Back to Confronting The Big Questions: Highlights of Modern Astronomy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Confronting The Big Questions: Highlights of Modern Astronomy by University of Rochester

An introduction to modern astronomy's most important questions. The four sections of the course are Planets and Life in The Universe; The Life of Stars; Galaxies and Their Environments; The History of The Universe....

GB

Aug 01, 2017

Excellent course. Very clear lectures that cover a lot of ground in not a lot of time. Fantastic overview of most of what we know about astronomy and how we know it. Best class I've taken on Coursera.

AM

Apr 12, 2018

The is the first time I have rated a course with 5 stars, but this one is worth it. I audited and did not take the exams, but I thoroughly enjoyed the lectures and I learned a lot.

1 - 25 of 104 Reviews for Confronting The Big Questions: Highlights of Modern Astronomy

By Antonia T B

Jun 22, 2018

This course is fascinating. The teacher is great. But the Quizzes are IMPOSSIBLE to pass. They require a simulator that does not work and all the questions have multiple answers and are extremely difficult. Also, there are A LOT of questions in every Quiz: 25. I am extremely sad, but I think I'm going to have to drop this course. It's the first time that I will have to do something like this, but I cannot lose my time repeating for ever an extremely difficult and impossible quiz in a course that it's not intended for professional physicians. I have notified Coursera several times about the extreme difficulty of the Quiz but nobody did anything. If in the future this Quiz is updated and made for learners, then I will happily continue the course. I've read in the Forum that many learners have had the same problems, but nobody arranged the Quizzes. Such a pity. The teacher is great and the lectures are fascinating. But already the 1st Quiz is impossible to pass (even if you take thousands of notes, like I did).

By Sabine L

Apr 02, 2017

Again a course that comes with very simple (and not always good prepared) video lectures but for recieving a grade an enormous math knowledge is necessary, with no further help given

By Hafeiz A

Jan 21, 2018

An excellent introduction to the big concepts of Astronomy

By Alexander B

Oct 06, 2016

Very interesting course, isn't too geeky and mathematical, unlike many other astronomy courses. The only thing bothering me was the inability to learn the correct answers and explanations to quiz questions. Some of those were rather mindboggling.

By Natalia S

Mar 10, 2017

This course is the worst i have taken on coursera. They just want to mention everything in very short time. Quiz is much harder than material on video.

By E. R L

Jun 24, 2018

Can't complete the first quiz because I can't download the simulators. - hence can't complete the course.

By Ann M H

Jul 19, 2017

Professor Frank is super down-to-earth (ha) and easy-going, so the difficult concepts seem less intimidating. I like how the videos are cut into short, topical sections, and the information on the green screen next to him helps with understanding. The weekly lecture note PowerPoint slides are even more detailed.

I had a basic understanding of astronomy coming in, and this course struck a good balance between reviewing info I already knew, and introducing me to some more challenging concepts.

The quizzes were pretty difficult for me, and I had to take 3/4 twice to get a passing score. You really have to take what you learned, think about it deeply, then apply it. It wasn't just regurgitating information, which was good, it also meant I was scouring my notes and Google for a long time. They aren't kidding when they say the quizzes take 50 minutes!

If you can finish this course in four weeks, I applaud you. I admit I wasn't very diligent, but it's a lot of information to digest each week. I took closer to 10 weeks, but they were well-spent months! I learned a lot, and could subsequently "wow" my friends. Very well-done course! Thank you!

By bernardhung

Oct 23, 2016

Prof Adam has done superbly well in engaging viewers into the subject, the structure of the course is obviously well thought out, so that viewers will be able to comprehend step by step into the deeper mystery of the modem Astronomy has to offer without going into the maths.

After the course, I have the dismay feeling that the course has ended and human being is so minute compared to the vast mega parsec of the Universe.

Bravo !!

By Ayan

Feb 01, 2016

Now this course might seem small but it is not, the test are really challenging and the knowledge of video lectures aren't enough, you have to dig deep and study from other sources too. The simulations in the test and exercises are cool and fun way to learn. I will highly recommend anyone who is interested in cosmology to take this course but be prepared the ocean is not that calm as it seems.

