Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

151 - 175 of 782 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By Juan D V

Feb 21, 2016

If you work with data this is an excellent course, but even if you are not a frequent data user you can learn a lot from the logic it explains. I absolutely recommend it.

By Heming L

Jul 30, 2019

comprehensive. no need to download or install SQL server offline, all the practices are online browser-based. but require lots of time to practice to complete each week.

By Svetlana K

Sep 4, 2017

Very strong course, the most serious course I took in Coursera! I don't use SQL in my work, but the base knowledge gained on the course has been useful to me many times.

By Gilles T

Nov 25, 2018

Fun, intuitive, full of information and practical works, I learnt so much through this course. Thank you so much, it was a pleasure to study SQL with Duke University.

By Alexander W

Sep 8, 2018

This course is very good for beginners and then goes deeper into the matter. I would be very interested in an advanced course from Jana Schaich Borg, Duke University.

By Josh L

Aug 22, 2017

Great course with carefully structured material, and easy-to-absorb, bite-size information. As a student, I don't feel overwhelmed, but feel like I've learned a lot.

By Jamille T N

Oct 28, 2019

LOVE IT! Good for beginner, it will get a little bit complicated at Week 5 tho, but you understood all first 4 weeks' materials, you will eventually get there.

By Kostis G

Aug 28, 2020

That is a great course!

Plenty of learning material, challenging exercises and quizzes.

It was well worth the time spent, to learn SQL to a good working level.

By Hossam A

May 1, 2020

Very useful and lots of resources and information, yet you need to search a lot in order to make sure you are qualified enough to start working on your own.

By Chris L

Oct 5, 2017

This course is a great introduction to SQL. The exercises and quizzes expose students to the SQL functions necessary for writing a wide variety of queries.

By Rosie

Jan 26, 2017

This course makes sure you learn MySQL in the most efficient way. I definitely recommend this course. Professor Jana is super awesome, I mean it. Thanks!

By Mingming l

Mar 30, 2016

I love this course design, very thoughtful and instructive!! Especially having the real database to practise from, it is great for beginners like myself!

By Chang L

Nov 26, 2020

One of the mose useful and practical online courses I've ever had! Thank you Dr. Jana and all the orther people who put efforts in offering this course!

By Jordan H

Feb 28, 2020

Course was well structured, I came into it not knowing anything about SQL but I now feel I have the knowledge to comfortably navigate through databases.

By Javier G

Nov 6, 2017

Great intro class for writing queries, lots of good practice and I like how much more challenging the material gets as the weeks and exercises progress.

By Margaret T

Dec 7, 2017

I loved it. It was a lot of work for me. I knew nothing about SQL and i was hard at times but It is so great to know and I loved working in Teradata.

By FELIPE A T

Sep 12, 2020

10/10 nothing to say, actually is the first online course that works even counting my university's classes (pls put the dognition relational schema)

By HU Y

Apr 14, 2020

very useful and easy to understand. Hope it will add more information about how to build a database which i think will be very useful to actual work.

By ozkanserttas

Oct 5, 2018

This is a comprehensive SQL course. Easy to understand, with many exercises gives you perfect hands-on learning experience... Thank you Dr. Jana Borg

By Xiaowen Z

Feb 6, 2016

Really like this course!! With abundant exercises, detailed explanation, real-world data and sweeeeet professor, it is a good start for SQL beginner!

By Yongli C

Oct 2, 2018

The course content is very intellectual stimulating and informative. A lot of helpful answers on the Discussion Forum. Thank you for all the effort!

By Antoine V

Mar 24, 2020

Great course, detailed explanations and loads of practice writing queries make it very effective and enjoyable ! A big thank you to the instructors

By Liliia K

Mar 2, 2020

Definitely one of the best online courses I have done. Thoughtfully created, with lots of additional optional resources, a full intro to SQL world.

By zhi z

Aug 18, 2018

One of the best courses!! well structured and intensive course to let me get to know the SQL and I will push myself through it! thank you so much

By Alejandro S

Aug 18, 2017

Quite challenging, but a great course overall. The step-by-step exercises are great for learning the material in the sequential and organized way.