Back to Foundations of Virtual Instruction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Virtual Instruction by University of California, Irvine

4.1

This course provides teachers with the foundation for understanding the movement towards virtual instruction. It introduces fundamental knowledge needed by teachers to succeed in a technology-dependent, instructional environment. You will explore the history of online learning and understand how a variety of delivery models are evolving in the K-12 environment, ranging from completely online to hybrid or blended classrooms. We will discuss how the programs work and who they serve, addressing some basics about equity issues, access and school funding, as well as ethical and legal issues that support and challenge the models. Upon completion of the course, you will understand what it takes to transition from teaching in the classroom to providing virtual instruction. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Describe the history of online learning models 2. Identify current virtual instruction models and who offers them 3. Explain how virtual instruction models have evolved and why 4. Describe common features of synchronous and asynchronous technologies 5. Discuss basic ethical and legal issues faced by schools...

JH

Jan 19, 2018

Excepcional, debido a que toda la secuencia de la aplicación y el desarrollo de la educación virtual, impregna los profesores y estudiantes en un universo de excitación y deseo de aprender. Gracias

AB

May 28, 2019

This course introduced me to the world of Virtual Teaching, gave me awareness of online tools, and inspired me to continue developing as a professional.

1 - 25 of 57 Reviews for Foundations of Virtual Instruction

By Nairi I

Jul 12, 2019

Pros:

-Mostly good content & learned things I wasn't sure about (Ex: copyright)

-Teacher is relatable

-Too much broad information

Cons:

-Too much emphasis on K-12 and not Higher Ed

-Not enough app recommendations and pedagogical tips/examples for online teaching; not enough demos

- Some important links in resources referred to in the site don't work or have been archived

- Some technical difficulties (I am unable to see feedback for my assignment even though it says "see feedback below")

By Amanda B

May 28, 2019

By Osia M

Apr 04, 2019

very resourceful!

By ravi c

Feb 25, 2019

good course, very flexible use to browse and understand. quite a motivating for online teacher. easy to implement also.

By Catherine B

Feb 23, 2019

This helped me see where the lines are. I used to get things all muddled. I still do a little. I am excited at how much I'm learning.

By Valentina A R C

Feb 14, 2019

I learned a lot with the videos and articles, but many links are not working, and some virtual tools are obsolete.

By Angela M

Feb 04, 2019

Very informative and would recommend

By Mohamed S

Jan 14, 2019

The foundation is nicely laid to anyone even for those who have got no prior knowledge of virtual / online learning. I enjoyed it!

By Muhammad i

Jan 03, 2019

This course is very informative about online learning methodology.i like it much and gain huge amount of knowledge.Thanks

By Joel V

Jan 01, 2019

I find the video a little old-fashion and the supporting material hard to navigate.

Content however was great, at the exception that it is no so easier to apply to non US-audeince

By Renee A

Dec 28, 2018

This course was useful but many of the resources were missing and the forums did not work.

By Sheetal P

Nov 03, 2018

there is one challenging assignment at the end of week 3 which required application of knowledge gathered so far in the course. However, there should be scope for more such assignments and inclusion of 'Student Forum' or a 'Discussion Board' within the course for the learners to interact with the instructor and the other co-learners taking course simultaneously with me. I have experienced the usefulness of such a Discussion forum available in the other course offered by Coursera.

By July A B M

Oct 30, 2018

Perfect course to start with. Great basis to keep building the knowledge of a decent Virtual Teacher.

By Tracey J K

Oct 27, 2018

Content seems dated and the forums and interactive activities were not available which is ironic since the course emphasizes the importance of interactivity in online learning. Videos were very basic and at times PowerPoint slides seemed incomplete. Nonetheless, lots of valuable information necessary for the courses that follow in the series.

By Yurgenis R

Sep 17, 2018

This course has a poor method to teach, the instructor (People that speak) sometimes is difficult to understand her and talk very fast and in many cases I don't know of what is she talking. I'm really disappointed

By Julie M

Sep 13, 2018

I'd been teaching online for twenty years (you could call me an early adopter) and I still gained a range of methods and resources from this course. The instructor, I would say, is a master teacher in this modality.

By Dinesh L A

Sep 11, 2018

Great course with great course material.

By Eleanor C

Aug 09, 2018

Useful tips about online learning and the peer assignment means you can see other examples of how to plan online learning, which is really helpful. However, this course is quite centred on America, including different states’ policies, funding models etc. Not so relevant for the international student. I found I had to learn that stuff for the quizzes even though I don’t need to know it otherwise.

By Sandy W Z

Jul 07, 2018

The test questions are insane. For example, a question would have 9 options, and ask us to pick out option(s) that apply. That equals 500+ possible choices!! Some questions even have 11 or 13 options; those type of questions may have well over 1000+ possible choices. It tells me that whoever designed the test questions does not understand math at all.

By RUYMARA T D A

Apr 23, 2018

It´s very useful. It´s easy to transfer the principles to real life.

By Allesandra P

Apr 11, 2018

This course has good information and direction for learning about basics of being an online instructor. Its good to consider the history of initial development and possibilities of the future growth in the field. Much appreciated and useful course material.

By Alexandre L A d S

Mar 22, 2018

yeah. it was cool. thanks

By Juan H B S

Feb 01, 2018

E

By Cristina M C M

Jan 27, 2018

Great course, a lot to learn, very detail in US educational laws and programs.

By josé c l h