Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Understanding Financial Markets, University of Geneva

About this Course

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

By MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

By AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

411 Reviews

By Ekaterina Chaltseva

Jan 15, 2019

Simple, direct, and geared at beginners. I understood more taking this course than I did after a semester in university.

By Saptarshi Das

Jan 06, 2019

No doubt that the profs were amazing communicators with root level knowledge and experience. I particularly liked Professor Michel Girardin for his interesting, humorous and innovative ways of explaining stuff! Overall a brilliant experience learning financial markets. I highly recommend this. Thank you Coursera!

By Hoang Anh NGUYEN

Jan 05, 2019

Great course

By cemberk

Dec 31, 2018

Too macro

By Mukesh Arora

Dec 25, 2018

Dr. Michel has an extremely intuitive and easy way to explain complex topics. Highly recommend even if you have been working in financial industry for a number of years.

By Aidan van Niekerk

Dec 20, 2018

Very informative and somehow succeeds in covering many important topics in investments and finance within a relatively small workload.

By SUTHAKHAR PONNAMBALAM

Dec 10, 2018

It was a great course for beginners like me. Professor Michel was fabulous with his explanations and examples. Looking forward for the second part of the specialization.

By José Francisco Abril de Vivero Vidalón

Dec 05, 2018

This course give me a solid general view of financial markets.

By Isaac Hans

Dec 05, 2018

Excellent coarse! Highly recommended!

By Kamal Ailani

Dec 02, 2018

Great Course, I learnt many things. This course gives us insights of broad level economics also.