Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

426 - 450 of 490 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Irene S

Nov 30, 2016

First time for me to study MOOC. I learned a lot but there are still concepts I have a hard time grasping.

By Atul C

Jan 22, 2018

Good and simple foundation building in Financial Markets, on some very interesting topics. Michael it is a pleasure to listen to you and all the analogise that you . A

By Sarath M

May 31, 2017

Nice Course

By Poloko M

Apr 14, 2016

I enjoyed the course very much wish here was more interaction with staff though

By Samson P

Apr 10, 2016

Easy understanding the basic concept of Financial Market.

By Cindy M

Aug 06, 2017

I had been a bit leery of taking this course because I feared a language barrier, but all of the instructors so far have spoken English very clearly. The information is well presented, although I sometimes find the graphs with the inverted scale on the right hand side confusing at first. I would recommend this class to others who are interested in getting the basics of how financial markets work.

By Sam F

May 30, 2017

Solid introduction to concepts in portfolio management

By Usama Q

Mar 04, 2018

Some modules seemed a bit vague during explanation.

By Rahul D

Aug 02, 2017

This is good course for beginners in financial market.....

By Mohamad Y

Mar 02, 2018

The videos of UBS Lecturers aren't that beneficial. Professor Ines wasn't that beneficial and she didn't deliver her concepts in a simple way. I liked Mr. Michel and his way of delivering his ideas. I liked the graphs and the correlations from the inverted time scale on the right.I liked the big mac PPP and the visual aids he used.Finally the last part of module 4 had too many information that can be delivered better by giving a quiz about it and to give time for each topic separately.

I enjoyed this course so much and I would recommend it for my friends

By Eden P

Sep 19, 2017

Very insightful and easy to follow. Nice introduction to financial markets for the non-financially qualified.

By Lars M

Oct 26, 2017

"Understanding financial markets" is a perfect description of what this course is about. If you have a basic knowledge about financial markets already, it may be somewhat easy. Still a perfect way to get started.

By Daniel G

Nov 07, 2017

Very good an brief summary of the markets and easily explained

By Alonso J M M

Jul 01, 2017

Really nice course, perfect to start an understanding on how financial markets work.

By Chris C

Apr 23, 2018

This was a great introduction into financial markets and monetary policy. It was exactly as advertised, and am happy with my selection

By Petros T

Sep 18, 2017

Great introduction to complex issues. Professor is great!

By David H

Jan 04, 2018

Very good course in terms of materials and delivery. Good combination of academic content and commercial input. Assessments were generally good although I might quibble occasionally with some of the official answers.

By Swanand K

Aug 02, 2018

I like the lectures delivered by "Michel Girardin", very thoughful & practical in nature. While some other lectures delivered by other faculty members seems to be more of reading the presentation points.

By axel

Aug 10, 2018

a great course, great professors. but there is a lack of technical explanation like NPV etc'

By Hari K K

Jul 22, 2018

It was said to be the basic foundation knowledge for the financial markets. But I guess person without prior knowledge of Finance will face lots of difficulty to understand the course. Even the first module of this specialization was harder for a business student like me too.

By paulogalindo5000@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2018

I learned different and interesting topics, but for me was difficult.

By Shankaranand M

Feb 25, 2016

Well structured course. The graphs used to highlight the key relationships of various variables is insightful.

By Sivakumar N

Mar 21, 2016

the course could have been enhanced to be more rigorous.

By Kunal N

Apr 17, 2017

I have been looking to get into finance for a long time now but couldnt find something as flexible as this course. The concepts taught here are very simplified and are easy to understand. Overall it has been very fruitful and i am looking forward to complete the specialization.

By Santiago M G

Feb 28, 2016

It lacks exercises but other than that this course is pretty fun and interesting. I would definitely recommend it.