Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Visual Elements of User Interface Design, California Institute of the Arts

About this Course

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

By JN

Nov 21, 2018

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

By LC

Oct 19, 2018

This course is a good start for the beginner. I hope everyone in the class enjoyed it as I do. Thanks all of my classmates who have reviewed my peers. I look forward seeing you in the next course.

40 Reviews

By Goce Petrov

Jan 18, 2019

great stuff

By Oloko Abiola

Jan 10, 2019

It was perfect, the Tutor took his time, and the assignments made it really interactive, it was worth it!

By Nikolas-Minas Sachnikas

Jan 08, 2019

Very interesting and engaging course!

By PAULO CALAZANS

Jan 07, 2019

It is being amazing to be part of this course. The classes are very structured and the content is very clear.

By Bhavana Talluri

Dec 31, 2018

Great course, which goes about explaining everything from the scratch to increasing higher levels.

By Mitchell Grant

Dec 28, 2018

A really great course.

I was a little apprehensive about the peer graded assignments as I have very little design experience but the course content is broken up into digestible pieces and good examples are provided.

By Ritesh Kapoor

Dec 27, 2018

I have been a logical person, since my life. Always loved engineering related things. This is the first time, I tried for design related stuff...! Thanks..! for letting me know, I can do it...

By margherita vacca

Dec 26, 2018

It was very useful for implementing my skills and my cv

By Nimit Dholakia

Dec 26, 2018

It was fun learning the skills on this course.

By Igor glushkin