Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

JN

Nov 21, 2018

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

LT

Oct 19, 2018

This course is a good start for the beginner. I hope everyone in the class enjoyed it as I do. Thanks all of my classmates who have reviewed my peers. I look forward seeing you in the next course.

1 - 25 of 326 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

By B D

Mar 04, 2019

Peer reviews is the worst. That is the worst idea, how can you allow someone that has no skill decide the outcome of someone else's grade?

By Vanessa C

Jun 18, 2019

I enjoyed the structure of the course with each week building up to the final project. Logically planned out and effective structure. Videos were clear and easy to understand. I'm happy with what I produced and the class helped me build my confidence to move onto the next course. I was able to complete my project with minimal knowledge of Photoshop.

However, I'm not a huge fan of the 3 peer grades needed to average out our score as it appeared from the comments left that some users misunderstood what and how they should be grading. Requiring a higher amount of grades to even out the average or allowing some grades to be challenged and reviewed by a staff member would be helpful.

By Dimitrios P

Sep 22, 2019

This could have been a very good course, but for the idea of peer grading. It just does not work. Most people's comments are purely subjective and come from very little knowledge, skill and/or experience. Shame!

By Andrei N

Feb 21, 2019

You teach very strange visual design. Straight out of 90s. I don't know what to say, just look at Dribbble and all the design trends happening all over the world.

By Iñaki C S

Mar 25, 2019

This is a fantastic course for anyone who wants to get started in UX/UI design. The curriculum is well thought, the lessons in the videos are well paced, clear and thorough. Finally, the proposed activities work great as a practice for the concepts learned in the course. Totally recommended!

By Rachael B

Mar 28, 2019

I liked how the course was structured in such a way that even with my limited design skills, I was able to create an interface that looked professional. I credit this to the structure of the course and the journey it takes you on to get to this point.

By Pavankumar S

Mar 15, 2019

Very useful course, Highly recommended for beginners who is going to kick start with UI/UX design. Very detailed content and explanation. Thanks for the such a wonderful course.

By Anastasia A

Aug 11, 2019

Pretty good course, I'm more excited for the UX Design one, but this part of the Specialization is quite decent. If you're considering it, go for it. Just try to learn how to use Illustrator a bit beforehand. Sucks that its peer graded- but its straightforward and if you just follow the instructions, you should be fine.

Quick tip: it was not clear what you needed to do for week 2, but its basically ONLY the moodboard and colour palette. I did week 2 and 3 in week 2, and exhausted myself for no reason!

I was skeptical at first but its pretty good!

By Karolina T

Feb 24, 2019

The content is really good.

The peer-scoring doesn't work really good though. It happened that the same work got scores varying from 1 to 3 points (in the scale of 4). The comments were not always adequate, e.g. pointing the lack of elements that were not expected to be included in the submission, calculating incorrectly the amount of pictures included. It would be interesting to know if it's controlled and standardize in any way.

By Charlotte B

May 05, 2019

I have a degree in Graphic Design so I wanted to expand in UX & UI. This course was a great price, easy to do as quick or as slow passed as I needed.

By Rafaela R

Jul 12, 2019

Really for people who doesn't have any knowledge about design and user experience.

By Aakash B

Jul 14, 2019

Does not provide any useful knowledge for improving skills. The course only talks about the basics that most of the individuals pursuing UI UX already knows.

By ogunyooye o t

Oct 17, 2019

its so interesting and i am full of hope to become a better citizen of my country and world at large...i am so happy that at the end of this course i will become a ui and ux designer.

By Rajitha G

Jun 13, 2019

This is a great kick starter course to understand the basics and really change your perspective of UI and UX. Explained in detail with great simplicity, I loved it- note taking is also made easy!

