Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

JN

Nov 21, 2018

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

BB

Apr 01, 2020

This course is very useful for a beginner who is looking for the basics of UI/UX course.\n\nThis course will give you the basic idea of interface design which very important for its advanced studies.

51 - 75 of 746 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

By Jihye C

Aug 31, 2020

I love this course to understand the overall concept of User Interface Design. The instructors are industry experts and bring their students' artworks as sample designs to help our understanding. Also, peer review as quite helpful to see other people's aspects and perspectives. I recommend this course for anyone who has interest in UI design or app design.

By Kerry F

Mar 01, 2019

I really liked the instructor in this course. He explained everything clearly and his slides were very effective. There was plenty of opportunity to be hands-on with the projects and if you take the time to really apply the concepts you are taught you will learn a lot and develop valuable skills to use in real-world projects. Great experience overall!

By Santiago C

Jun 19, 2020

Every day we interact with applications, web pages and different platforms and we never really get to recognize everything behind it and the importance of good interface design when it comes to branding. Without a doubt, I recommend this course because It changes the perspective of how the digital world is structured from the eyes of the final user.

By Andriana M

Nov 05, 2018

I thought the information was delivered in an interesting and easy to follow manner. It was both interesting, informative, and interactive. The professor was entertaining and delivered his presentations in a timely but effective way. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to understand the basics of UI and to test out their skills a bit.

By Julio A R F

May 04, 2020

A really amazing course. Very complete and well explained. My only suggestion would be switching the third week with the fourth week. I think it could be easier for some folks to first think about the structure of the app and then thinking about the button. Besides that, I loved the course, and I can't wait to continue with the specialization.

By A

Feb 14, 2019

This is a wonderful class. Excellent instruction and very constructive and supportive feedback from those rating the assignments. I have really been able to challenge myself further, and learn new aspects of the programs I'm using by working to improve assignments based on the feedback. Great community of fellow students taking this course.

By Irfan M

Sep 03, 2019

Terrific Course for any Beginner to start with Ui/Ux. I think the peer system is little bit weird because some designer are new and they don't know the basics and logic behind design right now. I think that thing should do right. Just a suggestion: It would be more great if some respectable and experienced designer rate students assignments.

By Klimova L S

Jul 10, 2020

Brilliant course! It was my first experience in UI design and design at all, but the way it was taught made it so easy! Extremely interesting and at the same time deep course. I don't regret taking it and highly recommend it! Moreover, I recommend every course of CalArts, Michael Worthington, I am your fan. Thank you for my new knowledge.

By Jodie L

Michael teaches so well, and combined with the animations of each video of good duration - not too short, not too long, it was very easy to finish it under two weeks. I recommend everybody to try!

The only thing that sucked were 'students' who would grade us 0 for no reason, I can only hope Coursera has new policies for that soon.

By Orlaith M

Aug 28, 2020

This is a great course if you are looking to start learning about UI. I found the project very enjoyable and I loved that you had to mark your peers work as part of the course. It's another way of learning. Seeing the ideas and thought processes of other people makes you more open to other pathways you may never have thought of.

By Satenik G

Mar 01, 2019

I highly recommend this course for the people who do not know what is UI design 'cause it gives basic knowledge of it. You may learn basics of Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator or InDesign programms as well by preparing your own project during the course. The lector is awesome! Thank you for the course! I enjoyed it!!!!

By Krasnikova E

Feb 07, 2020

Great course for those who are starting. Shows how interface work in design. Gives understanding of UX and UI. Review of classmates homework is nice thing which let you know more about how others people understand the topic and also get some inspiration and learn from others. Most important you get real practice.

By Harsha V

I've tried to participate and started few online UX courses. But I do have problem with language, explanation and understanding the content with other tutors. But this, CalArts course is a pure bliss to me. This is the perfect stop for any learner who chooses to start career in UI/UX. I coudn't ask any more.

By Moses S O

Dec 10, 2019

So far I am reallu enjoying the course. Its exposing me to the world of UI/UX. The course user-friendly interface is indeed a true testiment to having expert UI/UX Designers in its formulation stage. I say kudos! to team behind this lovely and well thought-out course. I highly recommend it.

By LiPa

Aug 30, 2019

This course is very good, the exercises are really practical to understand the content. I think the process of reviewing other colleagues' work is interesting, but I miss having feedback from a teacher or professional. I believe we could have a tutor / instructor to give one of the assessments.

By Matthew F

Jan 22, 2020

Great course, very interesting and the instructor has a passion for this stuff and knows how to communicate it. I have never experienced this topic before and wanted to gain a working understanding of it - after this course I feel better prepared but there is clearly alot more to be learned.

By Aryan J

May 03, 2020

It's a very great experience for the learning but I need help as my name change is not reflected in the certificate I have earned. I need the help of respected authorities to tackle this issue or If I have to attend the course I can even do so.whatever option is best, Please let me know

By Annalise J

Jul 08, 2019

Loved this course! Great instructors and material. This is a solid choice for anyone with a Graphic Design background or degree looking to transition into UI/UX design. I would recommend having Graphic Design and Adobe Photoshop+Illustrator experience before beginning this course.

By Christina

Nov 03, 2019

Good course, the example of perfectly organized information and easy study process. Informative and easy to understand videos and other materials, external links and advices. Quick support on forums is also a valuable thing. Thanks a lot to CalArt members who created this course.

By Herosimo S N

Jun 17, 2020

This course is well-structured. Roman as the instructor gave us good practice from his experience as a professional web designer in his studio. I really recommend you to join with this course, and the course after this one, since its one big part to create whole web design.

By Arpit R

Apr 30, 2020

A very well constructed course focuses on the visual elements of user interface design. Instructors are very good and the overall content is very simple and informative. The simplicity yet informative is the USP of this module. Must do for all UI UX beginners. All the best.

By Rutvi M

Sep 11, 2020

The most interesting coursera courses that I had opted for! The videos were extremely comprehensive and the assignments were quite fun to execute and do. Got to learn loads that genuinely helped me learn and explore as an aspiring communication designer! Thankyou!!

By R J

Jan 01, 2020

I had a brief understanding about UI Design before this course, and then this course really brought it home for me. I felt like the courses and the teachings were great and breaking down the basics of what you need to think about when creating UI Designs. Thanks!

By Ridkous M

May 02, 2020

The course provided general information in terms of UI Design. It was a captivating experience where I received basic knowledge, besides, I would like to find out more about really good design on some examples from real websites or apps covered in this course.

By Jaqueline K C

Aug 14, 2019

A great course for those looking to start their UX / UI career. The theoretical and practical are well structured. I was pleased with the course because it added so much to my day-to-day work. The information is clear and easy to understand. Really very good.