Back to Camera Control

Camera Control, Michigan State University

About this Course

Welcome to Course Two of Photography Basics and Beyond: From Smartphone to DSLR! Now that you have a broad understanding of the various types of cameras, the importance of setting up Menus and Functions to gain control in your photography, and the difference between Auto and Program exposure modes, you are ready to move into even greater Camera Control! In these 4 Modules we will concentrate on gaining the knowledge necessary to make use of Exposure Modes, Light Metering, Effects of various ISO settings, Lens options, using Shutter Speeds to convey aspects of Time in both documentary and creative ways, and exploring the controlled focus effects that Depth of Field Principles make possible. You will also continue to make new photographs and, if you are a subscriber to the specialization, continue interacting with your fellow learners as you share photographs for Peer Review. You will also confirm your knowledge through completion of quizzes and written responses. Let's get started with Module One!...

By CL

Feb 13, 2018

The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. The projects are instructional and test you to learn, try, etc. It made me think of new ways to capture images and inspired me to photograph every day!

By AT

Dec 02, 2017

Great course structure. Great Professors and Mentors. This course has really help me grow a lot as a photographer. I'm so thankful to Coursera & MSU for putting such a great course for learners.

179 Reviews

By Jean Barykin

Feb 13, 2019

Great course. Starts to take you out of your comfort zone and start to really explore. I loved the action and stop action assignments.

By Maria Eugenia Pantoja

Feb 07, 2019

I loved it.

By Shamily Kripakaran

Jan 27, 2019

I like to learn a lot from ur teaching

By Amy Eilertsen

Jan 16, 2019

great course! I have had a long-term interest in photography but hadn't had the background basics that this course provides. Super-helpful.

By Abdurrahman Secgin

Dec 31, 2018

recommended course!

By Roberto Barbiero

Nov 22, 2018

Excelent

By Karen Whitney

Nov 19, 2018

Excellent topics presented in a compelling and thoughtful manner.

By Anlys Maldonado

Oct 29, 2018

Great course

By Carlos fleri

Oct 25, 2018

Really good course I thought an online course was pointless as I could just read up myself and I tried that. I have now done one section of the course and what I have learned in that short space of time is unreal also viewing other photographers work and getting feedback has given me confidence, inspiration and ideas. Now I have a much better understanding of the camera settings I have gone through pictures I had took before and wonder why I used those settings.

By George Belgrave-Herbert