Back to Introduction to Algae

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Algae by University of California San Diego

This course was produced by the Algae Technology Educational Consortium and UC San Diego with funding from the Algae Foundation, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and the U.S. Department of Energy. Algae are an extremely diverse group of organisms that can be found in almost every ecosystem on the planet, and they play an essential role for life on earth. They are little bio-factories that use the process of photosynthesis to create chemical compounds that we can utilize for food, feed, medicine, and even energy. We’ve brought together some of foremost algae experts from industry and academia to teach you the fundamentals of algae. This course will cover what algae are, why they are important, and why we are interested in them for both their environmental benefit, as well as their use for products. You will also explore the vast diversity of algae including the characteristics and applications of some of the main types of algae that are in commercial use today. Later you will learn about algal ecology and how interactions with environment, including pests and predators, affect algal productivity. And finally you will examine the processes of algae bio-manufacturing including production processes, as well as some of the products, benefits, and challenges that impact our ability to make commercially viable products from algae....

AZ

Apr 10, 2019

one of the best course to know everything about algae. I recommend all people who decided to work on algae pass this course. I learnt about different aspects of algae and seaweed. thanks Coursera.

PG

Apr 16, 2020

Very interesting and inspiring course! So cool to learn about the history and great diversity of algae, as well as the potential uses of algae in renewable energy and for sustainable materials.

1 - 25 of 213 Reviews for Introduction to Algae

By Taras P

Jul 05, 2019

An exceptional introduction I must say. I am an BS Aquaculture from URI and an oyster hatchery manager and was more than satisfied with the curriculum and the expertise of the speakers. I would greatly encourage a follow-up course.

By Kinza S

Apr 21, 2020

This is extremely knowledgeable course to me as i'm Biotechnology undergraduate student and wants to gain information about my project that is about algae so it'll be helpful to me in my project and also the material used in lectures is too good and the teachers are also superb thanks all of you to give me chance to learn and apply and thankx Coursera for amazing site for studious student who wants to learn in a peaceful environment so thankyou once again...

By Juan A P A

Aug 03, 2020

Great coruse, very professional and charismatic teachers. The first three weeks were awesome but the last two were a little bit boring. It's agreat course for anyone interested in algae as an industrial organism

By Amirreza Z

By Andrea L d B

Apr 28, 2020

Muy bien explicado, pienso que te da un panorama bien definido sobre el cultivo de algas (con mayor enfásis en microalgas) y las diferentes etapas que se tienen. Un gusto llevar este curso.

By Tony R

Sep 05, 2019

An excellent detail introduction covering the details of algae

evolution, algae bio- chemistries & structures, algae cultivation, harvesting, producer methods, products and applications.

By Ahmet Y M

Oct 13, 2019

I wish there was an option that I could see the captions (the sentences that the speaker spoke) during the presentations like watching TV with the CC is on... Just a suggestion.

By Shaun P I

Jan 04, 2020

A good course however, it has a beginner level rather than an intermediate one

By Thiruchelvi R

Jul 29, 2020

I'm the lover of algae, Hence I took this course which gives more insights to know about starting from lifecycle to product development...…which is same like as our child birth in humans....I enjoyed and I'm feeling more passion to undergo this course. I strongly recommend all to take this course....don't miss this awesome oppturnity to know about the most abundant resource which available surrounding us....

Last but not least..by taking this course I'm having more insights to become entrepreneur and developing products from algae. Thanks to UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN DIEGO Professors ..

Looking forward more advanced form of course related to algae. Thank you...

I kindly request the team to post the answer for below question. II need answer for one of the quiz which I feel very bad not to answer. the question was

What is the energy source that phototrophic organism used to create food?

By Prabuddha L G

Jun 01, 2020

I am Ph.D. in algae biotechnology and I have a good experience in cultivation, dewatering, harvesting of algae biomass along with biofuel production of algae, but this course has really helped to understand the novel updates in the field of algal biotechnology, especially the harvesting and production of polyurethane, etc. I would really recommend this course to all the students of bioprocess technology, botany, biotechnology, and chemistry students. The information and knowledge are really helping to understand key nuisances in the whole process and develop a through concept. I am happy to complete the course. Thanks for the whole team of UC San Diego and Coursera for such amazing work.

