Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

76 - 100 of 840 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By Charissa O

Feb 11, 2016

great videos, great tutorials. Felt like I learnt this way better than any module I took in college because lectures were kept to the point, no long winding stories that goes on and on, assignments were manageable and easy to follow. Felt like I learnt at least 90% of everything that was taught, instead of a ~~50-60% usually.

By MBAINDIGUIM B

Mar 6, 2019

i have learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. I also learn how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involve in implementing new data collection efforts.

By Wu C O

Jun 3, 2020

Jana is one of the best tutor there is. She makes MySQL so much fun to learn and breaks the materials down extremely well so you're building on solid foundations. Think the best thing about this course was learning how to apply the technical details to real life examples rather than just learning the theory itself

By Vishnu V R

Jan 26, 2016

It is one of the best course I have taken. I am really enjoying my progress and it's simple and easy to learn. So, I recommend, if anyone interested in Big Data it is worth taking this Course and You get some confidence to go deeper.

Big Thanks to Jana. You are such a Wonderful instructor.

Cheers....

Vishnu

By Mingyu D

Jul 20, 2020

The course is really demanding but helpful. Many people tell me that SQL is so easy to learn that you can handle it within a day. But just like the explicit language, Python, SQL brings some difficulties to me as I dive deeper into it following this course. Challenge yourself from now on!

By Vittoria D S

Feb 26, 2021

Excelente curso, había visto ya otros cursos, pero eran muy básicos, mostraban hasta los JOIN, pero no las consultas internas. Lo bueno es que también cuentan con una base de datos con diferentes tablas y permite entender que a veces podemos ver datos errados si no tenemos un buen query.

By Lauren T

Mar 1, 2020

This course was so helpful to me. All of the information was thoroughly and thoughtfully presented. On average, I spent about twice as much time on the class each week as the stated estimated time per week. However, the understanding I gathered in this course was worth the time spent.

By Ahmed G

Jan 16, 2018

great course about learning SQL. The course is well designed and taught by an excellent instructor. She covers the basic, intermediate and advanced topics one can possibly think of within the context of solving real world problems. It is one of the best investments I ever made in myself.

By Rupam B

Jun 15, 2020

It was a very interactive course, I had a great time in the last 4 weeks.

The exercises given in every week in every lesson of the course was very helpful.

The discussion forum was also great.

Altogether I would suggest anyone who has interest in Data analysis, to take up the\is course

By Jeff G

Nov 10, 2017

A difficult and time consuming course. Each week the assignments are significantly harder than the previous week. However, you will become fairly sufficient with SQL after completing the course.

Hint to succeed with this course: Utilize the community forum and the search function.

By Brian M

Dec 19, 2017

This course was very helpful in helping me understand the basics of SQL query writing, and in real time I was able to learn how to create complex queries that will help me further my career. I highly recommend this course to individuals willing to put the time in to learning a

By Kevin C

Aug 14, 2017

You will learn from the very basic concept of how relational database to the mechanism behind how to JOIN different data from other tables.

It's a long and hard work along the course but extremely rewarding !

Make sure you learn week by week as they strongly connected in order.

By Pablo P

Oct 10, 2020

Thanks a lot for the opportunity to learn something very useful, I have also practiced my English understanding so it was doble challenge for me, I am feeling full of proud and ready for something new. I know that it did not finish here, so I keep learning and practice more.

By Iñaki O

Oct 9, 2020

Excelente curso, comienza explicando como funcionan las bases de datos relacionales, luego con consultas sencillas las cuales cada vez van teniendo mas complejidad. Al culminarlo realmente vas a tener una muy buena base para trabajar con SQL y hacer tus propias consultas.

By DIONYSIOS Z

Mar 21, 2017

Best course to start learning SQL & Jupyter Notebook (Python). I have already tried to learn SQL from CodeAcademy, but this one is much more intuitive & detail-oriented. Lots of easy-to-follow examples, great instructor and quality of videos/lectures. I recommend it 100%.

By Chase R

Aug 28, 2017

Best coursera course I have taken so far. Actually gave challenging exercises with good instruction, and forced users to really learn both inside and outside of class. Great balance of in course material and stretching people to learn outside. Last quiz not fun though.

By Svetlana R

It's very cool and interesting course. I've learned a lot and extremely recommend it to whom want to learn SQL. The course is good structured and you know new things step by step from elementary to more advanced level. Thanks a lot to creators of the course! Well done!

By Justin

Sep 16, 2016

This is by far the most comprehensive SQL course I have ever taken. A lot of times there are SQL classes that are online that give you a glimpse into what it takes to be great at SQL queries. This is a must for anyone seriously considering to becoming a data analyst.

By Siyu B

Aug 6, 2017

This course is very friendly for people with no MySQL experience before. Now I can write queries to solve problems independently and know how to seek help from online forum like GitHub or StackOverflow. Great thanks to all the teachers and mentors. Love from China.

By Yifei H

Jun 20, 2016

Great class to start learning SQL. Jupyter and Teradata are brilliant choices (web-based interface) that avoid the plain of installation. Real datasets from Dognition and Dillard make exercises much more meaningful. Thank you for the careful design and teaching!

By Leon H

Jun 17, 2020

Very good course taking you from the very basics of SQL all the way up to very long and complicated queries. The final week was difficult but i'm glad I managed it persevere as after completing the entire course I have confidence in my newly learned SQL skills.

By Tainá F d B

May 26, 2021

Amazing course!! I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how to use SQL! I had absolutely no previous knowledge and I loved every minute of it! It was challenging at times, but SO worth it! This is the best course available on Coursera I ever did.

By Nayef A

Dec 11, 2016

Highly recommend this course for people pursuing careers in data analysis/business intelligence - i.e. those who do not need to know the details of how to set up or optimize databases, but will interact with databases regularly to get data for their work.

By Alice W

May 21, 2021

Jana, this course is phenomenal. Thank you to the staff and other participants who helped me through this course. Holy cow, it's not for the weak, but the biggest piece of advice: persevere and keep thinking. You'll get it eventually *cries happy tears*

By J.W. P

Dec 30, 2017

It was very worth the effort. In 5 weeks, you can increase your earning potential and no matter if your main focus is visualization knowing how to extract your own data from the company databases makes you a much more valuable asset to your team.