02, 2017

This is good course for beginners in financial market.....

By Mohamad Y

Mar 02, 2018

The videos of UBS Lecturers aren't that beneficial. Professor Ines wasn't that beneficial and she didn't deliver her concepts in a simple way. I liked Mr. Michel and his way of delivering his ideas. I liked the graphs and the correlations from the inverted time scale on the right.I liked the big mac PPP and the visual aids he used.Finally the last part of module 4 had too many information that can be delivered better by giving a quiz about it and to give time for each topic separately.

I enjoyed this course so much and I would recommend it for my friends

By Eden P

Sep 19, 2017

Very insightful and easy to follow. Nice introduction to financial markets for the non-financially qualified.

By Lars M

Oct 26, 2017

"Understanding financial markets" is a perfect description of what this course is about. If you have a basic knowledge about financial markets already, it may be somewhat easy. Still a perfect way to get started.

By Daniel G

Nov 07, 2017

Very good an brief summary of the markets and easily explained