Getting a job as a data analyst is the first step in what could be a larger data career. So what happens after you become a data analyst? Let’s take a closer look at four common career paths you can take once you get started in this high-demand field.
If you’re new to the field of data analysis, your first job might be an entry-level role as a junior analyst. If you have some experience with transferable analytical skills from a previous job, you may be able to get hired as a data analyst. Before applying for that first job, you’ll want to develop some core data analyst skills, including SQL, R or Python, data management, statistical analysis, and data visualization.
As you gain experience as a data analyst, you may encounter opportunities to advance your career in a few different directions. Depending on your goals and interests, you may progress into data science, management, consulting, or a more specialized data role.
Many data scientists start out as data analysts. Making this transition typically involves advancing your programming skills, learning more advanced mathematics, developing an understanding of machine learning.
Many data scientists also have a degree in data science, computer science, or a related field. While a degree may not be strictly necessary, having one can mean more job opportunities.
Another common career path for data analysts is to move into management positions. You might start out as a data analyst before advancing to senior-level analyst, analytics manager, director of analytics, or even chief data officer (CDO).
If you’re interested in pursuing this path, you’ll want to focus on developing your leadership skills alongside your data skills. In some companies, a master’s degree in data analytics or business administration with a focus on data analytics might be required to attain these higher-level positions.
As a data analyst, you might work in one of many different industries. Sometimes, your career path might take you deeper into the specialized knowledge of that industry. Some common data analysis specialist job titles include:
Business analysts use data to help make an organization’s IT processes, organizational structures, or staff development more efficient and effective.
Financial analysts use data to help guide investment opportunities, identify revenue opportunities, and mitigate financial risk.
Operations analysts are tasked with optimizing a company’s performance by identifying and solving technical, structural, and procedural issues.
Marketing analysts, also called market research analysts, analyze market trends to help determine product and service offerings, price points, and target customers.
Systems analysts use cost-benefit analysis to help match technological solutions to company needs.
Healthcare analysts use data from health records, cost reports, and patient surveys to help providers improve their quality of care.
Once you’ve gained several years of experience analyzing data for a company (or several different companies), you can consider working as a data analytics consultant. Instead of working for a company directly, you’d work as a freelance contractor or for a consulting firm, conducting analysis for a variety of clients.
Working as a consultant often means more variety in the type of analysis you’re performing, as well as greater flexibility (particularly if you’re self-employed).
Even entry-level data analyst positions tend to be well-paid. As you add years of experience and advanced job titles, salaries often go up accordingly. Here’s a quick look at the average base pay of different data analyst roles in the US, according to Glassdoor:
Junior analyst: $50,512 
Data analyst: $66,834 
Senior data analyst: $93,149 
Analytics manager: $116,613 
Director of analytics: $140,776 
Chief data officer (CDO): $184,932 
Data scientist: $113,376 
Business analyst: $73,908 
Financial analyst: $70,964 
Operations analyst: $58,800 
Marketing analyst: $62,054 
Systems analyst: $73,770 
Healthcare analyst: $71,377 
Data analyst consultant: $64,200 
Take the first step toward a career in data analytics with the Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate from Coursera. Build job-ready skills in less than six months, no previous experience or degree required. Upon completion, you’ll have a shareable certificate for your resume, as well as the ability to start applying for jobs directly with Google and more than 130 other US employers.
1. Glassdoor. "Junior Data Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/junior-data-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,19.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
2. Glassdoor. "Data Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/data-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,12.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
3. Glassdoor. "Senior Data Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/senior-data-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,19.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
4. Glassdoor. "Analytics Manager Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/analytics-manager-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
5. Glassdoor. "Director Analytics Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/director-analytics-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
6. Glassdoor. "Chief Data Officer Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/chief-data-officer-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
7. Glassdoor. "Data Scientist Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/data-scientist-salary-SRCH_KO0,14.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
8. Glassdoor. "Business Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/business-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,16.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
9. Glassdoor. "Financial Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/financial-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
10. Glassdoor. "Operations Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/operations-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
11. Glassdoor. "Marketing Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/marketing-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
12. Glassdoor. "Systems Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/systems-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,15.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
13. Glassdoor. "Healthcare Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/healthcare-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.
14. Glassdoor. "Data Analyst Salaries, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/data-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,12.htm." Accessed April 12, 2021.