Back to Introduction to Algae

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Algae by University of California San Diego

This course was produced by the Algae Technology Educational Consortium and UC San Diego with funding from the Algae Foundation, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and the U.S. Department of Energy. Algae are an extremely diverse group of organisms that can be found in almost every ecosystem on the planet, and they play an essential role for life on earth. They are little bio-factories that use the process of photosynthesis to create chemical compounds that we can utilize for food, feed, medicine, and even energy. We’ve brought together some of foremost algae experts from industry and academia to teach you the fundamentals of algae. This course will cover what algae are, why they are important, and why we are interested in them for both their environmental benefit, as well as their use for products. You will also explore the vast diversity of algae including the characteristics and applications of some of the main types of algae that are in commercial use today. Later you will learn about algal ecology and how interactions with environment, including pests and predators, affect algal productivity. And finally you will examine the processes of algae bio-manufacturing including production processes, as well as some of the products, benefits, and challenges that impact our ability to make commercially viable products from algae....

AZ

Apr 10, 2019

one of the best course to know everything about algae. I recommend all people who decided to work on algae pass this course. I learnt about different aspects of algae and seaweed. thanks Coursera.

TR

Sep 05, 2019

An excellent detail introduction covering the details of algae\n\nevolution, algae bio- chemistries & structures, algae cultivation, harvesting, producer methods, products and applications.

1 - 25 of 63 Reviews for Introduction to Algae

By Taras P

Jul 05, 2019

An exceptional introduction I must say. I am an BS Aquaculture from URI and an oyster hatchery manager and was more than satisfied with the curriculum and the expertise of the speakers. I would greatly encourage a follow-up course.

By Julien

Mar 25, 2019

Clear (even for a French guy!), very interesting and many informations about the potential of algaes in the futur (bio products, alimentation, car fuel…) A revelation !

By Fabio R M

Dec 21, 2018

Very good course, i have learnt more of algae and how to use them.

By Amirreza Z

By Abhilash K

Apr 10, 2019

It is the perfect Introductory course on algae ,most of the explanation is given in simple language from one algae pioneers , I would suggest every one this course , who want to know the applications of these beautiful creatures

By Shaun P M

Mar 30, 2018

Excellent!! Very clear to understand.

By JOHN Q

Feb 16, 2018

Fantastic Course! I was so pleased to participate in a course on Algae and to learn it's reality and potential in our culture and world. Thanks to all who put this course on.

By Herath M H H D

Jul 05, 2018

This course gives you all the basic understanding of the algae world and opens up your mind to the endless industry and research opportunities that algae hold.

By Andres F B s

Feb 26, 2018

Excelente curso, muy util y fácil de entender

By fernando g u

May 10, 2018

Buen curso.Interesante.Gracias

By Shawn P

Feb 24, 2018

Great introductory course to algae covering a diverse range of topics such as biology (e.g. different species, evolutionary history), cultivation (e.g. pests/predator management systems, overview of raceway ponds and photobioreactors), harvesting (thickening and dewatering process equipment), processing (biofuels, bioplastics) and more. A solid foundation for future learning.

By Angelo P M

Mar 17, 2018

Excellent lectures with renowned algae professionals. I sincerely recommend this course. Ângelo Matos from Brazil.

By Steven B

Apr 17, 2018

An excellent introductory course providing very useful theory and practical information.

By Teo C L

Mar 07, 2018

Good !

By Laura B

Mar 24, 2018

I really enjoyed this course. My son works in the algae industry so it helped me understand what he is doing.

By Francisco G

Jul 10, 2018

Excelente curso. Muy útil la información. Aunque si fuera posible me gustaría hubieran hablado un poco mas del manejo de las microalgas.

By Paul M

Sep 08, 2018

A confident first step in taking this possiblity forward.

By luke R

Oct 15, 2018

Amazing topic that I am humbled to be able to learn about. I hope I can take the more advanced classes that go further in dept into this fascinating and timely topic.

By Dean P

Aug 28, 2018

Great introductory course for everyone out there who has an interest in algae biology!

By Dennis I

Aug 16, 2018

Great Course! Very basic but if you find it interesting its a great primer!

By CARLOS A R R

Oct 28, 2018

Excelente curso para conocer el panorama actual del cultivo de algas, retos, requerimientos y aplicaciones

By Pim v d B

Nov 02, 2018

This coarse gives plenty of insights in different algae spiecies and how they are used. Some material is repeated multiple times which makes it more easy to remember. The lectures are all from the field of algae!

By DanCorbett

Nov 05, 2018

superb

By Gratia D F S

Jul 30, 2018

could you open a second course of it with more about photosynthesis and other techniques