Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

176 - 200 of 509 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Kushal B

Mar 25, 2016

The teachers are really great!

So far I have studied, I have found that the teachers have worked hard to present the course beautifully and lucidly. Dr. Michel Girardin is just awesome.

I liked an earlier course by the University of Geneva (International Organization Management) - which I completed with distinction. I'm enjoying this course very much, as well.

I'm not from the finance background, rather from a completely different field - Medicine. These are probably my first true lessons in finance. Really great.

By profession, I'm a teacher (junior faculty) and I try to make the classes enjoyable for the medical students here. In this course, my additional gain is to experience the art of teaching - I was amazed by the walking lecture by Dr. Michel Girardin.

Thank you very much, respected teachers.

Thanks a lot to the University of Geneva and to Coursera.

By John K Y

Jun 22, 2016

Great learning experience!!

By Venkatesh N

Feb 20, 2016

Great lectures,

Great Lecturers,

Great Guest Talks,

Great way to start with the ABC of markets

By Paul W

Jul 10, 2016

This course has increased my knowledge about the economy and especially about emerging markets and bonds. Thank you for this great course!

By ANOUTHANONG X

Jul 16, 2017

it is a good course to create the awareness and specific skills and techniques to the investment

By Sabine K

Oct 31, 2017

good course on basics of bond and equity markets, incl link with monetary policy and macroeconomic state.

By sandeep b

Jun 15, 2016

it's awesome to be a part of this course

By Artak H

Oct 09, 2016

Very good course !!!

By David K

Aug 28, 2017

Very good introduction to Financial Markets and the economic instruments that dictate market conditions/environments. This a solid introductory framework that is necessary before getting more involved with complex investment vehicles. The class has excellent supplemental readings as well.

By Duke N

Sep 02, 2016

Very informative course

By Devang S

Jun 18, 2017

Enriching experience. Kudos to the teachers for making the session very interesting and lively. :)

By Nkemjika U

Jun 17, 2017

The lecturers did a fine job breaking down the course and making it really easy to understand. I totally enjoyed the course.

By Mohamed M M A A

Jan 07, 2018

good course

By Samuel G

Jul 24, 2017

Great introductory course that gets you hungry for more!

By Fernando d M F

Sep 29, 2017

I understood better how all these groups of actions and investments and positioning of the country with companies to the world works

By Harsh M

Jan 13, 2018

I am new in finance stream. So i don't know about so much. But There I learned so many thighs. How..... I am too surprised that and now i feel, I know.... Ya I know finance and I can also think my future in investment management. So thank you COURSERA team for giving me chance to learn by University Of Geneva's professor.

By Venkatesh A

Jan 15, 2018

As a beginner into world of finance, find this module completely intriguing, informative and a peek through of what generally is what. Moving onto to module two for more learning :)

By Renato F G d A

Jul 12, 2016

Excellent course!!! I am very very very satisfied with the quality of the faculty - great teachers! - and the overall quality of your staff. Enfin, I feel very glad and gratified with this opportunity. :)

By Phuong N

Aug 24, 2017

Wonderful course. I can consume basic concepts with eases and i am confident to move on. Thanks!

By Beáta Z

Sep 05, 2016

Great course, interesting topics, understandable explanations. Highly recommend.

By Matteo E

Jun 19, 2017

Great course. Introductory, well structured, simple and clear for a beginner to grasp important financial basics.

By Kim J

Aug 10, 2016

Great course with good instructors.

By bwendelele d

Jul 30, 2017

Good teachers and very interesting lesson

By Ahmed H A M

Dec 20, 2016

Very handy and purposive

By Niklas B

Nov 30, 2016

Great course for someone who does not know anything or very little about the financial markets.