Back to Introduction to Algae

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Algae by University of California San Diego

This course was produced by the Algae Technology Educational Consortium and UC San Diego with funding from the Algae Foundation, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and the U.S. Department of Energy. Algae are an extremely diverse group of organisms that can be found in almost every ecosystem on the planet, and they play an essential role for life on earth. They are little bio-factories that use the process of photosynthesis to create chemical compounds that we can utilize for food, feed, medicine, and even energy. We’ve brought together some of foremost algae experts from industry and academia to teach you the fundamentals of algae. This course will cover what algae are, why they are important, and why we are interested in them for both their environmental benefit, as well as their use for products. You will also explore the vast diversity of algae including the characteristics and applications of some of the main types of algae that are in commercial use today. Later you will learn about algal ecology and how interactions with environment, including pests and predators, affect algal productivity. And finally you will examine the processes of algae bio-manufacturing including production processes, as well as some of the products, benefits, and challenges that impact our ability to make commercially viable products from algae....

AZ

Apr 10, 2019

one of the best course to know everything about algae. I recommend all people who decided to work on algae pass this course. I learnt about different aspects of algae and seaweed. thanks Coursera.

TR

Sep 05, 2019

An excellent detail introduction covering the details of algae\n\nevolution, algae bio- chemistries & structures, algae cultivation, harvesting, producer methods, products and applications.

26 - 50 of 64 Reviews for Introduction to Algae

By Pim v d B

Nov 02, 2018

This coarse gives plenty of insights in different algae spiecies and how they are used. Some material is repeated multiple times which makes it more easy to remember. The lectures are all from the field of algae!

By DanCorbett

Nov 05, 2018

superb

By coco p

Oct 12, 2018

This is a very informative, compact, summary course on algae. After finishing the course, you will have a thought map on algae from biological aspect to chemical engineering aspect. This is a really simple course, just to ease you in on the subject and you can move onto detailed researches on sub-subjects of algae with a greater understanding.

By Gratia D F S

Jul 30, 2018

could you open a second course of it with more about photosynthesis and other techniques

By Mamta

Apr 17, 2019

very useful

By Christina P

Apr 22, 2019

I enjoyed taking this course and learned all this new information. Definitely recommend. :)

By Johanna

May 12, 2019

Excellent Material, very updated and well explained!

By Hiran A H R

May 15, 2019

This was a very insightfull course that allows me to learn and have a better comprenhension about basic aspects of microalgae biotechnology that I did'nt knew

By Frederick B

May 14, 2019

Perfect balance of detail without being overwhelming. A great introduction!

By AM

Jun 28, 2019

I love algae! I want to swim in it!

By Jiacheng S

Jun 10, 2019

good

By Suzana T d C L

Jul 22, 2019

Excellent Course! Covers many different aspects of algae biology and blue biotech. Very happy to get classes from such amazing Professionals of UCSD and others! Thanks for the opportunity!

By samuel

Aug 05, 2019

Coursera provides quality education by courses like these thanks to professor and courser and all who worked in these course

By LUTHFIYYAH A

Aug 28, 2019

its really awesome lectures

By Javiera A

Jul 01, 2019

Excellent course, it helped me to review the knowledge about algae and to learn new things. The teachers are very good! I really recomend this course.

By NARESH K

Jul 14, 2019

This course was really helpful for me I need to take advance courses in algae research.

By Tony R

Sep 05, 2019

An excellent detail introduction covering the details of algae

By Kevin W

Sep 08, 2019

really want to meet all you guys, I really, really want to go to UCSD for algae biotech. I love the work of Brian Von Herzmon and professor Mayfield. Your work with the malaria vaccine and alginesis materials inspires me greatly and I want to make myself useful!

Thank you so much for offering these courses.

By Louise B

Sep 16, 2019

Wonderful introduction to algae – interesting and well presented. I wish there was a follow-on course!

By Kester L C

Sep 12, 2019

Thought it was a nice accessible course for a beginner to algae, as I was. It covered key topics comprehensively, and touched on more complex issues to give students an idea of how to study further if desired. Recommended!

By Matthew P

Sep 15, 2019

Good introduction course on algae and its potential uses.

By Diana A H S

May 27, 2019

I really enjoyed this course, I hope there is a follow-up course for learning more about microalgae and photobioreactors.

By Francesca L M

Sep 26, 2019

So interesting and informative! Loved every moment.

By Jaime C S V

Oct 21, 2019

Very, educational.

By Ahmet Y M

Oct 13, 2019

I wish there was an option that I could see the captions (the sentences that the speaker spoke) during the presentations like watching TV with the CC is on... Just a suggestion.