Back to Introduction to Algae

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Algae by University of California San Diego

This course was produced by the Algae Technology Educational Consortium and UC San Diego with funding from the Algae Foundation, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and the U.S. Department of Energy. Algae are an extremely diverse group of organisms that can be found in almost every ecosystem on the planet, and they play an essential role for life on earth. They are little bio-factories that use the process of photosynthesis to create chemical compounds that we can utilize for food, feed, medicine, and even energy. We’ve brought together some of foremost algae experts from industry and academia to teach you the fundamentals of algae. This course will cover what algae are, why they are important, and why we are interested in them for both their environmental benefit, as well as their use for products. You will also explore the vast diversity of algae including the characteristics and applications of some of the main types of algae that are in commercial use today. Later you will learn about algal ecology and how interactions with environment, including pests and predators, affect algal productivity. And finally you will examine the processes of algae bio-manufacturing including production processes, as well as some of the products, benefits, and challenges that impact our ability to make commercially viable products from algae....

AZ
Apr 9, 2019

one of the best course to know everything about algae. I recommend all people who decided to work on algae pass this course. I learnt about different aspects of algae and seaweed. thanks Coursera.

PG
Apr 15, 2020

Very interesting and inspiring course! So cool to learn about the history and great diversity of algae, as well as the potential uses of algae in renewable energy and for sustainable materials.

51 - 75 of 276 Reviews for Introduction to Algae

By muhammad m a k

Feb 28, 2021

this is cool, i wish could open an edible macroalgae oil extraction factory as my vision is to open a strat-up, thank you coursera and all the instructor for brought the course for free.

By ELIKRINES R L M U

Aug 26, 2020

It's a beautifully explained intro to algae course which definitely motivates one to go further and learn more about the vast diversity of algae and the products one can get from them.

By Andrea d J G O

Aug 10, 2020

It was a easy course. It explains very well the basics for algae and microalgae. Congratulations to the people to make this!! This is going to help me a lot on my masters degree :)

By JOHN Q

Feb 16, 2018

Fantastic Course! I was so pleased to participate in a course on Algae and to learn it's reality and potential in our culture and world. Thanks to all who put this course on.

By Rose W

Apr 19, 2020

great course.I would have liked more information about macroalgae but I found the information on microalgae very interesting. I enjoyed all the different presenters. Thank you

By Ridho W G

Sep 1, 2021

T​hank you very much for this course. It helps me a lot to prepare myself for my master's study in a course of  Managing Biological Lifecycles – Micro- and Macroalgae.

By Luke R

Oct 15, 2018

Amazing topic that I am humbled to be able to learn about. I hope I can take the more advanced classes that go further in dept into this fascinating and timely topic.

By Dr M U

Apr 15, 2020

Many of the concepts delivered in the course spreads an in depth knowledge in phycology. All the topics were equally informative without repetition of the concepts.

By Bienson C N

Oct 25, 2020

When lecturers discuss, I would be good if they have pointer. Sometime, it is difficult to follow when they discuss something on slides which has many picture.

By Herath M H H D

Jul 5, 2018

This course gives you all the basic understanding of the algae world and opens up your mind to the endless industry and research opportunities that algae hold.

By Hiran A H R

May 14, 2019

This was a very insightfull course that allows me to learn and have a better comprenhension about basic aspects of microalgae biotechnology that I did'nt knew

By Josel C

Oct 2, 2020

An interesting platform to start once journey on both micro- and macroalgae, their evolutionary and life history, uses, farming, and post-harvest processes.

By Raineer B J

Mar 20, 2021

very informative course with amazing topics and lecturers. i learned a lot have come to appreciated the value of algae in our ecosystem and our daily life.

By Meenakshi S

Jul 11, 2020

Algae introduction course id designed perfectly covering all aspects of algae cultivation, harvesting and bio-products. It was a great learning experience.

By Venkataraghavan R

Jun 24, 2020

The course is awesome. This course provided various insights and exploration in algal biotechnology. I wish to take more courses in Coursera in future.

By Javiera A

Jul 1, 2019

Excellent course, it helped me to review the knowledge about algae and to learn new things. The teachers are very good! I really recomend this course.

By P G

Jun 23, 2020

Very useful course materials regarding algal growth and harvesting. This course was refreshing and interesting to know about the medieval organisms

By Maria E

Jun 24, 2020

A well explained course. I really enjoyed the simple explanations given by the proffesors. I hope i find other courses as well elaborated as this.

By 조윤진

Sep 25, 2020

Can learn basic concepts of algae from its biology to cultivation and harvesting in a short time. Even about how useful the algae products are.

By KARAVADI V 1

Jul 14, 2020

The course gave great knowledge on algae industrial processing. I would like to learn some advance courses on algae industrial manufacturing

By Sofia S O

Jan 12, 2021

It was really good to learn with each of the lectures, every teacher was amazing and the topics discussed were very interesting. I love it!

By Jay T

Sep 28, 2020

This was a very enjoyable course. Instructors did a great job covering a lot of material in a way that was easy to follow. I learned a lot.

By Francisco G

Jul 10, 2018

Excelente curso. Muy útil la información. Aunque si fuera posible me gustaría hubieran hablado un poco mas del manejo de las microalgas.

By Carlo R H A

Sep 5, 2020

It was incredible. Full of information, complete in all the themes needes and the experts did a really good job in teaching each class

By Tat Y

Apr 24, 2021

Great material. Deep and broad enough to cover the subject well. Excellent presenters an very useful slides. I highly recommend it.