Back to C++ For C Programmers, Part A

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C++ For C Programmers, Part A by University of California, Santa Cruz

4.4

This course is for experienced C programmers who want to program in C++. The examples and exercises require a basic understanding of algorithms and object-oriented software....

RH

Oct 17, 2016

Just right for programmers seeking to update their skills to the new V11 C++. I recommend getting the book by the author that helps along with a text or Coursera course on Algorithms.

GD

Mar 23, 2016

A much needed course for all those students who have strong fundamentals in C Programming but lack the OOP skills in C++.\n\nStill there is a scope of improvement.

126 - 150 of 152 Reviews for C++ For C Programmers, Part A

By Bingen E

Jan 13, 2017

It accomplishes the main goal: help with the leap from C to C++, but:

- It's damn slow. I had to use the 1.5x or 2x speed all the time, and I'm not native English.- The format of the slides is really ugly (e.g., those bullet points in the code)- No lecture notes are provided- The references are to his (expensive) books instead- No source code of examples is provided either- Graph theory is interesting, but out of scope. Waste of time for those who already know it are not interested in and just want to learn C++. It would be better to provide references for optional reading or reviewing.

By Guilherme M F

Oct 19, 2016

The course presents the topics in a non-linear manner. It should be called "Learning graphs with C++"

By Juanhao Z

Apr 10, 2017

I thought at first according to the title of this course, that it should be an intro for c programmers. But it is more like a brush-up for already c++ programmers. Be ready to take some other course or reading parallel. Otherwise the homeworks are absolutely interesting and suitable for new-comer. It would be better if more videos with more details could be made.

By Derick R

Aug 30, 2017

Too much focus on implementing Graph algorithms and too little about actually learning C++. The homework assignments time allocation (2 * 2 hours) is by far not enough to be able to complete the assignments.

By Patrick S

Mar 07, 2018

This was more of a "Learn Dijkstra's Algorithm using C++" rather than a "Learn C++" class. I felt like the lectures were more focused on algorithms (Dijkstra's, graph theory, etc) rather than learning about the features available in C++ and when to use them. Additionally, the homeworks were pretty lopsided, with some weeks being very lightweight and others being very intensive.

By Richard D

Jul 10, 2017

The course provides good information, but I would not say it was the best-designed. The lectures were informative and the programming assignments were challenging, but I wouldn't say the really related to each other as much as I'd like. I would think that the important thing for C programmers moving to C++ would be to learn the exact syntax for how things are done in C++. At times this was lacking. The flip side was I didn't feel that the extended explanations of basic CS algorithms such as Minimum Spanning Tree and Shortest Path was necessary. I knew those algorithms earlier.

But my biggest complaint was the basic inattention. I felt like the course was on auto pilot. At one point a submission of mine was returned. I asked the forum for some kind of assistance or explanation from a mentor and no reply was given. I re-did the assignment and it was accepted but there was still little comment. And at the end of the course, my final assignment was only checked by two graders instead of three.

Was any human actually supervising things? I saw no evidence. Discouraging.

On the whole the least impressive of the four courses I've taken so far using Coursera. Which is a shame b/c it's arguably the most important to me.

By Tanushree v

Jul 20, 2018

good course but trainer doesnt go in deep

By YC X

Jun 10, 2019

Not that detail.

By harry l

Aug 14, 2019

i must admit that i thought i would gain some more basic knowledge on c++

some namespace discussions , oop , special pointers etc.

the exercises were hard but... no real grasp of the c++ advantages.

i don't think i'll enroll to part B at this moment but im sure am encouraged to keep on learning this language also because of this course, and that's the reason for the third star i gave.

By Dimitris K

Jan 14, 2019

The video sessions are nice and very informative. However, the examples in the videos are a "toy" compared to the assignment of implementing a Monte Carlo simulation for Dijkstra's algo. The directions in the description of the assignment are very poorly written and the specs are blurry and difficult to clarify by yourself. The MST assignment is much easier, but still the directions are not well prepared.

By Parinay

Apr 05, 2016

- Assumptions about the student are not clear, before starting the course.

Instructor examples are not practical in all contexts.

Jump to dijkstra in very second week, without clarity on major C++ concepts and examples, is too much an expectation from the student switching from C to C++ for the first time.

Confusion with deadline for assignments.

too many lectures during later week courses, as if the effort is to crunch everything in that week and complete the course.

If its spaced properly with examples and problems over few more weeks, it would help.

By Amit J

Mar 16, 2016

The instructor speaks too slow. Teaching concepts that are not valid anymore. e.g. prefer inline over function call, const vs #define, declaring variable anywhere in the code etc...

The topics are too small and too much time is devoted to them.

By Asterios K

Apr 07, 2017

Lots of overlap in the videos, not a lot of information on C++ features, too few hands-on activities with the features taught.

By Nadav S

Sep 19, 2017

Very superficial. I found that I know c++ to a limited extent, and that for practical uses I must learn a significant amount of information from other sources. In short, this course is an introduction but does not give you enough tools to call yourself a c++ programmer.

By Tuo L

Oct 22, 2017

I gave this course two star for taking my responsibility. The course is bad designed. The homework has less clue and you may only find 50% or less related knowledge from the lectures. The final quiz is ridiculous (too many questions about number calculation and I cannot believe there are questions like what did D. Ritchie B. Stroustrup E. Dijkstra L. Euler do or invent?!!!). It seems that the professor or his assistant did not put too much effort into providing this course. Though I learned something from it and it pushed me to learn several c++ skills, in a google searching way.

By Ranip H

Nov 17, 2016

Very poorly designed course material. Everything has been split up.

By Nishchaya B

Jul 31, 2017

The instructor is way too boring. I've tried hard to watch these lectures at least thrice but I loose interest after a while. There's a lack of energy and no connection with the audience.

By weimian

Sep 02, 2018

no Chinese subtitles and it is really hard for me to figure all the English subtitles and knowledge. I feel that upset concerning no Chinese translation and I think it should be improved sooner or later. or Chinese learners like me would not learn as much as students who have English as their mother languages.

By Jong B P

Jul 14, 2019

Not organized well.

By Vedanth R

Sep 16, 2019

Very low effort put in designing the course. Lecture content is not useful for the most part. Assignments are peer-reviewed instead of designing test-cases.

By Arunava N

Aug 15, 2016

Instructor speaks too slow and sometimes hardly audible with my earphones plugged in with 100% sound. Incredibly slow paced. Coffee must!!! Too much of story and history and introduction. Much less material presented for concepts shown. Much of the lecture time is wasted on things which does not matter, for example Djikstra shortest path... I would be more interested to know about the algorithm than a huge lecture on who is Djikstra, and also would like to have some exercise to implement the same and realise. Very unsatisfied with the course. But there is no other courses offered for C++ programming language in English Language. Not worth the time.

By Coppini D

Dec 14, 2016

Peer to peer assignments are really slow and due time dependent.

By Denise T