Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

326 - 350 of 490 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Dimitrios C

Aug 30, 2018

Very nice introductory course on financial markets. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to enhance their understanding on financial markets

By nicolas m

Nov 05, 2018

excellent

By Qianwen O

Jul 13, 2018

Very interesting, and great content, eager to finish the whole specialization. :)

By VISHAL P M

Jul 15, 2018

I followed this course in order to developed my professional skills.And It was great experience learning with these course.

By Marco C

Jul 15, 2018

Lessons very interesting. It gave me a good overall of what are the financial market.

By Erjon

May 01, 2019

I enjoyed every minute of this course. The course is structured perfectly and the professors are very professional and the best i have ever had the pleaser to listen to.

By Mohamed H

Apr 20, 2019

very easy to understand

By Thomas H

Mar 31, 2019

This course has been absolutely exceptional. In being my first experience with Coursera, I have been extremely satisfied with the content of the course, the approach and teaching methods of the lecturers and the platform itself. I will definitely continue studying and increase my knowledge with Coursera!

By T. V

Apr 28, 2019

The course gives a comprehensive overview of financial markets including bonds, equities, real estate, gold, emerging markets and hedge funds. It also covers key drivers of financial markets such as inflation, central bank policy, foreign currencies and business cycles. It covers key basic concepts in finance such as bond yield, duration, market valuation, discounted cash flows, net present value and purchase power parity. Michel is a brilliant teacher with a sense of humor! The only improvement point would be to add videos about the time value of money and giving more of an introduction before jumping into valuation of equities!

By Tamara L

Apr 14, 2019

I learned a lot from this course. It was more that what I expected. I am very satisfied and grateful for having this opportunity. I strongly recommend this course.

By Julio O S D J

Apr 04, 2019

Very good, instructions are very clear and the explanations are well based

By Nadim K

Apr 10, 2019

Excellent course. If there is one thing I'd recommend you do, it is to keep updating the examples and data used. Some of the data used in the course I just took were from 2013. But this does not impact on the usefulness of the course--just distracts from the fact that what we are learning was applicable as much in 2013 as it is now. I have spent 30 years assessing investments for Official Development Assistance (ODA) sources of funding or public sector funding...I needed a course just like this (and more like this) to get on the steep learning curve for understanding and hopefully designing investments using private sector, bonds and "blended" sources of funding. Thank you.

By Spencer M

Mar 30, 2019

Among other things, it helped me understand how to properly assess the value of bonds vs equities, assessing the value of securities across global markets, and showed me the role Central Banks play in managing the economy.

By Priya A M

Mar 31, 2019

This was a well-planned well-delivered course. I really enjoyed all the lectures, especially Prof. Girardin's lectures.

By Loretta W

May 15, 2019

it's very practical and i've learned a lot here

By Alexandru B

May 25, 2019

Concepts were well covered and explained in an easy to understand way. Additional optional readings felt relevant and the assessments were fair. I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in financial markets.

By John L

May 19, 2019

Great course.

By Cameron D K

May 26, 2019

Great course. Well organized topics. The instructors are top notch.

By Evan B

May 20, 2019

The instructors present many concrete examples for highly conceptual material. This approach makes learning and extrapolating easy. I recommend the course without reservation.

By MENGZHU Y

May 19, 2019

The introduction about financial markets is very useful for me who begin to study finance and banking, the methods is easy acceptable for a new one. I like the quiz among the lessons, they are beneficial for me to check the concepts and knowledge.

By Vitor W R d O

May 31, 2019

Amazing course. Michel is an excellent Macro-Finance lecturer.

By CHIRAG M

Jun 01, 2019

This course is phenomenal and easy to understand. The only difficult part is the Module 4. All the knowledge provided under this course is practical and can be implemented immediately.

By Panagiotis D

Jun 05, 2019

Covers pretty much all the basics. The material is organized and presented in an efficient manner.

By George K

Jun 09, 2019

I really enjoyed it, good learning experience.