Back to Introduction to Algae

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Algae by University of California San Diego

This course was produced by the Algae Technology Educational Consortium and UC San Diego with funding from the Algae Foundation, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and the U.S. Department of Energy. Algae are an extremely diverse group of organisms that can be found in almost every ecosystem on the planet, and they play an essential role for life on earth. They are little bio-factories that use the process of photosynthesis to create chemical compounds that we can utilize for food, feed, medicine, and even energy. We’ve brought together some of foremost algae experts from industry and academia to teach you the fundamentals of algae. This course will cover what algae are, why they are important, and why we are interested in them for both their environmental benefit, as well as their use for products. You will also explore the vast diversity of algae including the characteristics and applications of some of the main types of algae that are in commercial use today. Later you will learn about algal ecology and how interactions with environment, including pests and predators, affect algal productivity. And finally you will examine the processes of algae bio-manufacturing including production processes, as well as some of the products, benefits, and challenges that impact our ability to make commercially viable products from algae....

AZ
Apr 9, 2019

one of the best course to know everything about algae. I recommend all people who decided to work on algae pass this course. I learnt about different aspects of algae and seaweed. thanks Coursera.

PG
Apr 15, 2020

Very interesting and inspiring course! So cool to learn about the history and great diversity of algae, as well as the potential uses of algae in renewable energy and for sustainable materials.

76 - 100 of 265 Reviews for Introduction to Algae

By Mansoreh G

Jan 5, 2020

dear sir or madam

I was very happy in this course

please put more course about aquaculture and phycology

By Diana A H S

May 26, 2019

I really enjoyed this course, I hope there is a follow-up course for learning more about microalgae and photobioreactors.

By Ahmed Y E P

Jun 7, 2020

Me siento capacitado para toda problema que enfrente en mi investigación gracias a esta valioso curso muchos gracias.

By ALI N A A

Oct 5, 2018

it's a very useful course for those who search or interested to know more about algae such as environmental engineers

By Rashidul I

This course is very informative and enriched our basic knowledge about algae. It will help my next graduation level.

By Leyla W

Aug 19, 2020

Throughly enjoyed, very informative, especially week 5 (applications). Would recommend this course to bio students.

By Mariya K

Apr 23, 2020

Absolutely delightful course for anyone interested in algae either as a research target, or as a indutrial product.

By Sierra J

Jan 9, 2021

Great class, more on applications than the structure and differences of Algae than I anticipated, but good content

By Rodrigo T B

Jul 14, 2020

Excellent course, great ideas to innovate in the algae world and also an impressive review of techniques and tools

By Angelo P M

Mar 17, 2018

Excellent lectures with renowned algae professionals. I sincerely recommend this course. Ângelo Matos from Brazil.

By Irene R R

Dec 8, 2019

Very interesting and gives a good base for those wanting to learn about algae an their different possible uses!

By Krishnakumar R

Oct 30, 2020

Very detailed, even though the videos weren't very lengthy. Great that industry experts gave some insight too!

By Laura B

Mar 24, 2018

I really enjoyed this course. My son works in the algae industry so it helped me understand what he is doing.

By Shreya R

Sep 26, 2020

great course! Nice insight into the vast use of algae and current research/methods being used in industries.

By Carlette N

Really interesting course and very clear learning methods. I would very much recommend taking this course!!

By Rosalie M

May 16, 2021

I found this interesting, easy to follow and impressed with the excellent lecturers throughout the course.

By GELSON L

Apr 19, 2021

Very cool course! The information is easy to diggest and it gives some nice insight into algae as a whole.

By Andreina G

Sep 2, 2020

I am very satisfied with all of the knowledge received in each lesson of this marvelous course. Excellent!

By CARLOS A R R

Oct 28, 2018

Excelente curso para conocer el panorama actual del cultivo de algas, retos, requerimientos y aplicaciones

By Dainey D

Aug 26, 2020

I was able to understand Algal Science in a comprehensive manner. Thanks to Course Teachers and Coursera.

By Mark J S

Mar 23, 2021

Interesting course. I've learned a lot about a topic I knew nothing about. Compliments to the lecturers!

By Carles A P

Nov 17, 2020

Very illustrative introduction to the algae as an organism and as a new source for sustainable products.

By Louise B

Sep 16, 2019

Wonderful introduction to algae – interesting and well presented. I wish there was a follow-on course!

By Joana F d S A

Dec 25, 2019

I've some previous experience in the microalgae field and I considered this course really useful.

By Adriana F S G

Jun 17, 2020

Curso muy bueno! Necesario para todos aquellos profesionales agro industriales, del siglo 21 :)