Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

101 - 125 of 869 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By Alice W

May 21, 2021

Jana, this course is phenomenal. Thank you to the staff and other participants who helped me through this course. Holy cow, it's not for the weak, but the biggest piece of advice: persevere and keep thinking. You'll get it eventually *cries happy tears*

By J.W. P

Dec 30, 2017

It was very worth the effort. In 5 weeks, you can increase your earning potential and no matter if your main focus is visualization knowing how to extract your own data from the company databases makes you a much more valuable asset to your team.

By Ngoc T B N

Dec 12, 2016

I learned SQL by doing projects at work but this SQL helps me to learn from very basic to the advanced. Some questions why this happened at work before was explained well in the class. That's true that data in the real world is messy and missing.

By Julian M

Sep 25, 2017

Great examples and problems to work through that actually challenge your SQL knowledge and best practices going forward. The inclusion of Jupyter notebooks and actual datasets help the course feel authentic and useful in the professional field.

By Stefan K

Jan 20, 2016

Very good course for learning SQL - the tutorials, materials and exercises provided are very well thought and structured. The staff put lot of effort and thinking into this one. I like the whole specialization and I can recommend taking it.

By Srikanth k

Apr 24, 2018

A good course to learn MySQL from the Scratch. If you have an interest You can complete these courses with in 2 weeks.The Course gave the full hands on real time data with Dognition and Dillards Data sets. I enjoyed learning the courses.

By dinesh k

Aug 21, 2017

This course provides an enormous amount of practice for SQL queries that other online courses lack. As in some of other online courses, we see instructor writing most of the codes, and there is not a right amount of practice for students.

By Hung n m

Apr 5, 2019

Great course about database.

This course come from basic background in Relational database rather then go detail to syntax SQL.

Beside that, it provide real big dataset (around 100 million records, woa)

Thanks for creating such great course

By Trevor

Jun 10, 2017

A good challenge for those who want to feel confident querying databases. It forces you to work through the processes and as a result the learnings are much more substantial. I am very glad I took and see immediate benefits in my job.

By Sanath P

Dec 25, 2017

Thanks to my teachers Daniel & Jana. Learnt how to apply mySQL & TeraData into my real business world. Great insights offered to deep dive with the given data and what needs to be applied to make it logical. Thankyou once again!!!

By Isaac P

Apr 24, 2018

Awesome course - I learned a TON of SQL. Feel very confident, and expect that I could rely on SQL documentation to develop more advanced queries. It took a lot of time, but if you give your time to this course you will learn SQL.

By Daria E

Sep 6, 2017

This course really touched on all the most important aspects of learning how to use a SQL database while also providing many supporting materials for reference. I was very satisfied with the quality of the materials and teaching.

By Andres L U

Nov 25, 2020

Great Course, i learn a lot with Jana and i like so much how she explain everything, i am very sure that the onl way to improve knowledge is practicing and this course is intended to teach trough finish every exercise. Congrats

By Víctor A G S

Dec 18, 2016

If you choose to follow this course, you will have to invest a lot of time. There are few videos, but you will go through a lot of exercises that will make you learn (or recall, like in my case) SQL in a very effective way.

By Roxana A

Nov 17, 2016

Best course I've ever taken on coursera because it's all about practice instead of theory - and the quizzes/practice questions are extremely difficult but once you get through it you will definitely say SQL is a skill you own.

By Andrés A S N

Jan 31, 2021

It is definitely a challenging course, but one that can really make you learn and feel confident in the real world. It was huge that we got to work with real and messy datasets, this for sure enhance the learning experience.

By Muhammad F

Apr 7, 2020

This course was really awesome!!😊

I am happy to learn those skills which was essential.I enjoyed studying with Ms. Jana Schaich Borg that she did her hard work to teach me.I appreciate her skills and hard work .

By Morena M

May 17, 2021

What an amazing learning experience, enjoyed practical exercise as they give hands on the deck even though had difficulties log into Jupiter eventual managed and the sailing was amazing. Thank you the amazing set of skills.

By Nuja Z

Oct 14, 2018

By providing those messy database which is the case in reality this class really improves our way of thinking when it comes to writing SQL commands. Also those operators and functions are really useful taught in this class.

By Ryan F

Feb 15, 2016

Fantastic course on SQL for those with no prior exposure. Also addresses basic database structures, relational schemas, and ER diagrams, providing an excellent foundation for further work with data in relational databases.

By Wise Z

Dec 4, 2020

A useful and necessary course for confident use of queries in databases. The concept of the main query framework allows you to adapt and use different query languages. Thank you for the course now I know more than before!

By Rizky P

Jun 13, 2020

The course provided was clear and help me learn about SQL a lot. The only thing that bothered me was the problem with Teradata that wasted me and other learners more than 2 weeks of course time. Keep it up and thankyou!

By Henry W

May 25, 2018

The course is challenging as it pushed you to deal with real life data set so you not only leaned the language but also how to structure your analysis plan and to execute it. Well designed on-line tools really helped.

By GAUTAM K

Nov 27, 2016

I would like thanks Jana and all of her colleagues who helped in providing this course. Since this course has much importance from job perspective. I would also like to thanks Coursera for providing me an opportunity.

By Jessica A

Oct 10, 2016

This was one of the best courses I've ever taken. Each lesson built on its predecessor logically. I worked hard to learn each of the concepts, but was very impressed by how much I had learned by the end of the course.