Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

SA

Feb 01, 2020

All the instructors were very knowledgeable and used lots of real life examples to explain the theory. They were also kind of funny and turned a "stiff" topic into a lively and fascinating story.

1 - 25 of 670 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Alexey K

Sep 04, 2016

Not happy about the course. Very very general information. This can be obtained through any internet reading and doesn't require a purchase of the course. 79 dollars is not peanuts for many countries. The lecturers often refer to the videos which are not part of this course. Examples: PPP valuation has not been part of lectures, but is referred to. Maturity and duration of the bond comparison with the glass of water is referred to, but was not part of the course. For the money - we are getting some shorter version of a bigger course. Not satisfied at all. Just finished all the tests and passed, but not happy. Do not recommend to anyone and surely will not buy the next course.

By Mark C

Jul 17, 2017

By William M

Aug 15, 2016

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Very well thought out and presented in an informative and very engaging manner. Brought to life many subjects I was aware of but lacked in depth understanding.

By Collin S F

Mar 06, 2016

I am disappointed in the quality of the lectures in this course. They're too summarized -- too quick-- and they lack the thoroughness required to accurately convey the intuition the student needs to comprehend the lessons taught. When I have to spend a significant number of hours watching lectures on YouTube to compensate for the poor quality lectures offered in "Understand Financial Markets", I am left wondering why I enrolled in the specialization. I think Coursera needs to have a conversation with the professors at Geneva University about the need for prerequisites before allowing students to enroll in this specialization.

By Vladislav B

May 17, 2016

Inconsistent course content, presenters hop between topics, complete lack of definitions, absense of content structure. Moreover, the presentation style is very boring. One thing is for sure - avoid attending finance at university of Geneva by all costs.

By Ariel H

Jul 21, 2016

Beware - will make you upgrade to complete quizzes (and pay) - should definitely be much more upfront about this from the beginning.

Seems like very poor tactics on their behalf.

By Miona B

Mar 26, 2016

I finally understand all the basics about Bonds and Equities and how they react to changes in markets. Great course for all people who are interested in financial markets and their functioning.

By Teo W X

Oct 28, 2016

The course is nicely paced throughout the four weeks. Love that the videos / content are "bite-sized" making it eas to digest admist a busy work schedule. Looking forward to the next course!

By Antonio F

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets

P.S:The professors are AMAZING!

By Tom S

Nov 19, 2016

Course was taught by people who gave no indication they had ever bought a security. They read flatly from the teleprompter and rarely looked at their audience. Very disconcerting and not conducive to trusting what is being said.

By tayfun t

Feb 16, 2019

Very disappointed by this course. Concepts are explained very poorly, pop-up questions in the videos are a joke.

By Kushal B

Mar 25, 2016

The teachers are really great!

So far I have studied, I have found that the teachers have worked hard to present the course beautifully and lucidly. Dr. Michel Girardin is just awesome.

I liked an earlier course by the University of Geneva (International Organization Management) - which I completed with distinction. I'm enjoying this course very much, as well.

I'm not from the finance background, rather from a completely different field - Medicine. These are probably my first true lessons in finance. Really great.

By profession, I'm a teacher (junior faculty) and I try to make the classes enjoyable for the medical students here. In this course, my additional gain is to experience the art of teaching - I was amazed by the walking lecture by Dr. Michel Girardin.

Thank you very much, respected teachers.

Thanks a lot to the University of Geneva and to Coursera.

By Nadim K

Apr 10, 2019

Excellent course. If there is one thing I'd recommend you do, it is to keep updating the examples and data used. Some of the data used in the course I just took were from 2013. But this does not impact on the usefulness of the course--just distracts from the fact that what we are learning was applicable as much in 2013 as it is now. I have spent 30 years assessing investments for Official Development Assistance (ODA) sources of funding or public sector funding...I needed a course just like this (and more like this) to get on the steep learning curve for understanding and hopefully designing investments using private sector, bonds and "blended" sources of funding. Thank you.

By Hong z

May 01, 2020

I've been really very satisfied by the course. I've chosen this course for the willing of start to understand financial instruments and products to help management of personal weath and I must say that the course has fulfilled in a very excellente way my expectation. And I've enjoyed specially the teaching art of Prof. Michelle who is so good at explain in very clear and simplified way the concepts that otherwise would seem rother complicated.

I spent the quaranteen days for coronaviurs by increasing my personal acknowledgement and that's the best time and money spent - thanks a lot the Coursera platform, I will recomand it to friends for sure.

