Back to The Addicted Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Addicted Brain by Emory University

This is a course about addiction to drugs and other behaviors. It will describe what happens in the brain and how this information helps us deal with and overcome addiction. It will also discuss other topics such as government policy and our vulnerability to take drugs....

CP

Apr 02, 2018

I learned a lot from this course that I have been able to use in a ministry capacity. If you are trying to help others with addiction or understand it for yourself, this is the course for you.

AN

Mar 30, 2017

This course is truly wonderful, many intellectual mind-opening surprises... for example I almost fell out of my chair when I learned of vaccinations development effort to counter addiction.

1 - 25 of 330 Reviews for The Addicted Brain

By Anna K

Jun 09, 2019

Too slow, not enough visual material, not well structured. Shallow, whole program could be packed down to just 3 lectures.

By Dmytro D

Jun 28, 2018

have seen a few first lectures re definitions of additions, drugs etc. Not particularly impressive - it didn't seem to be based on the current scientific evidence in the domain to me, so not too encouraging to continue. de-enrolling.

By Renate G

Feb 17, 2018

A lot of prejustice in the way teacher is explaining. I think this course is aiming for addicted students.

By Maher K

Jan 05, 2019

A really good course! It is wide in scope with good depth of the data presented yet is done in a simple and non-complicated way .Relevant literature and refernces were also intorduced which I appreciated .I do recommend it to all my collegues at the clinic where I work !

By Sofia L G S

Dec 24, 2018

Lectures are very easy to follow and covers a lot of information. The extra reading suggested is very useful and helps to understant drugs and their consequiences. I think this course is interesting enough to get deeper into every topic mentioned.

By Giorgia B

Jan 11, 2019

This a Complete Course, as I was expecting it to be in my best hopes and much more. It covers all sides and shadows of drugs and addiction and analyse the phenomenon a very deep but comprehensible way, even in the most scientific lessons.

By Matthew N M

Aug 18, 2015

Excellent and interesting course on a very important topic. Very professional production and high quality lectures. It was quite easy, apart from the brain chemistry sections.

By Ibrahim K M

Dec 12, 2018

the questions are not very serious

By fernando g u

May 24, 2019

Buen curso.

By Mary J N C

Mar 21, 2017

The Addicted Brain provided me the foundation to have the conviction to be at the frontier of a community owned initiative to help the Philippines War on Drugs. The Harm Reduction Principle is the applied principle with Magnesium Mineral as agent for detoxification to address SAWS. As a Naturopath Doctor, I have been using Minerals in treating variety of ailments of my patients. Among these minerals is an End Stage Renal Failure case for dialysis which was cleared "NO DIALYSIS NEEDED" by his Physician after his Minerals Therapy. Others are symptoms of Substance Abuse Withdrawal Syndrome due to other health conditions such as Insomnia, Depression, Involuntary Muscle Movement, Muscles Pain, Anxiety, Brain Fog, Pins and Needles, and others.

The Addicted Brain Course is a must course for those who are working in the field of Drug Addiction.

By azadeh e

Nov 01, 2015

well, since i got stocked with my university homework, i couldn't get the chance to finish this course as i was expecting to. but, definitely i would like to let you know that this has been an amazing journey for me, an ADHD who is obligated to be on ritalin so that the society gets comfortable around me. although it never made me feel better about myself, but it made people around me to stop complaining about my energy. after all, i am still an addict to this pill, but at the end, thanks to Emory University guys, i succeeded to know my body and what it goes through when i tend to not be ADHD. i have never got to reach the treatment parts, but at least i'm going to give a lecture on the side effects of ritalin in university.

at the end, thanks, for letting us know. that was the best gift ever :)

By Dr.Sujatha N

May 08, 2017

The course is excellent and conveys all that needs to be conveyed in short modules that are simple and at the same time explanatory.

There is an option of treatment for addiction to alcohol and drug use wherein completely stopping the substance is achieved through an in house residential treatment that is absolutely voluntary and that incorporates along with Counseling, various Meditation techniques that have proven to be psychotherapeutic along with introspective writing ; wherein family counseling and therapy is given equal importance . all this in a non judgemental accepting loving luxurious environs. Please visit www.anatta.in

Thank you !

Dr.Sujatha Nair

By carmen l

Oct 21, 2015

The course gives you a new vision in several ways, some of them: the addictions are related to alterations in brain function given by neurotrasmamisores as is more chronic drug use in the brain damage is reflected in general. Another very important point policy to reduce the harm allows an opportunity for these people, not only reduces the social and personal costs, but overall health, so too for drug courts. And the work to avoid .estigma for people addicted.

I was invited to read and study about it, and learn more. Thank you very much to all the team at Coursera, congratulations to Dr. Michel H.

