Back to Camera Control

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Camera Control by Michigan State University

Welcome to Course Two of Photography Basics and Beyond: From Smartphone to DSLR! Now that you have a broad understanding of the various types of cameras, the importance of setting up Menus and Functions to gain control in your photography, and the difference between Auto and Program exposure modes, you are ready to move into even greater Camera Control! In these 4 Modules we will concentrate on gaining the knowledge necessary to make use of Exposure Modes, Light Metering, Effects of various ISO settings, Lens options, using Shutter Speeds to convey aspects of Time in both documentary and creative ways, and exploring the controlled focus effects that Depth of Field Principles make possible. You will also continue to make new photographs and, if you are a subscriber to the specialization, continue interacting with your fellow learners as you share photographs for Peer Review. You will also confirm your knowledge through completion of quizzes and written responses. Let's get started with Module One!...

DA
Feb 12, 2018

The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. The projects are instructional and test you to learn, try, etc. It made me think of new ways to capture images and inspired me to photograph every day!

AT
Dec 1, 2017

Great course structure. Great Professors and Mentors. This course has really help me grow a lot as a photographer. I'm so thankful to Coursera & MSU for putting such a great course for learners.

26 - 50 of 411 Reviews for Camera Control

By Tricia C

Apr 29, 2021

As a person who has been taking documentary style photos (badly) for over ten years, the course was the perfect introduction to getting me started on the right path to making great photos. The mix of theory and practice with sharing and reviews is perfect for those who may be a little shy about sharing their work. One of the most important things I learned is that it's not about the equipment you have but the skill and techniques you use. I highly encourage doing the entire specialization. You will never think about photography the same way again.

By Joan Y

Apr 2, 2016

I think this course gives me the most fundamental knowledge of photography, which consists of many new words and ideas. Thanks to this series of courses, I began to work better on my photograph skills, and I found it really interesting and amazing. The only thing I'm not quite pleased with is the payment of the full course, without the upgrades, I just can't review others' works and that's disappointing. But anyway, I will continue this specialism and I hope it's the right choice.

By Robert d B

Feb 11, 2017

I especially liked to learn about the equivalent and combination shooting modes. I was aware there was of course a relationship, but wouldn't have been able to explain it and now I can and find it very useful in practice. Also the light metering modes were very enlightening.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,

Robert

By Sandeep J C

Aug 13, 2019

I learned a lot about the different aspects of photography and how what may seem evident has different nomenclature attached to its functioning. There are a lot of ways in which a good photograph can be interpreted as such and all these factors end up playing pivotal roles in becoming a good photographer.

By Dr D A

Jul 10, 2021

Im happy being a part of this course. It was overall a splendid journey with this course. Having zero knowledge and awareness about photography I took this course. Im glad im taking away immense knowlegde along with me as I complete this course. Thank you both my coaches for doing a wonderful job.

Jan 22, 2017

Great course. Just wish these guys would sort all the stupid bugs out. Uploading images can be temperamental. Can't do anything via the app. Images are to big. Nobody to notify. My review score is for the course and not necessarily for Coursera who need to iron out all the bugs.

By Keshab D P

Aug 23, 2020

Just would express sincere gratitude and thank you to the Great facilitator Prof. Peter Glendinning, Associate Prof, Mark Valentine Sullivan, Michigan State University and the coursera team. The journey of studying is really wonderful and Awesome experience. I learned a lot.

By Siddharth A

Jul 18, 2017

Another course complete and so much learnt from some of the great photographers and instructors out there. The approach of teaching a technique and core concepts related to it is simply amazing. This course is really recommended for new and seasoned photographers alike.

By Lila M

Jun 10, 2017

This is an amazing course for beginners and I would recommend it too for anyone that wants to review basics. It is so thorough! I have learned so much. And you can go back to review any lessons that you might want to revisit.

Highly recommend it. Worth every penny!

By Vlad M

Apr 24, 2016

I'm a novice in photography, I know how to deal with my camera, but I'm not confident with it. This course lighted some dark corners of not-understanding of mine like the flashlight used by Professor Glendinning in his "My Paris" series. I liked it very much. Thank you!

By catherine c w

Jul 26, 2020

The teachers keep this course interesting. I like the content. Wish we had more interaction than just the peer assessments. It would be nice to get feedback from a moderator or instructor more often, especially when we don't have a good photo. Thanks for offering this.

By Eric H

Apr 17, 2016

Excellent! I take my camera with me wherever I go now, and I am starting to get an eye for a photo; that tutorial on framing was a big help.

These courses are very thorough, with lots of photos to view as examples.

I am really looking forward to the rest of the course.

By Jim W

Aug 3, 2016

As someone who has often been complemented on his photographs, this course has nonetheless been of great value in that it has yet again forced me to step back and think before pressing the shutter. I am already seeing the improvements in my photography. Thank you.

By Jose O M F

Jul 26, 2017

I'm always impressed, more and more each time.

I can feel my growth as photographer based on my classmate comments about my work. Has been one of the greatest decisions to let this passion take over my life and being a part of this great world of the Photography.

By Chantelle E

Apr 15, 2016

I have loved this course as much as the first part. My work has dramatically improved by taking this course as my understanding of what I am doing has increased. Thank you for providing this specialization and I look forward to the next part.

By mahshid k

Oct 16, 2019

I learned many things from this course such as elements of buying camera, perfessional photography, importance of point of view and even elements of buying camera bag. I really satisfied with it and I will continue till the last part.

By Soon K N

Dec 4, 2016

Camera control is the practical foundational course to bring you up a notch above everyone else. It is like knowing what rpm of the engine to change gear is most optimal - it may not make you a better driver, but it definitely help.

By Julie I R

Apr 17, 2016

Me gustó mucho el curso. Quiero agradecer a los maestros Mark y Peter por el tiempo que le dedican a la enseñanza y por compartir sus conocimientos. He aprendido nuevos conceptos y técnicas y reforzado lo que ya sabía. Gracias.

By Justa H

Aug 17, 2019

The course is very stimulating and covers foundational elements that need to be understood if you want to make progress in your photography in the long term. I wish I had taken this course much earlier in my photography career!

By Joshua H C D

Jun 20, 2016

This course explain more in detail the practice of photography and is step by step, I really lIke the course and is not so expensive, there should give a continuity for all the for courses, maybe an advance course online.

By ANDRUS L

Oct 26, 2020

All technical aspects learned in this course of taking good photograph are very valuable. And still the best thing is assignments. Clear exercise to go out and complete(like real photographer)!

Big thanks to professors!!!

By Sierra N

Aug 25, 2020

I greatly enjoyed the projects in this course. It lead to a much greater understanding of what my camera and I are capable of capturing. It built well off of the information in the first course of the specialization.

By Mako H

May 22, 2020

I am a beginner photographer and this course is very very helpful to understand techniques. From now on, I can truly enjoy taking various pictures while using the skills I have learned through this course! Thank you

By Abhilash V

Dec 24, 2016

This course is all about the controlling elements of a great photo.How to take a purposeful blur image,how to take a action shot.You will learn about all this and more in this course.A must for a photography newbie.

By rami h a

Jun 12, 2017

all courses that related to that topic is amazing, furthermore here i start to sustain and strengthening my knowledge in photography and i feel that i put my first step in professional photography career path.