Back to Understanding User Needs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding User Needs by University of Michigan

Designing effective interactive systems requires understanding the needs and capabilities of the people who will be using them. In this UX course we will focus on how to interact with users (or potential users) to understand what they need, what they currently do, what they love and hate, and examine human capabilities and behavior as they relate to UX design. Learners will be introduced to numerous techniques to gather data from and about users. This course is part of the User Experience (UX) Research and Design specialization offered on Coursera. What you'll learn: Find out what user needs assessments are, what qualitative research is, and how the two are related. Learn an end-to-end methodology for qualitative research that is suited for understanding user needs. The methodology includes knowledge of semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls. Be exposed to good practices for conducting semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls. Gain some experience with semi-structured interviews, in-situ observations, and affinity walls....

JC

Oct 29, 2019

Interesting lectures and fun projects. I feel I learned a lot of useful info about conducting preliminary UX research with users.

WS

Jul 17, 2019

I really like this lecturer, he gives lots of good examples and analogies for the principles taught in this course. Well done.

1 - 22 of 22 Reviews for Understanding User Needs

By Anelia S

Feb 13, 2019

Although it's quite intensive, the course is super important for anybody who wants to get better in this area of knowledge. 100% Recommendable.

By Amber W

Apr 03, 2019

Learned a lot about user research, user needs assessment, interviewing, data extraction. It was more challenging than the first course in the specialization. I’ll definitely need to continue learning about this topic. Great instructor and lectures.

By Ari R

Apr 21, 2019

The topic was interesting and I learnt a lot of new things. i wish that it was designed to be a little more exciting and engaging.

By Eber S

Jan 29, 2019

Excelente curso

By Liubov Z

Feb 24, 2019

Very useful course

By Joaco O

Jun 03, 2019

Overall great course. Would recommend.

By Bo L

Jun 10, 2019

Great hands-on practice!

By William S

Jul 17, 2019

By Teaghan I

Aug 02, 2019

Great class! The project was super helpful

By shrooksalah

Dec 03, 2019

very good course and chance to practice

By Jessica C

By Daria M

Oct 29, 2019

I would really recommend this course if you are new in this field and wants to try how to be a UX researcher and try to conduct a real interview. The course designed to motivate you and it really works.

By Balu K

Nov 10, 2019

Thank you very much for creating this course .

By LISA Y

Oct 11, 2019

very good

By Yixin Z

Oct 16, 2019

good course with great instructor and assignments to learn user reaserch

By Juangui J

Jan 10, 2019

This was an excellent course. The professor is very good and the assignments are well balanced and practical. I think that I learned very useful skills that I already have put in practice in my day to day work as a frontend developer.

By Carlos J B A

Mar 08, 2019

A rewarding experience because I have been able to learn very valuable information. It is an excellent course. It has helped me in the personal and professional field. Thank you.

By Irma M T

Aug 27, 2019

I learn value skills to apply in the design field.

By A C

Oct 24, 2019

This was a great class. I think the instructor is very thorough, and the assignments give you a great hands-on opportunity to practice one of the most popular methodologies for gathering user needs data. Furthermore, I appreciated the final assignment, where we were asked to condense the data further into a small report and propose design solutions from the information we compiled.

If you put in the work for this course, I do think you will gain a valuable skill from it. I recommend!

By Rhandy M

Aug 20, 2019

It was a very valuable course

By Ahmed S

Apr 26, 2019

the course covers all the aspects around user interviews. but still, many other methods can be used for understanding user needs

By Daniel M C

Sep 24, 2019

I had very high expectations about this course. Although the skills and knowledge acquired are very relevant to me and I find them useful, there are several things I didn't like about the course.

First, it seemed like there were unexplained gaps in the information acquisition; at some point I was trained to carry out an observation protocol implicitly assuming that it had already been designed, but the observation protocol design was never introduced. It feels like some content was missing from the course. Then, I tried to report it in the discussion forums about "Issues with materials", but never received a reply. I think that the instructors should be attentive to this forum at least, as it is the only way they can receive real-time feedback from the students with these issues.

Nevertheless, I liked taking the course and doing the activities, and I think they'll be very useful for my professional development.