Back to Understanding User Needs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding User Needs by University of Michigan

Designing effective interactive systems requires understanding the needs and capabilities of the people who will be using them. In this UX course we will focus on how to interact with users (or potential users) to understand what they need, what they currently do, what they love and hate, and examine human capabilities and behavior as they relate to UX design. Learners will be introduced to numerous techniques to gather data from and about users. This course is part of the User Experience (UX) Research and Design specialization offered on Coursera. What you'll learn: Find out what user needs assessments are, what qualitative research is, and how the two are related. Learn an end-to-end methodology for qualitative research that is suited for understanding user needs. The methodology includes knowledge of semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls. Be exposed to good practices for conducting semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls. Gain some experience with semi-structured interviews, in-situ observations, and affinity walls....

TJ
Jul 9, 2020

I really enjoyed this class and felt it was a great start to learning how to conduct user research. The professor, Kentaro Toyama, is also a fantastic teacher even with teaching via recorded video.

MV
Oct 11, 2020

This course has really exceeded my expectations, each of the exercises that are raised lead you to a complete understanding of the strategies to follow to understand the needs of the user.

26 - 50 of 82 Reviews for Understanding User Needs

By Jessica C

Oct 29, 2019

Interesting lectures and fun projects. I feel I learned a lot of useful info about conducting preliminary UX research with users.

By Ili S

Apr 6, 2020

I absolutely recommend this course. Brilliant professor and excellent exercises, the right mixture between theory and practice!

By William S

Jul 17, 2019

I really like this lecturer, he gives lots of good examples and analogies for the principles taught in this course. Well done.

By Perla G C

Jun 29, 2020

It helped me understand and develop the skills of investigation, obesrvacion and report writing, as well as the person model.

By Bernadette A M

Feb 16, 2020

Excellent course. I really learned a lot about evaluating UX design through information acquired by interviewing users.

By Unnati P

Aug 15, 2020

Found this course very interesting and gained valuable skills which can be applied to multiple subjects of inquiry.

By Sonakshi

Jun 8, 2020

The teacher is great. The hands on practical assignment are a must do it really helps in deeper understanding.

By Jennifer G

Apr 7, 2020

Great class; really learned about interviewing and qualitative research! Great instructor and helpful videos.

By Juan C C M

Jan 23, 2020

Loved this course. I applied the assessment activities directly on my work projects and they really worked.

By Maria S

Feb 29, 2020

Very good introductory course on semi-structured interviews. observations and analysis of qualitative data

By Ha I P

Sep 4, 2020

Wonderful! the lectures are well put together, and the projects are informative and fun as well :)

By D'Andra M

Aug 30, 2020

I loved Professor Toyamo! He kept it interesting and the affinity wall project was pretty cool

By Meng-Chun H

Aug 3, 2020

A practical and useful course which well integrates methodology with a hands-on project.

By Adam W

Feb 26, 2021

I enjoyed this course. It gave me the skills to begin developing my first case studies!

By Madalyn T

Nov 4, 2020

This is a great course! The instructor is engaging and clearly communicates ideas.

By ROBERTO P G

Apr 21, 2021

FANTASTIC COURSE WITH HELPFUL MATERIAL AND REALLY EXPLAINATORY VIDEOS, LOVED IT

By Đurđa S

Sep 28, 2020

I enjoyed this course so much. The professor is great and I have learned a lot.

By Darus H

Aug 5, 2020

This course very excellent to studying and dive into user experience research.

By Michelle P

Aug 17, 2020

This was a great experience creating a user interview and report of findings.

By Yixin Z

Oct 16, 2019

good course with great instructor and assignments to learn user reaserch

By Athena P

Jun 1, 2020

I found this course very useful to gain some practical knowledge

By Yoseph T

Apr 20, 2020

I really like the instructor and the course was well structured.

By Joey G

Feb 22, 2021

Great course! Excellent projects and well prestented!

By Peiwen L

Dec 23, 2020

With practical assignment, I enjoy this course a lot!

By Raul d F d S S

Aug 13, 2020

Certainly this course will help me on my current Job.