Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

451 - 475 of 509 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Mohamad Y

Mar 02, 2018

The videos of UBS Lecturers aren't that beneficial. Professor Ines wasn't that beneficial and she didn't deliver her concepts in a simple way. I liked Mr. Michel and his way of delivering his ideas. I liked the graphs and the correlations from the inverted time scale on the right.I liked the big mac PPP and the visual aids he used.Finally the last part of module 4 had too many information that can be delivered better by giving a quiz about it and to give time for each topic separately.

I enjoyed this course so much and I would recommend it for my friends

By Joao p G d A

Jul 31, 2018

Very good course. It would be nice if the lecturer could present some numeric examples of the impact of prices with the change of interest rates considering the duration of the portfolio.

By PRAVEEN K T

May 02, 2019

The course is very good and fun to study

By Waqar K

Jun 25, 2019

The course is very well versed an in detail. A good catch up for those who wants to enhance their knowledge of Financial Markets and looking forward to invest in the market.

By Peter H

Jun 30, 2019

really good mix of videos, text and quiz. This course is easy to understand for beginners and well structured. Big compliment form my side. I am glad to have made this course!

By José L Á E

Jul 31, 2019

This course has really good content for those who are interested in acquiring a keen understanding of the financial markets.

By Shashank V M

Aug 18, 2019

Great course. However, some basics concepts were not explained and Michel should have taken examples and taught the concepts, rather than just teaching the theory with confusing graph diagrams.

By Aditya R N

Sep 02, 2019

Well explained and structured.

By Harsh G

Dec 09, 2019

Amazing course. I had no financial background and had come to this course with just curiosity, but now I am leaving with good financial knowledge

By Jiashun X

Nov 20, 2019

Solid knowledge and provide essential fundamental elements for beginners, which is very helpful for anyone who does not possess a background in investment.

By Mohamed K I A E

Jul 01, 2016

This course helped me a lot to better understand the financial markets , and the different assets in which we can invest. The presentation was simple and clear in most of the modules. Maybe more examples and detailed description needed in company evaluation especially for students with moderate mathematical background. The module of Bonds needs -in my opinion - reconstruction so that we can read and understand the changes in Bonds' prices we find in the economical websites and newspapers. Anyway, the course is motivating to know more & extend our knowledge. Thanks a lot to all the professors and lecturers who prepared that course. Special thanks to Dr. Michelle and Dr. Ines for their attractive and simple approach. I recommend this course to all interested in investment management either for themselves or for professional purposes.

By Chris C

Apr 23, 2018

This was a great introduction into financial markets and monetary policy. It was exactly as advertised, and am happy with my selection

By Antariksh A

Jul 03, 2017

Professors teach nicely and made every point very clear. Course outline will really help if one is studying to be in investment management .

By Maria K

Aug 19, 2016

It's very informative course, though it suggests that a person who signed up for this possesses/ should possess some basic knowledge in finance. So it takes time to actually understand understanding financial markets. All the rest, it's quite interesting course and rather simple and real-life examples

By Asif B S

Apr 21, 2016

It was a good one for basic learners but there were less explanation on several topics

By Sivakumar N

Mar 21, 2016

the course could have been enhanced to be more rigorous.

By Irene S

Nov 30, 2016

First time for me to study MOOC. I learned a lot but there are still concepts I have a hard time grasping.

By Athuliya V S

Sep 27, 2017

Very Good

By Raguru J K

Oct 22, 2019

Elaborately discussed about most of the Market strategies and provided insights in to Markets, Bonds, Equities and their relationships with Central banks in a precise manner.

By Chandani P

Dec 07, 2017

A good wholesome understanding of financial markets. Though I think practical application is something missing in the course.

By Atul C

Jan 22, 2018

Good and simple foundation building in Financial Markets, on some very interesting topics. Michael it is a pleasure to listen to you and all the analogise that you . A

By paulogalindo5000@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2018

I learned different and interesting topics, but for me was difficult.

By Setsuya S

Oct 31, 2016

Useful introductioin

By Varun S

Sep 10, 2017

Good

By Krista T

May 02, 2018

Concise and fairly simple introduction (or review, if you are familiar with the topics) into financial markets. Establishes macroeconomy - financial markets linkages well. Background knowledge of topics is useful in understanding issues such as inflation and interest rates. Not mathematically heavy, but good content for a short course such as this one.