By Marita B

Feb 29, 2020

A fantastic course,thank you very much for this opportunity! This course creates the foundation for the very basics of financial markets and builds up on it gradually in a smooth way and in small chunks which are easy to understand. In the past I had exposure to the sector and read many articles in financial websites and analysis, however always found myself researching one bit or the other to fully grasp the meaning. Through this course I have a much better understanding. I found it very enjoyable both in delivery and in the helpful notes which come in really handy when following the lectures. Looking forward to more. Thank you!

By T. V

Apr 28, 2019

The course gives a comprehensive overview of financial markets including bonds, equities, real estate, gold, emerging markets and hedge funds. It also covers key drivers of financial markets such as inflation, central bank policy, foreign currencies and business cycles. It covers key basic concepts in finance such as bond yield, duration, market valuation, discounted cash flows, net present value and purchase power parity. Michel is a brilliant teacher with a sense of humor! The only improvement point would be to add videos about the time value of money and giving more of an introduction before jumping into valuation of equities!

By Dimitri C

May 13, 2016

This specialization is great! I really enjoyed discovering the basics of financial markets through the internet, it's a (not so) new way of learning, and it was completely adapted to my learning methodology. This way of teaching and transmitting informations is very intuitive, so you don't get all the inconvenient of a normal class. But my opinion might be biased, as I am currently studying Economics at the University of Geneva, and therefore Dr. Girardin Is my teacher every week!

It's strange to see your teacher face to face Monday morning, and later on your computer when studying!

Can't wait to complete the next ones!

By Tsotne K

May 07, 2020

The only thing that I did not like is exams when you fail and try again, questions remain the same, it makes it easier to pass and makes the certificate look less appreciated for others comparing to other certificates issued not online. On the other hand, some of your clients won't like if they won't pass and exams will be more hard for them, but if you think it could raise demand because the ivy league universities are most wanted because it is considered very hard to pass exams and graduate, so it makes you look unique or really educated. Otherwise, the course was really good! Thank you!

By valur b

Aug 19, 2016

This was a fantastic course that give the student a good understanding of the concepts in which asset investors use on a daily basis. Michel is in my opinion a world class lecturer in which he explains topics so clearly and in few words. Its very obvious he loves what he does and is very good at it. I would recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in financial markets and plans to take an active role in managing the assets they own; whether it be cash in the bank, the house you live in, your retirement fund or your child's college fund.

By Melanie A

Aug 02, 2016

Fantastic course. Videos are clear, informative, have a good mix of theoretical and real-world examples and Michel Girardin (one of the lecturers) has really good, original examples to explain concepts and also keep one entertained (online courses with hours of financial theory can be tough in this regard sometimes!). Also, the video content is interspersed with mini quizzes (generally not graded) which help keep your attention and test learning. Overall very, very pleased - definitely the best online course I've taken in years.

By 向灿

Aug 12, 2018

Very concise course in fundamental financial markets, absolutely suitable for beginners. The workload of one week is reasonably low, most of videos are 10 minutes or so, sometimes slides goes maybe a little fast for beginners but you can always pause to have a better look at the slides. I like Michel the most, he is very well prepared with the materials and sometimes he will surprise you with some "experiments", and of course he will always amuse you by his charming smile.

By Tushar T

May 08, 2020

Exceeded all expectations that I had. I really felt like I learnt several things of value from this course, and am honestly surprised by the quality of the content itself, as well as its delivery. Definitely do recommend this to anyone who is considering looking for basic or beginner's course in finance. Oh, and Professor Michel Girardin is an absolute pleasure to listen to. He truly enhances the learning experience.

By Ts. C K L

Feb 21, 2016

I like this course very much , it provides us some introduction to the financial market. I completed this course on 15 February 2016. Highly recommended !

One the other hand, I feel proud because this is the first batch of this course offering and specifically related to investment management specialization. I'm committed to follow this specialization until completing the capstone project.

Thank you very much.

Chan

By ARVIND K S

Mar 18, 2019

Excellent course to start learning portfolio management. Very high on concepts such as asset classes, alternative asset classes, hedge funds management, valuations, learning from clients, emerging markets etc. Lays a strong foundation for the other courses in the specialization. Lectures by UBS executives have a strong practical content. Would have liked it to be a little more quantitative, though.

By mohamed g a

Oct 29, 2018

In fact, no matter how much I search my head for words that express my happiness I can not find those words, but I want to say that dreams are beautiful and achieved in reality is difficult but it is not impossible. Today I got a certificate bearing the name of this university which I have always wished to visit. And study in it and you all the appreciation and respect for your wonderful effort