Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ

Jun 21, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YJ

Aug 20, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

76 - 100 of 735 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By Jeff G

Nov 10, 2017

A difficult and time consuming course. Each week the assignments are significantly harder than the previous week. However, you will become fairly sufficient with SQL after completing the course.

Hint to succeed with this course: Utilize the community forum and the search function.

By Brian M

Dec 20, 2017

This course was very helpful in helping me understand the basics of SQL query writing, and in real time I was able to learn how to create complex queries that will help me further my career. I highly recommend this course to individuals willing to put the time in to learning a

By HUA E C

Aug 14, 2017

You will learn from the very basic concept of how relational database to the mechanism behind how to JOIN different data from other tables.

It's a long and hard work along the course but extremely rewarding !

Make sure you learn week by week as they strongly connected in order.

By DIONYSIOS Z

Mar 21, 2017

Best course to start learning SQL & Jupyter Notebook (Python). I have already tried to learn SQL from CodeAcademy, but this one is much more intuitive & detail-oriented. Lots of easy-to-follow examples, great instructor and quality of videos/lectures. I recommend it 100%.

By Chase R

Aug 28, 2017

Best coursera course I have taken so far. Actually gave challenging exercises with good instruction, and forced users to really learn both inside and outside of class. Great balance of in course material and stretching people to learn outside. Last quiz not fun though.

By Svetlana R

It's very cool and interesting course. I've learned a lot and extremely recommend it to whom want to learn SQL. The course is good structured and you know new things step by step from elementary to more advanced level. Thanks a lot to creators of the course! Well done!

By Justin

Sep 17, 2016

This is by far the most comprehensive SQL course I have ever taken. A lot of times there are SQL classes that are online that give you a glimpse into what it takes to be great at SQL queries. This is a must for anyone seriously considering to becoming a data analyst.

By Siyu B

Aug 06, 2017

This course is very friendly for people with no MySQL experience before. Now I can write queries to solve problems independently and know how to seek help from online forum like GitHub or StackOverflow. Great thanks to all the teachers and mentors. Love from China.

By Yifei H

Jun 20, 2016

Great class to start learning SQL. Jupyter and Teradata are brilliant choices (web-based interface) that avoid the plain of installation. Real datasets from Dognition and Dillard make exercises much more meaningful. Thank you for the careful design and teaching!

By Leon H

Jun 17, 2020

Very good course taking you from the very basics of SQL all the way up to very long and complicated queries. The final week was difficult but i'm glad I managed it persevere as after completing the entire course I have confidence in my newly learned SQL skills.

By ANIKET D K

Sep 10, 2020

This course definitely gave me confidence in mysql. Both beginners and novice learners can out try this course.Also we get to learn in 2 different platforms that is jupyter and terada using real world datasets . Overall best course for mysql i have found !

By Nayef A

Dec 12, 2016

Highly recommend this course for people pursuing careers in data analysis/business intelligence - i.e. those who do not need to know the details of how to set up or optimize databases, but will interact with databases regularly to get data for their work.

By J.W. P

Dec 30, 2017

It was very worth the effort. In 5 weeks, you can increase your earning potential and no matter if your main focus is visualization knowing how to extract your own data from the company databases makes you a much more valuable asset to your team.

By Ngoc T B N

Dec 12, 2016

I learned SQL by doing projects at work but this SQL helps me to learn from very basic to the advanced. Some questions why this happened at work before was explained well in the class. That's true that data in the real world is messy and missing.

By Julian M

Sep 25, 2017

Great examples and problems to work through that actually challenge your SQL knowledge and best practices going forward. The inclusion of Jupyter notebooks and actual datasets help the course feel authentic and useful in the professional field.

By Stefan K

Jan 20, 2016

Very good course for learning SQL - the tutorials, materials and exercises provided are very well thought and structured. The staff put lot of effort and thinking into this one. I like the whole specialization and I can recommend taking it.

By Srikanth k

Apr 24, 2018

A good course to learn MySQL from the Scratch. If you have an interest You can complete these courses with in 2 weeks.The Course gave the full hands on real time data with Dognition and Dillards Data sets. I enjoyed learning the courses.

By dinesh k

Aug 21, 2017

This course provides an enormous amount of practice for SQL queries that other online courses lack. As in some of other online courses, we see instructor writing most of the codes, and there is not a right amount of practice for students.

By Nguyen M H

Apr 06, 2019

Great course about database.

This course come from basic background in Relational database rather then go detail to syntax SQL.

Beside that, it provide real big dataset (around 100 million records, woa)

Thanks for creating such great course

By Trevor

Jun 10, 2017

A good challenge for those who want to feel confident querying databases. It forces you to work through the processes and as a result the learnings are much more substantial. I am very glad I took and see immediate benefits in my job.

By Sanath P

Dec 25, 2017

Thanks to my teachers Daniel & Jana. Learnt how to apply mySQL & TeraData into my real business world. Great insights offered to deep dive with the given data and what needs to be applied to make it logical. Thankyou once again!!!

By Isaac P

Apr 24, 2018

Awesome course - I learned a TON of SQL. Feel very confident, and expect that I could rely on SQL documentation to develop more advanced queries. It took a lot of time, but if you give your time to this course you will learn SQL.

By Daria E

Sep 06, 2017

This course really touched on all the most important aspects of learning how to use a SQL database while also providing many supporting materials for reference. I was very satisfied with the quality of the materials and teaching.

By Víctor A G S

Dec 18, 2016

If you choose to follow this course, you will have to invest a lot of time. There are few videos, but you will go through a lot of exercises that will make you learn (or recall, like in my case) SQL in a very effective way.

By Roxana A

Nov 17, 2016

Best course I've ever taken on coursera because it's all about practice instead of theory - and the quizzes/practice questions are extremely difficult but once you get through it you will definitely say SQL is a skill you own.