My feedback is on the assignments:The difficulty I faced was i did not know how to use Indesign (this should have been a pre-requisite)- so after my first week assignment i put in some extra hours to learn InD basics to do my second assignment- that changed the quality of my work. Second - Assignment 1 was creating mood board but the sample had full project, so I as well as couple of our batch folks (I reviewed) ended up creating whole project first week - Should have given clear instructions - That would helped us focus on Week1 work. From Week2 what do work on was very clear. Please fix this for next batch

By JanieLiu

Jan 19, 2020

A good experience of learning UI. I got to create something of my own and got inspired by others' good work. As a designer who is already familiar with design applications and principles, it only took me one day to watch all the tutorials and 1.5 days to complete the assignments. After the course, I have something presentable I can include in my portfolio and have gained confidence in this field! Thank you for this great opportunity.

By Natasha B

Dec 28, 2019

I took so many pages of notes! There is a WEALTH of information packed into this course and I am going to make it into a simple outline to use when designing. I think it will be helpful for me in the future as a reference guide in order to do my best work until I get comfortable in the process. Very knowledgeable, fun project, and other students were respectful. Turn in your work early!

By Bruno R d N

Feb 12, 2020

Escreverei em português, que é minha língua materna, especialmente para brasileiros e portugueses. Esse curso é realmente um ótimo curso introdutório. Eu não sabia bem como funcionava este sistema de educação à distância, mas posso dizer que realmente não perde em nada para cursos presenciais. É bastante prático e orientado para a prática profissional. Vale a pena!

By Ariadne R B

Oct 03, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. I love the way Michael Worthington explains everything and I love the fact that we have more videos than reading, to me it's easier to understand.

By Myroslav O

Nov 06, 2018

Very decent and applied course.

The only thing for possible improvement I can think of is the form of the requirements for the assignments. Since from the very beginning of the course you are free to choose the application idea from one of the given options, but then in the end of each week your submitted assignment has to meet some particular strict requirements (such as some fixed amounts of visual elements, buttons, etc.), maybe it makes sense to restrict options you can choose of, or to mention all the strict requirements from the very beginning of the course, because sometimes it felt like I had to intentionally complicate my application (e.g. add more visual elements that do not make much sense, but in order just to meet the required criteria set in the assignments).

All in all, thanks for a great course!

By Kelly M

May 16, 2019

Great introduction to UI design without complicating elements with UX.

By Saad K

Dec 05, 2018

The only thing I wish this course had more of was the practical side of UI/UX design. Where they show you how and what goes behind making designs, instead of only taking over theory. The theory seemed like something you would already know but I feel like they should have given more incentive to learning about key graphic design and UI/UX concepts that could be used practically.

By Milton M

Oct 26, 2019

Visual elements of the user interface design course helped me to become more comfortable with the idea of doing Ui/Ux design. I have always been doing design for printing media but now I am even considering learning more about digital design with Coursera and why not doing a master's degree in Ux design abroad. The course is complete and well structured, everything was explained in detail and the experience of learning online was friendly and easy to understand. I think that the peer grading part can be improved somehow but overall the content in terms of amount and quality of information is excellent, I am looking forward to doing the next three courses to enhance my skills as a designer.

By Marion L

Jan 06, 2020

The instructor is very precise on the words and the process articulation and manages to make them very clear through well chosen illustrative examples. I appreciate that all examples comes from very few projects, it is as if we see the different aspects and steps of the method being applied.

The teacher's enunciation makes it easy to understand even for non-English speakers. The assignments are well explained and the review is well guided so that you mostly get useful peer reviews.

It is nice to apply the concepts on a fun project, it makes them sink in and motivate you to work on the course. I'd like to develop my app project for real!

By Noman G

Mar 19, 2020

In this first course of the specialization, the students are taught the essentials of visual design. The student can geta a deep understanding of the visual design. Finally, the students have to create a project and apply their knowledge to the actual situation. Professor Michael Worthington has explained all the concepts in detail. I have learnt a lot about user Interface from this course. I would recommend this course to all who want to make their career in UX/UI designing.

By Ainura Y

Nov 14, 2018

I come from engineering background, and I was curious about the whole UI thing I've been hearing about once in a while. The course gave me essential insights into the UI area and pointed me to the sources and links where one can find useful materials. Although I've reached only 87.7/100 points I think I've mastered the assignments (well, mastered them enough while having a full-time job, for one), and I think the assignments given here are both challenging and inspiring.