By Kariana A F L

Apr 17, 2020

Excelente curso, lo tome ya que estoy en un proyecto de NSF en donde tenemos un laboratorio de algas. Resume muy bien los temas generales de las algas, y tiene un contenido muy instructivo y beneficioso para cualquiera que este comenzando o ya tenga conocimiento de algas. El nivel de dificultad es intermedio, solo necesitas saber un poco de biología y la célula para entender todo a la perfección. Me encanto el curso. Los profesores son de excelente calidad, recursos muy reconocidos en el tema de las algas.

Kariana Feliciano

Research LabTech NSF Proposal, Inter American University of Puerto Rico, Barranquitas Campus. Marine Biotechnology Laboratory

By Joshua M N Q

Jan 17, 2020

Through this course, I was able to learn the fundamentals of algae. The lessons and presentations helped me fully understand the importance of algae, not just in the industry but also to the environment. The knowledge I have acquired from this course will have a huge impact to me as a chemical engineering student. Now, I am more interested in landing a future job in bioengineering, utilizing microbes specifically algae for the sustainable production of energy, food, and biomedicine.

By Esteban D A G

Jan 04, 2020

La metodología de aprendizaje en el curso fue didáctica se a bordaron los temas de manera gráfica y teórica lo cual facilito el aprendizaje del contenido expuesto ,se abordaron temáticas importantes en el cultivo de macro y micro-algas como taxonomía, características de los organismos,ecología ,fertilización ,técnicas de cosecha ,extracción de lípidos, usos comerciales de la biomasa , sistemas de producción,entre otros aspectos de gran relevancia.

By Inga V d B

Jun 18, 2020

I very much enjoyed the course. The videos were quite short and so completing them did not feel like a big task. The amount of work was also generously spaced over the course of five weeks... given the amount of content (which was suprisingly less dense than expected).

I would have enjoyed learning a bit more in depth, or perhaps if an advanced course could be given into algae I would very much enjoy further studying the subject.

By Shawn P

Feb 24, 2018

Great introductory course to algae covering a diverse range of topics such as biology (e.g. different species, evolutionary history), cultivation (e.g. pests/predator management systems, overview of raceway ponds and photobioreactors), harvesting (thickening and dewatering process equipment), processing (biofuels, bioplastics) and more. A solid foundation for future learning.

By coco p

Oct 12, 2018

This is a very informative, compact, summary course on algae. After finishing the course, you will have a thought map on algae from biological aspect to chemical engineering aspect. This is a really simple course, just to ease you in on the subject and you can move onto detailed researches on sub-subjects of algae with a greater understanding.

By Kevin W

Sep 08, 2019

really want to meet all you guys, I really, really want to go to UCSD for algae biotech. I love the work of Brian Von Herzmon and professor Mayfield. Your work with the malaria vaccine and alginesis materials inspires me greatly and I want to make myself useful!

Thank you so much for offering these courses.

By Brandon O

Apr 15, 2019

Really in depth but simple to understand. I was not familiar with algae and after this it seems like something that I would like to pursue in a farm setting so Ia appreciate all the basics but again it was really in depth enough that i felt like I got my moneys and most importantly my times worth.

By Tee C S

Jul 02, 2020

Very interesting course started with introduction of the algae classification, how to grow the algae large scale to harvesting the cells. It also cover the bio-manufacturing which I found most interesting. I wish the algae bio-manufacturing expanding in the future to produce value added products.

By María V V F

Very educational, didatic, ineresting and entretaining course. It gives great insight of algae and algae production. The professors speak fluently and clearly for the student to be able to undestand and keep up with the course. I really liked it, and would totally recommend it.

By Savannah P

Dec 30, 2019

I found this course to be informative and interesting! The instructors lessons on algae diversity, ecology and applications were all very captivating. This course strengthened my existing interest in algae technologies and I am grateful that it was made available to the public.

By Luis E R G

Jul 08, 2020

This was an excellent course, so clear and easy to understand, it goes over all the major important subjects in the matters if algae, I hope some day this folks will open a new course about algae a little step further, like more specialized in taxonomic or applied industry.

By Harry A H

Oct 15, 2020

Fascinating subject. Extremely well presented by a team of some ten people., but the information is well divided between them. The lectures are well to the point. Does exactly what it says it will, give you a good introduction to the subject.

By Abhilash K

Apr 10, 2019

It is the perfect Introductory course on algae ,most of the explanation is given in simple language from one algae pioneers , I would suggest every one this course , who want to know the applications of these beautiful creatures