By Licia R

Feb 16, 2016

I recently graduated with an MSW. I concentrated my course load on children and found addiction knowledge to be lacking upon graduation. Too many families are affected by addiction and in good conscience I couldn't work with children and their families without learning more. This was extremely helpful and the course gave me more passion and knowledge concerning children and addiction in terms of vulnerability, prevention, risk and protective factors. The instructor was wonderful, non-judgmental and very informative. I loved the neurobiology explanations as well. Thank you!!!

By xiaobozhou

Feb 13, 2016

This course is very helpful. I have kept learning this course and completed the quiz. It helps me understand the mechanism of the addiction, what is dopamine and how it works, the class of the illicit drugs, the animal self-administration model and what can I learn from the animal experiment, the vulnerability for addiction, and risk and protective factors of addiction, neuroimaging studies of addiction. Most of all, I have a better understanding of addiction. The pronunciation of the Professor is so clear and helps me to improve my English. Thanks very much. I enjoy it.

By Maria W

Aug 19, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. This has given me plenty of material to discuss with friends and family regarding the effects of drug use, not just through description of symptoms, but also being able to describe how drugs affect neurotransmission in the brain. I have a few friends who have struggled with addiction and this has not only opened up an avenue for me to speak to them about addiction but also helped me understand why they continue to relapse into drug and alcohol abuse. Thank you very much for this course - I learned so much!

By Juste E M

Oct 31, 2018

Woaao i, MALANDILA Juste Elysée confirm you that this course has been amazing, but our wonderful lecture made it possible by his obvious teaching skills. I have learn so much about news good concepts, i have deepen my insight of the addicted brain and most important Complete my Qualification as a MASTER's Degree holder in Fundamentale & Applied Toxicology" & Biochemistry (BSc)....So guys for those who are interested " I Strogngly invite you to benefit & maybe change your perceptive of the ADDICTED BRAIN & more....

By Taiki K

May 06, 2017

A general introductory course on the biological basis of drug addiction. It is very well-explained, with supporting graphs and animations, which facilitate the understanding of the phisiological mechanisms. At the same time, the lectures raise thought-provoking questions and encourage the student to continue exploring many different areas of research around the vast world of drug addiction at a biological, personal, or social level. Fascinating and instructive.

By Emma C M P

Sep 02, 2019

¡Muy completo! Aprendí cosas que ignoraba por completo, incluyendo aquellas que parecen obvias. Me di cuenta de que, si yo no estaba enterada de cosas que van desde lo sencillo hasta algo más complejo, quienes no están interesados en conocer a fondo el tema de las drogas están más propensos a distintos y mayores riesgos debido a la falta de información. Creo que es importante que todos estemos informados al respecto, sin importar si las consumimos o no.

By Justin D

Oct 23, 2015

This course was beyond informative. I too have been exposed to those afflicted by addiction and am to deal with it on a daily basis with those whom are in life even now. The information taught in an "Easy To Learn" manner by Dr. Kuhar was incredible. I now understand the functioning of an "Addicts" brain much more thoroughly. I'm grateful this course was a presentation in which I was honored to be able to be a participant.

By Paul B

Oct 07, 2015

An extreamly interesting and enlightening course. The instructor, professor Kuhar, is an incredible lecturer with very pleasurable voice and amicable attitude. The topics of drugs and addiction is discussed on many levels, from phisiology to societal changes. I would certainly recommend this course to anyone who wish to better understand the problem of addiction because of either personal reasons or academic interest.

By Helen F

Sep 25, 2015

The individual course topics were evenly distributed and presented in a meticulous, thorough, as well as elaborate manner. The lecturer was inviting and encouraging, whereas the technical specifications of the video lectures and quizzes were exceptionally good. In overall, the ''Addicted Brain'' course positively predisposes me towards opting for more courses provided and sponsored by the Emory University.

By Rae J H

Nov 02, 2017

This course taught me the intricacies of our brains and drug use. As an addict it was very informative and it helped in my decision to quit abusing drugs and to be clean and sober. As of the date of this review, I have been sober for 2 years. Thank you for offering this course and for granting me financial aid to pay for the course. Coursera has helped to turn my life around in a positive way.

By Filipa A M R

Sep 09, 2015

As a trainee lawyer I found this course quite good and helpful.

In Portugal we have a lot of drug issues. Knowing how drug addiction works in the human brain might be helpful, especially on court, where some individuals are convicted for drug issues when, sometimes, it's not only their choice.

Thank you for the course. I hope there are more courses available for this kind of issues.

By Gita E

Jul 05, 2019

This course is amazing and well-taught by a wonderful emeritus professor. As someone interning at the ER from 7-5 PM every weekday, the course load for this course is not unbearable. I was able to complete at least 4-5 videos every day while at the ER. Now that I have completed the course, I have a better understanding of how addiction precautions can be applied at the ER.