Back to C++ For C Programmers, Part A

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C++ For C Programmers, Part A by University of California, Santa Cruz

4.4

This course is for experienced C programmers who want to program in C++. The examples and exercises require a basic understanding of algorithms and object-oriented software....

RH

Oct 17, 2016

Just right for programmers seeking to update their skills to the new V11 C++. I recommend getting the book by the author that helps along with a text or Coursera course on Algorithms.

GD

Mar 23, 2016

A much needed course for all those students who have strong fundamentals in C Programming but lack the OOP skills in C++.\n\nStill there is a scope of improvement.

101 - 125 of 150 Reviews for C++ For C Programmers, Part A

By Robert M

Apr 01, 2017

I enjoyed this course. It was great as a review of C++ and an introduction to C++11 for me. The assignments are heavy in graph theory and are non-trivial.

By Monarth S

Nov 04, 2016

Very Nice Course...

By Tiantian G

Jul 11, 2017

Professor Pohl provided vivid clarification of important concepts in C++ programming. Homework projects are great opportunities to practice C++ programming. I also learned much from peer grading. Of course sometimes it can be really hard for a beginner to follow since the course targets experienced C/Java programmers.

By Thiago P B

Mar 17, 2017

Great overall introduction to C++ for C programmers. It should be emphasized FOR C PROGRAMMERS.

Once you know your stuff and a little bit of Computer Science (data structures and algorithms), this course can benefit you if you never had a formal course or introduction on C++.

The instructor is well-versed in the topic and the examples are pretty interesting from a CS point of view.

By Evan B

Nov 02, 2017

The course is great, the only thing that really annoys me is that the camera switches to the teacher talking rather than remaining on the notes he is talking about. I would have much preferred if the notes and the teacher were displayed simultaneously or if just the notes were displayed as we heard him talk. Too many times I found myself copying something down or elaborating on something only to look up and see the notes were replaced by video of the teacher.

By Jay

Jul 26, 2017

Pretty good course, learnt a lot for sure

By anjali p

Mar 18, 2017

it actually introduced c++11 features to me well,it was my first course on coursera and it is benificial to me in ways .

By Apoorv R

Jun 24, 2018

Good introductory course to C++ basics.

By Debjyoti M

Apr 16, 2016

This course provides good overview graph algorithms. It is not an extensive C++ course though.

By Pietro P

Oct 14, 2016

The course is good and exercises are not trivial, the teacher speaks very slowly but this is to accommodate not native English speakers and I find it to be fair.

The course mixes a bit of graph theory with the teaching of the C++ language and I reckon that to be a good idea as it makes you solving non trivial problems thus stressing the C++ topics covered during the lecture, that would not have been the case if problems were simpler.

The only big limit I see in the course is the grading system as the peer-review system does not work very well as the student's preparation is very uneven, you can't expect much more from an on-line course though.

To draw a conclusion I had the sense of having learned something at the end of the course, which is rewarding, I really appreciate the work you are doing in striving to provide the best knowledge to everybody, I think it is a small revolution.

By Zhaonian L

Sep 17, 2016

This could be better if the lectures have more hands on programming examples.

By Wong L L

Oct 15, 2017

If you have been a C programmer, this course is a gentle introduction to the world of C++. The programming exercises are good opportunities for you to rewrite some of your C codes in C++. The lectures are rather fun, Ira Pohl is a good at explaining, and he covers quite a lot of essential C++11 features.

By Ramani k

Jul 18, 2018

good

By Keerti R k

Jul 23, 2018

good and nice for programmers

By Vijit K

Nov 10, 2018

This course is a good warm-up for those who have been out of practice with programming.

By Nayan k

Jul 07, 2019

Good course.

By Sam

Jun 12, 2019

Professor Pohl is so calm and intuitive that just delivers the info right away. It's so smooth course as C engineer coming from Mechatronics major (missing a lot of graph theory and data structures). I'm glad that i was enrolled in the course and totally recommended! Points to improve: Codes representation could be improved for readability.

By Cristian S

Jul 22, 2019

Excellente course, learnt a lot about the history of C++, and different ways to make easier a pseudocode on the C++, and the importance of C++

By Nikita F

Jul 26, 2019

The quality of the presentation slides is not very good.

By Vladimir N

Sep 10, 2019

I've audit this course. It was helpful for me, especially C++11 new things.

By Richard D

Jul 10, 2017

The course provides good information, but I would not say it was the best-designed. The lectures were informative and the programming assignments were challenging, but I wouldn't say the really related to each other as much as I'd like. I would think that the important thing for C programmers moving to C++ would be to learn the exact syntax for how things are done in C++. At times this was lacking. The flip side was I didn't feel that the extended explanations of basic CS algorithms such as Minimum Spanning Tree and Shortest Path was necessary. I knew those algorithms earlier.

But my biggest complaint was the basic inattention. I felt like the course was on auto pilot. At one point a submission of mine was returned. I asked the forum for some kind of assistance or explanation from a mentor and no reply was given. I re-did the assignment and it was accepted but there was still little comment. And at the end of the course, my final assignment was only checked by two graders instead of three.

Was any human actually supervising things? I saw no evidence. Discouraging.

On the whole the least impressive of the four courses I've taken so far using Coursera. Which is a shame b/c it's arguably the most important to me.

By Nayef C

Dec 20, 2016

Do this course for the assignments and to have something that keeps you on schedule. But be prepared to do your own research on topics.

The professor goes off on pointless tangents forever. C is also supposed to be a prerequisite but then he ends also ends up explaining basic C (prefixing his explanation with you should know this). He then goes into these very specific, typical academic-style examples that he spends time talking about them (again pointless). And then very little time is left to explain the actual new C++ stuff, and he explains it assuming you kind-of know what he's talking about. So you'll have to stop the video and look up the topic online.

By Juanhao Z

Apr 10, 2017

I thought at first according to the title of this course, that it should be an intro for c programmers. But it is more like a brush-up for already c++ programmers. Be ready to take some other course or reading parallel. Otherwise the homeworks are absolutely interesting and suitable for new-comer. It would be better if more videos with more details could be made.