Back to The Addicted Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Addicted Brain by Emory University

This is a course about addiction to drugs and other behaviors. It will describe what happens in the brain and how this information helps us deal with and overcome addiction. It will also discuss other topics such as government policy and our vulnerability to take drugs....

CP

Apr 02, 2018

I learned a lot from this course that I have been able to use in a ministry capacity. If you are trying to help others with addiction or understand it for yourself, this is the course for you.

AN

Mar 30, 2017

This course is truly wonderful, many intellectual mind-opening surprises... for example I almost fell out of my chair when I learned of vaccinations development effort to counter addiction.

226 - 250 of 330 Reviews for The Addicted Brain

Oct 09, 2015

L

By Corina M

Oct 18, 2019

Overall, it covers good topics for an introductory course on addition, accessible and interesting. I do have two major feedback remarks: (1) the content jumps from simplistic to quite complex back and forth that can be frustrating. there are sections i almost could fast forward to, and others i had to listen 2-3 times in order to understand (mostly, this is about the biological mechanisms describe - by far the most interesting part of the course, so would have loved for these parts to be more detailed and more of them); (2) the tone is often unnecessarily preaching 'you should stay away from drugs...etc'. i see no room for this in an academic course. stick to the evidence, as it is more convincing. overall, a more balanced delivery would do good. Thank you!

By Anna P M

Nov 30, 2016

This course was particularly helpful and explanatory to someone like me, who has little knowledge of the processes of substances in the human brain and the effects of drugs in general. I enjoyed almost every lecture's content and the way the whole course was structured. However, I do think that the way the lectures were delivered was a bit dry and that more perspectives on the drug addiction issue could have been presented.

By Allegra B

Sep 01, 2015

It was informative but felt that the instructor was somehow too confident of his position, though he did give lip service to other positions. I am not sure why this bothered me, since I agree with the importance of being compassionate and the misguidedness of a punitive stance towards addiction. And in fact, it has nothing to do with the course. I would also have enjoyed seeing more and/or more detailed case studies.

By Deepak G K

May 13, 2017

I was just curios to know about drugs and how it works and the impacts of it to a human being and society. This course is good for a beginner and gives a kind of very brief idea on how , what and why of Drugs. I am from a non medical background but majority of the courseware had good examples and explains stuff to make me understand.

By Yu S

Aug 31, 2015

The course gives a very comprehensive overview of what drugs are and how it affects the brain, as well as practical advice for person and government. It addresses the issue in a scientific but simple way, that makes people really understand what we are dealing with, especially with the concept of comorbidity.

By Tonatiuh G R

Jul 16, 2017

It was a great course. I really appreciate that the lessons were not that long. However I feel that the course can use more animations such those used here. I feel I dud learned a lot about addictions, something that is very important because I do work as an addiction counselor. Thank you so much!

By Peter G

Jan 02, 2017

Very well-presented course with excellent illustrations. Gives a good overview on addiction with pharmacology, with good links to further reading. I found the title slightly misleading though, as the course presented very little information on brain physiology except for the dopamine receptors.