Happy learning.

By Jana K

Mar 18, 2018

I enjoyed every single session within this course. The topics, the materials, the small tests after each topic and as well the quizzes. Professor Frank explained everything in a clear and understandable way, I did learn a lot about our universe. Of course, studying is needed for passing this course, but I am here to learn afterall and I appreciate the quizzes which made me think and thus test my knowledge

Jan 03, 2016

Wish I had more professors like mr Frank. His speech being concise and pleasant, it is truly enjoyable to listen to and watch the lectures ; also the 'touch the surface' attitude on various topics boosts your curiosity to look further on and search for answers on your own. This being my first enrollment on Coursera, I cannot but expect the best, as these first lectures have really set the tone.

By Sai K R

Jan 25, 2016

Great introduction to Astronomy! I learnt a lot about the current state and the unsolved challenges in this field. I liked that I could play with various simulators and develop detailed understanding.

As a beginner in Astronomy, I had a little difficulty finishing the first and last week's quizzes. Apart from that, I was able to easily follow the content in the course.

By Lynn N

Mar 23, 2017

So far a very easy to understand and enjoyable course. As someone coming from High school with some research and knowledge in Astronomy this was a great way to fill in the gaps in my knowledge and get a more technical sense of Astronomy. The prof makes this incredibly enjoyable. Lectures are paced well and the 'homework'/practice work is easy enough.

By Hung C K

Mar 07, 2016

It's my first course on Coursera, and also my first astronomy course.

It was fantastic, No lot's of calculation, but more focus on the concepts, such as relativity, standard model of particles, quantum mechanics. Sounds hard, but easy actually.

Thanks Prof. Adam Frank.

Everyone can take this course, even without science background.

By Peter M

Mar 15, 2017

If you know nothing about astronomy, this is a great starting point. You will cover a brief overview of everything from the solar system to the frontiers of dark matter and dark energy. It will allow you to get a taste of everything so that when you're ready, you can dive in deeper to the topics that interest you the most.

By Nair E

Nov 07, 2016

That the course was extremely interesting is an understatement, nothing that touches upon the most fundamental questions of our existence can be dull, but it also was very dynamic, the themes presented directly and well explained. The exerises where we used simulators were the final touch to completly understand concepts

By Petar T

Nov 09, 2016

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST COURSES AND BEST LECTURES I'VE SEEN, AMONG A LOT THAT I WENT THROUGH! Such fantastic and humorous way to lead the audience through wonders of the universe! Looking forward to MANY MANY more courses from this lecturer on any subject really - that's how engaging this course was for me! AWESOME!

By William M

Oct 05, 2017

I've taken three astronomy classes on Coursera and this was the best, most comprehensive and most informative. Each of the courses I took was different and had a unique perspective, so they were all worthwhile, but this is the astronomy course from which I learned the most and which I most highly recommend.

By Lisa T

Mar 08, 2017

Really great course, but I would recommend that if you haven't taken many classes in this branch of the sciences to take a different introductory course, first. It can still be done, but might require more study and review of additional resources.

By David D

Apr 24, 2019

Outstanding!Sso rare to find a lecturer who can deliver on the course material without having to read every line off of a prompter. Bravo for the delivery and terrific material. I don't say it was easy but the investment was worth the time.

By Denis K

Jan 09, 2016

Hi,

I tried to get knowledge about cosmology from my university but everithing was insignificant and boring. This course is more than amazing. I like it very much. Waiting for more courses ! Thanks a lot to you, professor!

By Peter H

Feb 25, 2016

Good course. Adam is a good teacher.

The topics are nice. It's about the big bang, supermassive black holes, and how a star is born and dies.. and then some :)

I really enjoyed taking this course. Two thumbs up!

By Gabe B

Aug 01, 2017

By José M B D

Sep 10, 2019

Gracias por este gran curso. Ha sido una experiencia increíble y he aprendido mucho.

Thanks for this great course. It has been an incredible experience and I have learned a lot of things

By Anne M